Which is the best of these three RUSH albums?

treeduck

Which is the best album between T4E, S&A and Presto?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which album is the best of this trio?

2. 2. Do you think Vapor Trails is worse than Presto, S&A and Test For Echo?

• It's definitely worse than them all
    • It's clearly better than all three
    • It's in the middle somewhere
  3. 3. Do you think Roll the Bones is worse than the other 4 albums in this poll?

• Yes it's the worst of the lot, the true bottom feeder of the RUSH canon
    • Roll the Bones is better than all the other four without doubt
    • It's smack in the middle, all 5 of these albums are bad
    • You haven't listed Counterparts and that's the real stinker
    • Counterparts and the other 5 albums mentioned should all be lumped together and burned
    • Roll the Bones is not as good as VT but better than the other three
    • Snakes & Arrows is the best of all this group of albums, and Roll the Bones is somewhere in the middle

Pliskins and Robin Hoods

Presto is my least favorite of any production wise. I expect that sound from Michael Bolton and Peter Cetera.

Unfortunately Michael Bolton albums such as Everybody's Crazy have way better production than Presto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xbi3mWRDG8

This album of Michael’s - before his record company

no doubt made him switch to a more pop/soul/MOR direction

a few years later - is a highly under-rated

AOR/Melodic Harc Rock Classic

I think it was the cover of Sitting on the Dock of the Bay that convinced Bolton to go soft. After doing that he saw $$$ signs and totally sold out in the belief that he would become a future Motown soul legend, instead of a balding soft rocker who lost his balls.

• Like 1

Going back to the last 2 track on HYF

I actually like High Water ... at least it’s got some power chords LOL ! :-)

I like High Water just fine. As you note, while not complex it's based around a power chord groove. I also like the lyrics and vocals quite a bit. ETA: So much so, I think I'll update my sig. :) Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Counterparts and Vapor Trails are mostly good. Presto, RTB, and Snakes have a handful of good songs between them, but don't appeal to me as albums. TFE is the only one I think straight up sucks.

I'd rank em like this:

Counterparts

Vapor Trails

Presto

Snake & Arrows

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

I'm going to need to revisit these albums to properly answer. I've had worse assignments.

So JR ... ������ I was wondering after your extensive research how

do you now conclude sir ? ������

I found revisiting Test For Echo gave me the most pleasure. I hate to say this but damn I don't remember Roll the Bones being so weak, with so much filler.

Oh for sure it is. Even as a teenager I knew side 2 sucked (except GoaC). All the action is on side 1.

The better half of RTB (if it had been recorded by the Caveman) + the better half of Counterparts = a killer album.

But that did not happen...

Edited by Weatherman

I'm going to need to revisit these albums to properly answer. I've had worse assignments.

I've been immersing myself in early ELO & the band Hello. This RUSH question is next on my list.

Pre 1974 ELO is some pretty trippy stuff. The first album is like a demolition derby of classical and Black Sabbath.

The Rush question, though... S&A. RTB is decent. The albums I still have a hard time with are the '80's synth era stuff. GUP is obnoxious from the first Casio keyboard note.

I found revisiting Test For Echo gave me the most pleasure. I hate to say this but damn I don't remember Roll the Bones being so weak, with so much filler.

Yep I agree with you that T4E is better than S&A , Presto & RTB ! :-)

I picked S&A as the best because that is what I would grab to listen to right now.

RtB is easily the worst Rush album of the 1990s and probably one of their three worst. It is about half great and half junk.

The drop-off in quality between the best songs on Roll The Bones and the other half of mediocrity is pretty astounding. Of course Robert Hines wimpy production didn't help any of it. Face up could have been such a kick-ass song if it were recorded during Counterparts instead

The drop-off in quality between the best songs on Roll The Bones and the other half of mediocrity is pretty astounding. Of course Robert Hines wimpy production didn't help any of it. Face up could have been such a kick-ass song if it were recorded during Counterparts instead

It was the best of times, worst of times.

I can't think of another album in their catalog with that same disparity.

They should've switched GoaC with Face Up, then spiked the entire 2nd side.

1. Roll The Bones

2. Snakes and Arrows

3. Presto

4. Vapor Trails

1. Roll The Bones

2. Snakes and Arrows

3. Presto

4. Vapor Trails

I was wondering ..

Where would you place T4E ?

Do you rate higher it or lower than Presto

for example ?