Which studio album has the worst album art that RUSH has ever delivered?

treeduck

Which studio album has the worst album art that RUSH ever delivered?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which studio album has the worst album art that RUSH ever delivered?

• RUSH
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

For me it's Presto. I don't mind the rabbits but the picture itself just looks like a random photo that an agency provided and gives off a feeling to me of a "oh that'll do" kind of vibe.

Some people might point to Hold Your Fire with the all-red colour and three red balls, but that seems calculated to me, a Neil idea. The rest of the Presto album art is good, the inner sleeve with the lyrics etc, but it seems like they just used the random front picture and expanded off it, rather than creating a cool rabbit picture that seems more unique to the album.

• Like 1

For me it's Presto. I don't mind the rabbits but the picture itself just looks like a random photo that an agency provided and gives off a feeling to me of a "oh that'll do" kind of vibe.

Some people might point to Hold Your Fire with the all-red colour and three red balls, but that seems calculated to me, a Neil idea. The rest of the Presto album art is good, the inner sleeve with the lyrics etc, but it seems like they just used the random front picture and expanded off it, rather than creating a cool rabbit picture that seems more unique to the album.

A dull gray cover is exactly what that album deserved.

• Like 1

Snakes. I like the colors, the the imagery is poorly framed and it doesn't feel like it aught to be an album cover. Wasn't it the only one they'd done since FBN that Hugh Syme didn't do the front cover?

Snakes. I like the colors, the the imagery is poorly framed and it doesn't feel like it aught to be an album cover. Wasn't it the only one they'd done since FBN that Hugh Syme didn't do the front cover?

Guess what I can hear in my mind now? The opening chords to Fly By Night!

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

• Like 2

Hold your boring red album cover.

Unless you're self titled like Metallica, Beatles ,Weezer, 311 and Garbage a one color design doesn't work.

What about the inside cover though?

• Like 1

I always thought Hold Your Fire was really simple and boring. Just lots of red and three dots. It looked easy, I could have created it?

But after Neil passed away and there were internet memes and pics of only two dots...it looked surprisingly sophisticated and true.

Suddenly the most simply artwork was transformed into a reality we never thought was possible?

• Like 4

Presto is the easiest answer for worst album cover and worst album (caveat - I do not consider the debut as a true Rush album, it's basically a Led Company album), followed closely by Caress of Steel.

Snakes is an excellent album cover IMO, as is HYF. Snakes at least has some liner notes and blurbs from Neil on the backstory, and HYF is good when you pair it with the inside art.

Unless you're self titled like Metallica, Beatles ,Weezer, 311 and Garbage a one color design doesn't work.

Describes the dead hole that was the mid 80's. Nothing to even think about here.

• Like 2

Presto is the easiest answer for worst album cover and worst album (caveat - I do not consider the debut as a true Rush album, it's basically a Led Company album), followed closely by Caress of Steel.

Snakes is an excellent album cover IMO, as is HYF. Snakes at least has some liner notes and blurbs from Neil on the backstory, and HYF is good when you pair it with the inside art.

Do you think Rush should have dropped Working Man from any future setlist after 1975, since it's not a Rush song but a "Led Company" song? As well as In the Mood and Finding My Way?

I'm personally a big fan of PoW, T4E, and AFTK for album art.

Power Windows is fantastic. Very underrated piece of art from Mr. Syme.

• Like 4

Do you think Rush should have dropped Working Man from any future setlist after 1975, since it's not a Rush song but a "Led Company" song? As well as In the Mood and Finding My Way?

I may be in the minority but I never liked In The Mood.

Finding My Way and Working Man are good rock songs but I don't associate Rush as an entity with them. They felt more like covers when Rush played them live. A big part of what makes a rock band good is the feel of the drummer, and Neil, as great as he was, served the debut's songs well but something was _off_. Almost like asking Gavin Harrison to play a Beatles song, or Dave Weckl to play an AC/DC song. I get the same feeling with any pre-Beast Maiden songs with Nicko, another excellent drummer.

Lifeson was close, but Geddy still sounded like he was still searching for his bass identity, too.

For your initial question, nah they're great live songs and they played them well. They just felt like covers to me. I might be in the minority there.

Finding My Way and Working Man are good rock songs but I don't associate Rush as an entity with them. They felt more like covers when Rush played them live. A big part of what makes a rock band good is the feel of the drummer, and Neil, as great as he was, served the debut's songs well but something was _off_. Almost like asking Gavin Harrison to play a Beatles song, or Dave Weckl to play an AC/DC song. I get the same feeling with any pre-Beast Maiden songs with Nicko, another excellent drummer.

Lifeson was close, but Geddy still sounded like he was still searching for his bass identity, too.

For your initial question, nah they're great live songs and they played them well. They just felt like covers to me. I might be in the minority there.

So you're calling RUSH a covers band now? Nothing but a covers band. So now you're the covers band guy, from now on.

:musicnote: I will call you Analog Covers, the god of balance you definitely won't be :musicnote:

• Like 1

Should have been the cover.
  • Like 3

So you're calling RUSH a covers band now? Nothing but a covers band. So now you're the covers band guy, from now on.

:musicnote: I will call you Analog Covers, the god of balance you definitely won't be :musicnote:

I'm calling the debut album a garage band album by a bunch of covering nobodies!

• Like 1

Should have been the cover.

True.

I'm calling the debut album a garage band album by a bunch of covering nobodies!

You've just got it in for Rutsey! You're a Rutsey-hater!

• Like 1

His makeup was ugly.

Serious answer: the music wasn't bad with Rutsey. Just not my brand, and not what I identify Rush with

His makeup was ugly.

Serious answer: the music wasn't bad with Rutsey. Just not my brand, and not what I identify Rush with

Maybe you should write to Geddy and Alex and tell them to get it formerly removed from the RUSH catalogue? Have it expunged from our memories using gamma rays? I mean what else can you do? Burn some copies? Break into amazon's warehouse and nuke the lot of them? Get over to Anthem records and destroy the master tapes? Kill kill kill? Do a Putin on RUSH's ass!??

:bang bang: :rush:

Rush artwork almost always great and always interesting, some of it could hang in any art gallery but, the actual cover of clockwork angels is dull in my eyes
  • Like 1

His makeup was ugly.

Maybe you should write to Geddy and Alex and tell them to get it formerly removed from the RUSH catalogue? Have it expunged from our memories using gamma rays? I mean what else can you do? Burn some copies? Break into amazon's warehouse and nuke the lot of them? Get over to Anthem records and destroy the master tapes? Kill kill kill? Do a Putin on RUSH's ass!??

:bang bang: :rush:

:laughing yellow guy:

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1