The 2022 NFL Season Thread

Principled Man

8 hours ago, Principled Man said:

This Packer fan is happy that the dysfunctional season is over, but now comes the hard part.  The Packers have to decide whether to part ways with Aaron Rodgers (and pay him $58 million) or have him be the starter next year and probably repeat this year's failure. 

I don't see the Packers eating $58 million dollars and getting nothing out of it.  I predict that Rodgers will be back.  I could be wrong.      

If they cut him, he's actually got nearly $100 million dead cap hit this year. That's absurd. That drops to a $24m cap hit next year. His contract runs until he's 43. Jordan Love's rookie deal expires after next year, so got to figure out if he's the answer. Only somewhat reasonable solution is start Love next year and just have Rodgers sit and cash his checks. Cowherd made a good point...GB has blown the last game the past 3 years with Rodgers playing...at what point do you move on? If Rodgers doesn't start and becomes his typical dickhead, just let him stay home and send the checks.

It's slowly starting to show the Lions getting the better of the Stafford/Goff deal. The talk in Detroit about Goff just being a bridge QB is dying off. He's a system QB, but still very good in the right system. Detroit's at the turning point and it would stupid to turn to a rookie QB at this point. Lions also have the Rams #1 pick at 6 this year. Would not surprise me if Stafford is done. 

• Like 3

Playoff rules making the Chargers and Cowboys play on the road is a travesty.  I get allowing the top team in a trash conference into the playoffs, but letting them host?  :blink:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chicken hawk said:

Since the Patriots are out of it  , i think I'll go with The Buccaneers.    Go Tom Brady !  :sundog:

There's no way they should win.  Which means they probably will!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 12:54 PM, goose said:

Playoff rules making the Chargers and Cowboys play on the road is a travesty.  I get allowing the top team in a trash conference into the playoffs, but letting them host?  :blink:

Totally inconsistent by the fact that the team with the top record gets the #1 seed, but records don't apply to 2-7 seeds. In the name of fair competition, match up all the seeds by record like any other normal championship tournament. Of course, there's typical NFL owner politics at play since they're sticks in the mud. This policy is left over from the days of a single wild card team. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 11:54 AM, goose said:

The NFL obviously wants to keep the divisions important. 

On 1/9/2023 at 11:21 AM, Principled Man said:

This Packer fan is happy that the dysfunctional season is over, but now comes the hard part.  The Packers have to decide whether to part ways with Aaron Rodgers (and pay him $58 million) or have him be the starter next year and probably repeat this year's failure. 

I don't see the Packers eating $58 million dollars and getting nothing out of it.  I predict that Rodgers will be back.  I could be wrong.      

He'll be back and play well next year. 

14 hours ago, goose said:

Awarding a spot certainly does that.  

I suppose at some point those 2-7 seeds will need to play a road game to advance.

Edit: Tampa Bay and Jacksonville had approx. .500 records at home, so no apparent home field advantage. 

Edited by HemiBeers
because

43 minutes ago, HemiBeers said:

I suppose at some point those 2-7 seeds will need to play a road game to advance.

Edit: Tampa Bay and Jacksonville had approx. .500 records at home, so no apparent home field advantage. 

Travelling east is never easy

• Like 1

Yellow flags flying everywhere in the second half.

Except when SF is holding Metcalf. :thumbsdown:

Tgat aside, how about the  Niner triple threat of Kittle, McCaffrey,  and Samuel? :notworthy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goose said:

Yellow flags flying everywhere in the second half.

Except when SF is holding Metcalf. :thumbsdown:

Tgat aside, how about the  Niner triple threat of Kittle, McCaffrey,  and Samuel? :notworthy:

I'm extremely conflicted and frustrated by the fact that both McCaffery and Purdy are playing and so very well for SF.  They are both so fun to watch play and easy to look at that I can't help but root for them, but that means SF is going to do well.  Dam it!!!  :confused:  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Weakly Criminal said:

I'm extremely conflicted and frustrated by the fact that both McCaffery and Purdy are playing and so very well for SF.  They are both so fun to watch play and easy to look at that I can't help but root for them, but that means SF is going to do well.  Dam it!!!  :confused:  

Is there a more complete team in the NFL?  Purdy is Brady-esque in his methodical execution, his ability to read quickly, and the wisdom to sense pressure, scramble and throw it away.  Seattle needed that element today.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, goose said:

Chargers so far demonstrably confirming what the Titans merely suggested last week, that the Jags do not belong in these playoffs. 

Seattle at least looked like they belonged for two quarters, until SF completely took the game over in the 2nd half.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Seattle at least looked like they belonged for two quarters, until SF completely took the game over in the 2nd half.

Seattle have up any opportunity to win by fumbling in the red zone (that turned into 8 pts, which is an 11 to 15 pt turnaround), then by committing 3 false start penalties and three man downfield penalties.  They needed to play a perfect game, and instead fell far short in the second half.  Credit SF for taking what they were given and punishing their opponent's miscues.  I worry about my Chiefs in that respect, not having a killer instinct.

• Like 2

And the Jags in turn come out and show that the Chargers really don't belong.  :tongue:

BTW, 3rd and goal on the 1yd  and you get a delay of game?

:blink:. Got the TD anyway, lol

35 minutes ago, goose said:

Seattle have up any opportunity to win by fumbling in the red zone (that turned into 8 pts, which is an 11 to 15 pt turnaround), then by committing 3 false start penalties and three man downfield penalties.  They needed to play a perfect game, and instead fell far short in the second half.  Credit SF for taking what they were given and punishing their opponent's miscues.  I worry about my Chiefs in that respect, not having a killer instinct.

Not sure I agree.  The KSC's can pour it on like anybody. They may not be the most physical team in the league, but what they do, they do like nobody else. I like their chances again this year, I'll be rooting for them, as my Cowboys are going exactly nowhere.  :eh:  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

JAX making a game of it. Do they belong in the playoffs now?

No.  But a better question is whether Staley belongs in this league?  :tongue:

Chargers gonna charge.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

JAX making a game of it. Do they belong in the playoffs now?

1 minute ago, goose said:

No.  But a better question is whether Staley belongs in this league?  :tongue:

Chargers gonna charge.

Yep. They do love a heartbreaking loss.

JAX wins 31-30. Give them credit for the comeback, but the Chargers went out of their way to lose this one.

• Like 3

• The topic was unpinned