Which is the best of these three RUSH albums?

treeduck

Which is the best album between T4E, S&A and Presto?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which album is the best of this trio?

2. 2. Do you think Vapor Trails is worse than Presto, S&A and Test For Echo?

• It's definitely worse than them all
    • It's clearly better than all three
    • It's in the middle somewhere
  3. 3. Do you think Roll the Bones is worse than the other 4 albums in this poll?

• Yes it's the worst of the lot, the true bottom feeder of the RUSH canon
    • Roll the Bones is better than all the other four without doubt
    • It's smack in the middle, all 5 of these albums are bad
    • You haven't listed Counterparts and that's the real stinker
    • Counterparts and the other 5 albums mentioned should all be lumped together and burned
    • Roll the Bones is not as good as VT but better than the other three
    • Snakes & Arrows is the best of all this group of albums, and Roll the Bones is somewhere in the middle

I've changed my mind on Test For Echo vs Snakes & Arrows, I think T4E is slightly weaker, it's a toss-up, but Presto is still the weakest RUSH album for me. Either way these three are the bottom of the RUSH barrel the way I see it. Which is the best of the bunch though? Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

1. T4E

2. Vapor Trails better than those 3

3. Roll The Bones in the middle - better than Presto & Snakes, worse than T4E and Vapor Trails.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

1. T4E

3. Roll The Bones in the middle - better than Presto & Snakes, worse than T4E and Vapor Trails.

I just put an extra option in, you won't need it though. It's Roll the Bones is not as good as VT but better than the other three.

• Like 1

1. T4E

I just put an extra option in, you won't need it though. It's Roll the Bones is not as good as VT but better than the other three.

TBH there is not much for me between T4E, Bones and Snakes - on another day I could reorder!!

Presto on the other hand has no redeeming features!!

• Like 1

1. T4E

TBH there is not much for me between T4E, Bones and Snakes - on another day I could reorder!!

Presto on the other hand has no redeeming features!!

I did a face-off before the poll, between these albums. I was surprised when Snakes narrowly defeated T4E, but I went over it again, and that's how it is right now. Then T4E narrowly defeated Presto to avoid bottom feeder championship status. I think Roll the Bones is a bit more consistent for me, less obvious bad songs and some good ones, nothing great though. The best songs of Snakes beat the best of RTB but it has too many clunkers to win overall.

I've changed my mind on Test For Echo vs Snakes & Arrows, I think T4E is slightly weaker, it's a toss-up, but Presto is still the weakest RUSH album for me. Either way these three are the bottom of the RUSH barrel the way I see it. Which is the best of the bunch though?

It worries me that I think like Treeduck.

• Like 1

I've changed my mind on Test For Echo vs Snakes & Arrows, I think T4E is slightly weaker, it's a toss-up, but Presto is still the weakest RUSH album for me. Either way these three are the bottom of the RUSH barrel the way I see it. Which is the best of the bunch though?

:joker:

• Like 1

Vapor Trails > T4E = RTB = Presto = Counterparts (ill explain) > Snakes

Vapor and Snakes are set in place, T4E, Roll The Bones, and Presto could all switch depending on the day (its tough because on my Rush album ranking, T4E RTB and Presto are all right next to each other)

I've never really been able to make up my mind about where to put Counterparts. Right now I have it below all of these albums except Snakes. That 10-14 area on my list (in order, 10. T4E 11. RTB, 12. Presto, 13. FBN, 14. Counterparts) are really all interchangeable. I hate having Counterparts so low but at the same time I dont wanna move around any of the others.

• Like 1

Vapor Trails > T4E = RTB = Presto = Counterparts (ill explain) > Snakes

Vapor and Snakes are set in place, T4E, Roll The Bones, and Presto could all switch depending on the day (its tough because on my Rush album ranking, T4E RTB and Presto are all right next to each other)

I've never really been able to make up my mind about where to put Counterparts. Right now I have it below all of these albums except Snakes. That 10-14 area on my list (in order, 10. T4E 11. RTB, 12. Presto, 13. FBN, 14. Counterparts) are really all interchangeable. I hate having Counterparts so low but at the same time I dont wanna move around any of the others.

Because of the Caveman, Counterparts is really an odd duck in their discography.

It's grown on me.

For the third question, where's the "S&A is better than the others, and Roll the Bones is still somewhere in the middle?" I voted because I had to for it to count, but mine is a throwaway vote.

SnA

Presto

Vapor Trails

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Pliskins and Robin Hoods

Presto is my least favorite of any production wise. I expect that sound from Michael Bolton and Peter Cetera. TFE has more rock to it but Virtuality is Neil Peart's writing is the fellow kids Buscemi meme in regards to internet technology's rise in the 90s.

Edited by invisible airwave

For the third question, where's the "S&A is better than the others, and Roll the Bones is still somewhere in the middle?" I voted because I had to for it to count, but mine is a throwaway vote.

SnA

Presto

Vapor Trails

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Ok done.

• Like 1

Pliskins and Robin Hoods

Presto is my least favorite of any production wise. I expect that sound from Michael Bolton and Peter Cetera.

Unfortunately Michael Bolton albums such as Everybody's Crazy have way better production than Presto.

• Like 1

Pliskins and Robin Hoods

Presto is my least favorite of any production wise. I expect that sound from Michael Bolton and Peter Cetera.

Unfortunately Michael Bolton albums such as Everybody's Crazy have way better production than Presto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xbi3mWRDG8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvW4Gy35t8o

He could probably make any kind of music suck.

He's probably gonna do gangsta rap next.

Pliskins and Robin Hoods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xbi3mWRDG8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvW4Gy35t8o

He could probably make any kind of music suck.

He's probably gonna do gangsta rap next.

Why did you bring Michael Bolton into this thread again? You think his albums sound like Presto?

I agree that all these albums are far weaker than Rush’s ‘76-‘81 Golden Period

( for me personally this peak period even lasted up to ‘85 and Power Windows )

Also IMHO ‘ Hold Your Fire ‘ was the end of this amazing run and

should be included in this particular poll of Rush’s weakest albums

along with the non-Neil debut album.

No I think Hold Your Fire is a quality album with good songs all the way through. It's just the last two tracks that mess things up a bit.

No I think Hold Your Fire is a quality album with good songs all the way through. It's just the last two tracks that mess things up a bit.

Yes I remember Treeduck that your good self along with many others on TRF highly

rate this album.

I agree with you re: quality of the songs / lyrics ...

( Time Stand Still, Turn the Page, Lock & Key etc .. )

but to my taste it’s just not Hard Rocking enough . it’s pop/rock at best IMHO.

I remember reading the Kerrang magazine interview at the time who compared

the sound to Simple Minds and I’m inclined to agree , the whole album I found

for want of a better word just way too soft.

In contrast I highly rate P/G , as even though the boys were heavily influenced by

The Police at this time ... it is still a Hard Rock album !

Going back to the last 2 track on HYF

I actually like High Water ... at least it’s got some power chords LOL ! :-)

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
  • Like 2

Pliskins and Robin Hoods

This album of Michael’s - before his record company

no doubt made him switch to a more pop/soul/MOR direction

a few years later - is a highly under-rated

AOR/Melodic Harc Rock Classic

• Like 1

Yes I remember Treeduck that your good self along with many others on TRF highly

rate this album.

I agree with you re: quality of the songs / lyrics ...

( Time Stand Still, Turn the Page, Lock & Key etc .. )

but to my taste it’s just not Hard Rocking enough . it’s pop/rock at best IMHO.

I remember reading the Kerrang magazine interview at the time who compared

the sound to Simple Minds and I’m inclined to agree , the whole album I found

for want of a better word just way too soft.

In contrast I highly rate P/G , as even though the boys were heavily influenced by

The Police at this time ... it is still a Hard Rock album !

Going back to the last 2 track on HYF

I actually like High Water ... at least it’s got some power chords LOL ! :-)

Yeah that was my opinion in the Signals and Grace Under Pressure era, I wanted the Hemispheres/2112/Moving Pictures/A Farewell to Kings RUSH back. After a while though I got over it. By the time Power Windows came out I liked it right away and didn't worry about whether there was heavy-enough riffs, banshee wails and power drumming etc. I just took it for what it was. If it's good it's good. And there was plenty of other bands out there cranking up the amps with lots of distortion.

• Like 1