We're Back

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

So I say this, not to complain but just purely informational. I'm still having trouble on Chrome navigating between pages and also logging out, that's when I get the 404

I've been getting sporadic slowdowns and a couple of 404s in the past few hours, ever since I started archiving RS. I think I'll turn that off for now, and later tonight I'll shut the board down and optimize and repair the database again. After all the content we've removed from it in the past few days it could probably use a little freshening up.

As for your Chrome troubles, I know nothing about Chrome (I've never used it) so I don't know if your problems are strictly related to that browser. Can anyone help? Will clearing cache and cookies fix some things?

So I say this, not to complain but just purely informational. I'm still having trouble on Chrome navigating between pages and also logging out, that's when I get the 404

I've been getting sporadic slowdowns and a couple of 404s in the past few hours, ever since I started archiving RS. I think I'll turn that off for now, and later tonight I'll shut the board down and optimize and repair the database again. After all the content we've removed from it in the past few days it could probably use a little freshening up.

As for your Chrome troubles, I know nothing about Chrome (I've never used it) so I don't know if your problems are strictly related to that browser. Can anyone help? Will clearing cache and cookies fix some things?

I suspect the culprit isn't the browser, but your house-keeping activities. I just tried the site in Chrome and didn't face any issues. It's probably not a bad idea to shut the board down when you're doing your house-keeping stuff.

I suspect the culprit isn't the browser, but your house-keeping activities. I just tried the site in Chrome and didn't face any issues. It's probably not a bad idea to shut the board down when you're doing your house-keeping stuff.

I always shut the board down when doing database repair stuff, which is why I wait till the overnight to do it. You can't have people poking around in forums when repairing the posts table as it will screw the whole process up. I ran into a lot of that in those couple of days when we were shut down. Turns out the ad bots were still able to browse threads even though I had the board turned off, and I kept having to restart the repair process. It's like having a mouse problem in your house -- you take measures to keep them out but they keep finding ways to get in. Good news is I've made it so the main culprits can't see past the main page. Permanently.

The archiving was going well, running in the background while the board was open, that is until starting on RS this morning. I noticed that the process was a lot slower than with the previous forums -- a lot less threads per hour were being archived. Perhaps the post table could use a little love after removing 5600 threads in a short amount of time.

Seems to be doing that 404 thing again... :scared:

Yes. Seems when we've reach around 5,000 threads archived we start seeing the 404s again. It's a lot of data transfer in a short amount of time for the main database, and I don't think it likes that very much. The current archive task should be done by tonight, then I'll do the database repair again. This will be an ongoing cycle for another month, I'm thinking.

• Like 2

Yeah I am still getting 404 every couple of clicks, clearing the cache in Firefox didn't help either. Also it is weird when I pull up the site to login, it goes to an open page not the front page. Guess it's going to take some time to fix.

Yeah I am still getting 404 every couple of clicks, clearing the cache in Firefox didn't help either. Also it is weird when I pull up the site to login, it goes to an open page not the front page. Guess it's going to take some time to fix.

What do you mean by an open page?

Getting an occasional 404. Rebooting my router brought some relief, but I'm thinking no further improvement until everything gets cleared up. Kudos for all the hard work so far.

Getting an occasional 404. Rebooting my router brought some relief, but I'm thinking no further improvement until everything gets cleared up. Kudos for all the hard work so far.

I'll be doing more maintenance during the overnight, then back to archiving. Rinse and repeat for a little while.

Instead of showing the front page, it goes to a thread in Random Samples. I click on the main page and then log in. It's been doing that since the beginning of March. I tried clearing cookies and my cache. I edited my bookmark for the site but it still goes to that page instead of the front one.

Instead of showing the front page, it goes to a thread in Random Samples. I click on the main page and then log in. It's been doing that since the beginning of March. I tried clearing cookies and my cache. I edited my bookmark for the site but it still goes to that page instead of the front one.

Just for a goof, click each of these links, and let me know where they take you. This isn't a trick or anything. ;)

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

Just for a goof, click each of these links, and let me know where they take you. This isn't a trick or anything. ;)

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

ackbar-dfdfea93d8ed875f978acf5fcbf63b65c0cf7033-s1100-c50.jpg

• Like 2

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

Ok I'll chance it...first one takes me to the front page, second one says unable to connect and third goes to Random Samples

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

Ok I'll chance it...first one takes me to the front page, second one says unable to connect and third goes to Random Samples

Congrats, your computer is now infected! :ebert:

Ok seriously, those links all worked exactly the way they should, which suggests there might be something wrong with your bookmark. If you delete your current one, then use that first link and then bookmark it, you should be good to go.

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

Congrats, your computer is now infected! :ebert:

Ok seriously, those links all worked exactly the way they should, which suggests there might be something wrong with your bookmark. If you delete your current one, then use that first link and then bookmark it, you should be good to go.

I will try it, had already tried once before...it worked. I think it was my frequently used links that was hanging it up. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

@73, unsure if it's been called out already, but trying to navigate to search results consistently bombs for me. Search itself works, clicking any result causes it to spin before eventually hitting the nginx 404 page.

@73, unsure if it's been called out already, but trying to navigate to search results consistently bombs for me. Search itself works, clicking any result causes it to spin before eventually hitting the nginx 404 page.

Yes, and I'm hoping once we've archived enough of the older threads that the search and New Content functions will stop timing out.

• Like 2

Still having issues, especially today. 404s, etc.

There was a very big thread being archived today, it was stuck in archive mode because I was changing archive settings before it was finished, and it causing some slowdowns. Slowly but surely I'm nailing down a procedure that gets these threads archived without messing us up too much.

• Like 2

Some more 404s in the past couple of hours. With all the archiving and pruning we've been doing in the past week, looks like the database could use another mani-pedi. We'll be closing for maintenance around midnight EDT, about an hour and ten from now.

Some more 404s in the past couple of hours. With all the archiving and pruning we've been doing in the past week, looks like the database could use another mani-pedi. We'll be closing for maintenance around midnight EDT, about an hour and ten from now.

When's the estimated time to be back up?

When's the estimated time to be back up?

2-3 hours, hopefully closer to two. This will happen about once a week until we can get enough threads archived.

• Like 1