The 2022 NFL Season Thread

Principled Man

Hamlin is from McKees Rocks, a blue collar kinda down and out (since steel jobs left over the years)  area of Pittsburgh. He's had a small go fund me for the past few years to help kids in his mom's day care have a better Christmas, the goal this year was $2500.00. Since the accident, it's total has reached over 3 million dollars. A small bright spot, anyway.  https://people.com/sports/donations-to-damar-hamlin-community-toy-drive-surge-after-his-injury/

• Like 5

It will be very interesting to see how the NFL reschedules the Bills/Bengals game.   

The game was stopped in the 1st quarter, so declaring the Bengals the winner wouldn’t be fair.  Declaring the game a tie doesn’t sound right.  Cancelling the game would alter the playoff seeding.  Pushing the playoffs back a week could wreak havoc with fans’ travel plans.  

Quite the quagmire.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

It will be very interesting to see how the NFL reschedules the Bills/Bengals game.   

The game was stopped in the 1st quarter, so declaring the Bengals the winner wouldn’t be fair.  Declaring the game a tie doesn’t sound right.  Cancelling the game would alter the playoff seeding.  Pushing the playoffs back a week could wreak havoc with fans’ travel plans.  

Quite the quagmire.  

I read a thing this morning that said the NFL might declare it a tie. Can't imagine that would please anyone, so maybe that's in its favor . . .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

It's the timing of the hit, and the timing has to be perfect.

Skip to 3:25 if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

I saw something similar on YouTube last night soon after he was taken to the hospital.   Think of all the chest shots guys take, the number of broken ribs, yet guys walk away.

I've long been wondering why the offensive player is still allowed to lower his head or shoulder like a weapon when defense is now flagged for the same.  Maybe this will drive a rule change in that regard

• Like 1

5 hours ago, goose said:

I saw something similar on YouTube last night soon after he was taken to the hospital.   Think of all the chest shots guys take, the number of broken ribs, yet guys walk away.

I've long been wondering why the offensive player is still allowed to lower his head or shoulder like a weapon when defense is now flagged for the same.  Maybe this will drive a rule change in that regard

While quarterbacks are especially in need of protection, players in all positions are at risk of severe injury, Wasserman noted.

“For all the focus on rules surrounding quarterbacks, the essence of the game at all positions remains embedded in its violence, with the expectation of injury being virtually universal,” he wrote.

Replacing tackling with the use of flags “may be the game’s only hope,” he went on, adding:

The violence lovers will whine that the sport is going “wimpy.” But in the long term, the whole game must be overhauled and made less brutal. The grotesque parade of seriously harmed young stars being carted off the field is not sustainable.

Is that what you want? Flags?

🤣 

Yeah flags aren't wimpy.

7 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I read a thing this morning that said the NFL might declare it a tie. Can't imagine that would please anyone, so maybe that's in its favor . . .

There's one group that has been completely ignored in this whole situation.  Week 17 is the Super Bowl for most fantasy leagues.  Why is no one thinking of the turmoil being caused for fantasy commissioners in this situation?

And as far as the players who wouldn't go back on the field last night, I won't be drafting any of them in the future.   Is the concern for your friend's life really worth me losing bragging rights to my brother in law?   Get those priorities straight!

(Obviously there should be no need for a sarcasm emoji here, but here's one just in case.   :wacko:   It's a horrific situation and my thoughts and prayers are with Damar, his family, teammates, and friends as well as with Tee, who did nothing wrong whatsoever, the rest of the Bengals players, and all players throughout the league who put the health and lives on the line for our entertainment.   Not only this incident but the plethora of concussions over the years make me often question whether watching these games is something I can do with a clear conscience.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Not only this incident but the plethora of concussions over the years make me often question whether watching these games is something I can do with a clear conscience.)

Incidents like this one are so rare that people really don't know how to deal with them.  We're very used to seeing knee injuries, arm injuries, concussions....but not this.  There's a whole lot of emotions and hyperbole going on in the NFL world right now.     

Yeah, sure, someone could die on the field on any given day, but the same thing can be said about everyday life.   

Sports reflect Life.  Adversity, danger, risk-taking, victory and failure.

We've come very far from the days of gladiators in the Coliseum.  We don't go to football games to see people get maimed and killed.  We shouldn't let one freak incident pull us down into self-loathing and guilt because we still want football to be played.        

• Like 4

On 1/4/2023 at 5:12 AM, Principled Man said:

Incidents like this one are so rare that people really don't know how to deal with them.  We're very used to seeing knee injuries, arm injuries, concussions....but not this.  There's a whole lot of emotions and hyperbole going on in the NFL world right now.     

Yeah, sure, someone could die on the field on any given day, but the same thing can be said about everyday life.   

Sports reflect Life.  Adversity, danger, risk-taking, victory and failure.

We've come very far from the days of gladiators in the Coliseum.  We don't go to football games to see people get maimed and killed.  We shouldn't let one freak incident pull us down into self-loathing and guilt because we still want football to be played.        

This is along the lines of how I reconcile the brutality of the game with still being willing to watch.  Players are aware of the risks they take when they play and continue to do so.   Many of them have lives unimaginably different (and better) than they could have imagined they could have had, and it would be unfair to deny them that choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

This is along the lines of how I reconcile the brutality of the game with still being willing to watch.  Players are aware of the risks they take when they play and continue to do so.   Many of them have lives unimaginably different (and better) than they could have imagined they could have had, and it would be unfair to deny them that choice.

Fans also assume risks when they attend the games.  Flying balls and bats at baseball games, especially.  Incidents of young children getting nailed in the face by a foul ball, causing more safety nets to be utilized.   Players have cried openly at the injuries that they caused.  And the games go on.....

• Like 1

nfl just announce bengals vs bills as a 'no contest' so their record will only consist of 16 games. When you look at the standings, this game really doesn't affect the playoff seatings much. Might make a difference in home field if the bills and bengals match up. But the top seed for KC is fully cooked; they're ahead by one game and play Vegas this weekend....they won't lose that. 

No disrespect to Hamlin at all, but the media on this is getting to the oversaturation stage. Time to get back to life. I'm really annoyed by the media overreaction by saying this has never happened before. Bullshit...Chuck Hughes for the Lions died on the field in 1971. And they kept playing. Hockey has had all kinds of life threatening injuries, but not hearing about those these days. Any athlete is one play away from not playing again. At the end of the day, it's one guy in the NFL where players are disposable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HemiBeers said:

nfl just announce bengals vs bills as a 'no contest' so their record will only consist of 16 games. When you look at the standings, this game really doesn't affect the playoff seatings much. Might make a difference in home field if the bills and bengals match up. But the top seed for KC is fully cooked; they're ahead by one game and play Vegas this weekend....they won't lose that. 

No disrespect to Hamlin at all, but the media on this is getting to the oversaturation stage. Time to get back to life. I'm really annoyed by the media overreaction by saying this has never happened before. Bullshit...Chuck Hughes for the Lions died on the field in 1971. And they kept playing. Hockey has had all kinds of life threatening injuries, but not hearing about those these days. Any athlete is one play away from not playing again. At the end of the day, it's one guy in the NFL where players are disposable.

We live in an age of overreaction, with the Media especially.  I normally enjoy Rich Eisen, for example, but he's been going on and on about fairness to a point of ridiculousness.  It really is a fairly simple decision to be made:  The game was discontinued and it cannot be re-scheduled in any practical way.  Call it a no contest and move on, allowing everyone to accept the relatively insignificant consequences.

Next year I hope they go just to an eight-team format and get rid of the bye.

• Like 2

Regardless of the Bills-Bengals decision, the greatest travesty of NFL playoffs 2023 is that the format awards the Bucs a spot in the playoffs.  :tongue:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, HemiBeers said:

No disrespect to Hamlin at all, but the media on this is getting to the oversaturation stage.

Here’s a Devil’s Advocate question:  With all this compassion and good will going to a player whom 99.9% of us don’t know at all……what if the guy is actually a total jerk?  What if he turns out to be involved in nasty stuff off the field?  That would cause some headaches….:unsure:

Former RB Peyton Hillis is in critical condition after heroically saving his kids from drowning in the ocean.  The kids are fine, but he’s battling lung and kidney damage.  :ohmy:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HemiBeers said:

I'm a bit late in commenting but when I saw the replay of the incident, I immediately remembered Chris Pronger taking a puck to the chest in a Stanley Cup playoff game in 1998.  He did the exact thing, took a couple of steps and collapsed.  It was the scariest thing I have ever seen.  He had to have his heart started again before they transported him to the hospital. Brett Hull was crying and everyone was really upset.  I believe they continued to play and I thought that was a bit cold.  Pronger was back playing in a couple of days.  Saw this today thought it was worth linking here

Heard that Hamlin is responding to questions and writing with a pen.  Wishing him the best.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

The Raiders, after a disappointing failure to score on 4th and goal from 3yds, make an impressive defensive stand to force the KC three and out and a 4th down punt from the end zone!

Except that on that 3rd down stop #98 pointlessly clubs Mahomes in the head from behind to draw a 15yd roughing penalty.  This of course leads to a 97yd Chiefs TD drive.  Raiders, lol

Former Browns QB Bernie Kosar should'a kept his mouth shut!  :blink:

He boasted of betting $19,000 on the Browns today, which is now legal in Ohio.

The Browns promptly terminated all of Kosar's activities that are associated with the team.  :doh:  

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned