Porcupine Tree - new album, new tour, new age, new era

treeduck

52 minutes ago, zepphead said:

I had my first listen today (the deluxe version).

My first impressions are very positive - a most accomplished album which I think will grow and grow on me.

I've managed a couple full listens in the car, overall positive as well.  It seems like a continuation of where they left off on The Incident, which isn't may favorite material but it's still better than a lot of other things I could be listening to.  Maybe the surround mix will reveal some things (going to be a bit until the bluray arrives).

• Like 1

I've had my first listen my feeling is it's very good and that most folks who didn't like the last two Wilson solo projects (i did, lol)will like this way more.  as it's just sounds like PT (duh)

i will say it's a little too long for me and draggy in spots but songs i liked.

Harridan'

Of the New day (Classic PT ballad)

Herd Culling (REALLY dug this)

Chimera's Wreak

Love in the Past tense (great closer)

Need more spins but very early first impression rating.

7/10 (this is may not be my final so don't take it as such)

Mick

1 hour ago, zepphead said:

I had my first listen today (the deluxe version).

My first impressions are very positive - a most accomplished album which I think will grow and grow on me.

I have the album! As usual when I wanted just one item from amazon I ordered two items to put it over £20, making sure the second item is a pre-order a few weeks away. Then when my item is dispatched I cancelled the other item via the chat thingy, and voila free delivery secured again! Who's the daddy now Bezos??? HA HA HA!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I have the album! As usual when I wanted just one item from amazon I ordered two items to put it over £20, making sure the second item is a pre-order a few weeks away. Then when my item is dispatched I cancelled the other item via the chat thingy, and voila free delivery secured again! Who's the daddy now Bezos??? HA HA HA!

What do you think?

• Like 1

I’m loving the album and the bonus tracks.

To me this the album that The Incident should have been and is far better than that album.

There’s not a lot of new ground but you can really hear the difference between this and a SW solo album. Gavin’s playing is off the charts good too. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Tony R said:

To me this the album that The Incident should have been and is far better than that album.

There’s not a lot of new ground but you can really hear the difference between this and a SW solo album. Gavin’s playing is off the charts good too. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tony R said:

Agreed ..... I certainly think it is as good as The Incident if not better. Not sure what I was expecting but it certainly exceeds my expectations.

2 hours ago, stoopid said:

I've managed a couple full listens in the car, overall positive as well.  It seems like a continuation of where they left off on The Incident, which isn't may favorite material but it's still better than a lot of other things I could be listening to.  Maybe the surround mix will reveal some things (going to be a bit until the bluray arrives).

I have now had a second listen and I'm really enthused with it. A fine return from PT.

Busy this weekend with some personal stuff but I'm gonna give this a loud spin when I get back home.

I did not listen to the last two singles because I want to experience the album in whole. Harridan and OTND are awesome but they basically released half the album early and I'm gonna keep away from that for just a bit longer.

• Like 1

I've only listened to it once so far but I like it about as much as I expected to, not as good as the peaks with In Absentia or Fear of a Blank Planet, but still very good. The only song I don't really like is Walk The Plank. My Favorites are Rats Race, Chimera's Wreck, and Never Have. The bonus tracks feel necessary to the full album.

Also despite Gavin and Richard's contributions, for the most part the album reminds me of Grace For Drowning or The Raven That Refused to Sing more than anything PT. I guess that's expected since Steven's always been the primary songwriter, and this is just how his creative direction has changed over time. He's definitely divorced from guitar.

• Like 1

Haven't been out to the mailbox yet, but i know it's there. Amazon says so.

Going to be another play it at 11 night tonight.  ;)

PT is back on the menu boys!!!

Appetizing for sure.   It's nice to hear Steve program all the old bits in.

It's a PT album, and I'm happy to hear it.

This is an excellent album. I think this fits between The Incident and Lightbulb Sun in terms of direction. As it's always been with PT, the sound and production quality are off the charts. Still need to listen to this with headphones.

Harridan and Dignity are my current favorites. Dignity feels like it could've been on The Division Bell or Raven.

Gavin and Richard are the consistent stars of the show for me. I hear a lot of Pineapple Thief-esque dynamics (quiet/loud and rhythms I'd hear from Dissolution).

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 4:48 PM, Mr. Not said:

based on the two singles so far i'm relating it to "grace for drowning" the most, part of that is due to nick beggs on bass of course. if we get a less experimental version of "grace for drowning" with gavin added in then i won't be able to complain.

i didn't bother with future bites just based on the way steven promo'd it, said it'd be pop, etc. i think i turned off that one "shopper" song 3 minutes into it. about a year later i listened through it with a friend and we did a mystery science theater 3000 sort of thing with it by just mocking it the entire time, that was fun. 

I liked Future Bites quite a bit, tbh. A lot more than To The Bone. He's good at making this cold, impersonal sort of music that you get with 90s PT. To The Bone seems to be a necessary album for him but I'm glad he took a slight left turn for Future Bites instead of diving straight deeper.

Hand Cannot Erase is probably most PT fan's favorite solo album, but I don't think he could ever make another "conventional" prog album under the solo name again to that quality. He's said what he needs to say in that vein. And to his point in a few interviews so far, PT can't continue any more without more input from the other guys.

• Like 1

I love ths new album.  it get's better ever spin.  to me it's just PT picking right up where they left off. so i  donn't know what more one could want.  if you din't like say the last 2 PT albums you won't like this.

if you did no reason this won't please you i think.

Mick

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

I love ths new album.  it get's better ever spin.  to me it's just PT picking right up where they left off. so i  donn't know what more one could want.  if you din't like say the last 2 PT albums you won't like this.

if you did no reason this won't please you i think.

Mick

See, it feels like somewhere between The Incident and Lightbulb Sun to me.

Herd Culling could've been on Fear of a Blank Planet or Nil Recurring but the rest of this album feels closer to late 90s PT than it does 2002-2007.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this album. Even the stranger bits like Walk The Plank. This feels like Barbieri's most important album in the catalogue alongside FOABP.

• Like 1

have to say again that i really miss the guitar on this album. i don't think there are even any solos, which steven's usually pretty good at coming up with. a lot of the album has this general feeling of "empty space". I'd agree that if not feeling so much like a Steven solo record, I'd consider it a combination of "old and new" PT, it's like Maitland era only with Gavin.

my favorite songs remain the same only now with Dignity added in. It reminds me of Deform to Form a star for some reason, I guess just in the way it makes me feel, but someone in a review said the melody was directly lifted from In Absentia... but he didn't say where... maybe one of you guys might know, or i'll just figure it out myself the next time i listen through In Absentia. 

I could do individual analysis of each song a bit more, but I won't waste anyone's time with that. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

have to say again that i really miss the guitar on this album. i don't think there are even any solos, which steven's usually pretty good at coming up with. a lot of the album has this general feeling of "empty space". I'd agree that if not feeling so much like a Steven solo record, I'd consider it a combination of "old and new" PT, it's like Maitland era only with Gavin.

my favorite songs remain the same only now with Dignity added in. It reminds me of Deform to Form a star for some reason, I guess just in the way it makes me feel, but someone in a review said the melody was directly lifted from In Absentia... but he didn't say where... maybe one of you guys might know, or i'll just figure it out myself the next time i listen through In Absentia. 

I could do individual analysis of each song a bit more, but I won't waste anyone's time with that. 

Let's talk about something important, Is it heavy metal enough??

• Like 1

Still trying to digest the album.  Listened to the first half a few days ago, then the whole thing yesterday while on a drive.  Once I reached Never Have I ended up hitting repeat, and I’ve been repeating this song ever since!!!

• Like 1

Other than Harridan, I really wasn't that enthused with the singles. But I'm glad to have been proven wrong. Herd Culling's single edit wasn't great but the full song may be my favorite on the record. Overall this record is the best thing since Hand. Cannot. Erase.

A few stray thoughts:

• Of the New Day is about as generic a Porcupine Tree song as you'll ever find. 
  • Chimera's Wreck seems like it'd fit well on Grace for Drowning/The Raven That Refused to Sing, but still works as a great closer.
  • Still not feeling Dignity. It just feels a bit too long and doesn't really go anywhere. 
  • Never Have is great. It reminds me of a lost Blackfield song. 
  • Richard Barbieri really does shine more in this record than most others (beyond FoaBP) as The Analog Cub said. He's much more prominent\. I think his background contribution is something that's sorely been missing from Steven's solo records. 
Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Not said:

Did you also watch the Darren Lock review?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Did you also watch the Darren Lock review?

lmao yes, do you know what he's talking about with the "lifted from In Absentia" claim?

i checked out his music (you dont need to use a download code he provides, just go to his bandcamp) and it was really bad.

but i agreed with some of his points, he's just way too brutal on it. I like the album but would consider it a weaker PT album, and it could have been SW solo had I not known any better.