Porcupine Tree - new album, new tour, new age, new era

treeduck

i did enjoy this second single more than the first, both were enjoyable ofc.

i'm limiting how much i listen to either of them though, i really want to wait for the full album

i watched a recent interview they did which got me more excited for this album, richard says he's felt a change in the way he's contributing synths/soundscapes, and this effort seems to be more collaborative than previously, meaning the rest of the band is more involved with steven's songwriting

if all goes well this might not be the last porcupine tree album, hence the title

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

i did enjoy this second single more than the first, both were enjoyable ofc.

i'm limiting how much i listen to either of them though, i really want to wait for the full album

i watched a recent interview they did which got me more excited for this album, richard says he's felt a change in the way he's contributing synths/soundscapes, and this effort seems to be more collaborative than previously, meaning the rest of the band is more involved with steven's songwriting

if all goes well this might not be the last porcupine tree album, hence the title

They are definitely keeping the door open to making more music together.  Took a pandemic to make this a reality?

1 hour ago, stoopid said:

They are definitely keeping the door open to making more music together.  Took a pandemic to make this a reality?

I’m glad anything good has come out of the pandemic at all. Now if only it could’ve convinced Genesis to reunite the full five man lineup, lol.

13 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I'm also trying to refrain from hearing the new songs much more. I do like them a bit but I'd like to judge them in the context of the album. I'm mostly trying to stick to their existing catalogue for now. 

another interesting thing they said is that this is the first PT album which isn’t a concept album or “loosely themed”. a let down tbh, but i’m sure the full album will still have its own unique charm.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

another interesting thing they said is that this is the first PT album which isn’t a concept album or “loosely themed”. a let down tbh, but i’m sure the full album will still have its own unique charm.

To their credit, they wrote the thing off and on for years. Plus this has much more collaboration from Barberie and Harrison than before. I hope it sounds like yet another progression of their sound, even if it comes out sounding a little derivative of The Incident. Either this is a cash grab due to the inability to tour The Future Bites or hopefully it's the start of actual reconciliation 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

To their credit, they wrote the thing off and on for years. Plus this has much more collaboration from Barberie and Harrison than before. I hope it sounds like yet another progression of their sound, even if it comes out sounding a little derivative of The Incident. Either this is a cash grab due to the inability to tour The Future Bites or hopefully it's the start of actual reconciliation 

based on the two singles so far i'm relating it to "grace for drowning" the most, part of that is due to nick beggs on bass of course. if we get a less experimental version of "grace for drowning" with gavin added in then i won't be able to complain.

i didn't bother with future bites just based on the way steven promo'd it, said it'd be pop, etc. i think i turned off that one "shopper" song 3 minutes into it. about a year later i listened through it with a friend and we did a mystery science theater 3000 sort of thing with it by just mocking it the entire time, that was fun. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

i didn't bother with future bites just based on the way steven promo'd it, said it'd be pop, etc. i think i turned off that one "shopper" song 3 minutes into it. about a year later i listened through it with a friend and we did a mystery science theater 3000 sort of thing with it by just mocking it the entire time, that was fun. 

You gave Future Bites more attention than it deserves.  lol

5 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Either this is a cash grab due to the inability to tour The Future Bites or hopefully it's the start of actual reconciliation 

Interesting point that I hadn't considered in my blind joy of having PT back.  In many ways, I'm glad SW didn't tour that POS album [granted there's a couple tracks that aren't bad on it, but it's a huge swing and miss for me otherwise].

"We would like to welcome Randy McStine and Nate Navarro to the Porcupine Tree touring line up. Both are incredibly talented musicians and we have already had the pleasure of rehearsing the new material with them. It’s sounding fantastic and we’re looking forward to the tours later this year."

RandyMcStine-768x768.jpg

CleanShot-2022-05-06-at-12.08.12@2x-768x

• Like 3

3 hours ago, treeduck said:

"We would like to welcome Randy McStine and Nate Navarro to the Porcupine Tree touring line up. Both are incredibly talented musicians and we have already had the pleasure of rehearsing the new material with them. It’s sounding fantastic and we’re looking forward to the tours later this year."

RandyMcStine-768x768.jpg

Cool. Based on my <1 minute web search research, it looks like Nate's a bass teacher on youtube and Richard is a solo artist, but has collabed with Marco Minnemann. Either way, it seems like they're both fresh blood, and i like to seethat.

• Like 2

I listened to The Future Bits a couple times last year. I really liked it.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:18 PM, Mr. Not said:

Cool. Based on my <1 minute web search research, it looks like Nate's a bass teacher on youtube and Richard is a solo artist, but has collabed with Marco Minnemann. Either way, it seems like they're both fresh blood, and i like to seethat.

The bass player was heavily involved in Devin Townsend's Empath project and tour. He's very very good. 

• Like 1

Just now, Union 5-3992 said:

The bass player was heavily involved in Devin Townsend's Empath project and tour. He's very very good. 

That's a great record!

4 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

i have zero doubt about it, i just think the lesser known the recruits the better 

On 5/6/2022 at 8:02 PM, treeduck said:

RandyMcStine-768x768.jpg

Absolutely fantastic news!!  I was especially excited for Randy when I heard this - he and Marco Minnemann produced two of my favorite albums in 2020/21.  Great player, excellent all around musician (he plays the bass and drums as well). and a great singer.  He knows Wes (John Wesley) pretty well also - there is not a better fit for this job on the planet.

• Like 1

Chomping at the bit for a leak. Doubt I'll have the box set arrive by release day.  I've enjoyed the first three released tracks gonna skip listening to Rats just because I want something 'new' to enjoy.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, stoopid said:

Chomping at the bit for a leak. Doubt I'll have the box set arrive by release day.  I've enjoyed the first three released tracks gonna skip listening to Rats just because I want something 'new' to enjoy.

I've been searching for a leak too - I'll be travelling for a few weeks and won't be home to receive the box set.  No luck thus far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cygnify said:

I've been searching for a leak too - I'll be travelling for a few weeks and won't be home to receive the box set.  No luck thus far.

I feel bad for the reviewers, the power they must have over them for not a single copy to trickle out from all those music nerd hands.

Reviewer: "I'd like to review your album, Mr PT."

Mr PT: "Sign here in blood.  Which of your children will you be using as collateral?"

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 1:07 PM, stoopid said:

I feel bad for the reviewers, the power they must have over them for not a single copy to trickle out from all those music nerd hands.

Reviewer: "I'd like to review your album, Mr PT."

Mr PT: "Sign here in blood.  Which of your children will you be using as collateral?"

As of ~ 4 hours ago, the standard (7 song) version has leaked.  This will have to be good enough for the moment, as I'll be getting on a plane tomorrow for a transatlantic flight.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cygnify said:

As of ~ 4 hours ago, the standard (7 song) version has leaked.  This will have to be good enough for the moment, as I'll be getting on a plane tomorrow for a transatlantic flight.

Appreciate the head's up.

17 hours ago, stoopid said:

Appreciate the head's up.

Deluxe Edition is now out there; for those waiting for their Deluxe Editions...

I got a note this morning from the "official store" from whom I originally ordered with last November.  They said they have stocking issues and it will be another week wait, maybe.  So, I went over to my old standby, Burning Shed - not only did they have copies of the Deluxe CD/BR set ready to ship, the total price with shipping to the US has now dropped - and it's ~$20 cheaper from BS. The timing isn't important to me due to some travel, but the price was much better and Townsend has a bad reputation with squirrely communication.   So, I cancelled my order with Townsend, and ordered with Burning Shed this morning - and they already have my copy on it's way (insured, etc. to the US).  It'll be at my place sooner and cheaper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cygnify said:

Deluxe Edition is now out there; for those waiting for their Deluxe Editions...

I got a note this morning from the "official store" from whom I originally ordered with last November.  They said they have stocking issues and it will be another week wait, maybe.  So, I went over to my old standby, Burning Shed - not only did they have copies of the Deluxe CD/BR set ready to ship, the total price with shipping to the US has now dropped - and it's ~$20 cheaper from BS. The timing isn't important to me due to some travel, but the price was much better and Townsend has a bad reputation with squirrely communication.   So, I cancelled my order with Townsend, and ordered with Burning Shed this morning - and they already have my copy on it's way (insured, etc. to the US).  It'll be at my place sooner and cheaper.

I got the same notification by email this morning.  Thanks for the pro tip, I just did the same thing (cancelled/ordered from Burning Shed).

Edited by stoopid

I had my first listen today (the deluxe version).

My first impressions are very positive - a most accomplished album which I think will grow and grow on me.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2