I don’t think it’s politics to say I have been pretty scared of Vladimir Putin since Thursday.

Entre_Perpetuo

I fear that Ukraine will ultimately still be annexed…..

If that does happen, Putin will have annexed a wasteland.

• Like 1

For those of you who don’t know this, I recently moved to Washington DC to begin a job with my dream architectural firm. Everything so far has been great, but I’ve been getting really scared the past couple days. The war is in Ukraine, but the US has been very involved sending weapons and levying sanctions, and Vladimir Putin has now, multiple times, seemed to threaten nuclear war. I can’t imagine that would be anything short of doomsday for the human race, but even if he were to only fire one rocket, I worry it would likely be directed towards the capitol of the only other nation with nearly as many nukes as Russia… and I live .7 miles from The White House.

I’ve been talking to friends and my family about the risk of it all, and what kind of evacuation plan might be wise to make. It makes me feel a little safer, but I still feel unprepared, and pretty scared. TRF, what would you do? What do you think? I don’t mean to break the rules posting politics outside of SOCN, but to me this isn’t a political issue any longer, it’s existential.

they are practically empty threats, it's psychological warfare. nuclear war with the united states would be suicide, so we will not be nuked and everything is going to be okay. :)

• Like 1

^ to add to this, as a pre-teen and a teen i wasted a lot of time being afraid of the nuke threats coming from kim jong-un. he made a lot of those and did test firings as well. obviously, nothing ever came of it.

and, what a surprise, his predecessor is still up to the same business. maybe something will come of it, but probably not. just live your life and don't sweat it, and stay away from other hysterical people because they will not help you with your anxiety about all of this

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-s-kim-threatens-build-more-nukes-bring-u-n1253625

• Like 2

Say what you will about CNN who is more moderate than it's bashers say, at least Cooper and Ward give a damn with Ward daring to lift more than a finger. Hell, Jennifer Griffin of Fox News is tuned to reality compared to Tucker. Nice to see a sane broken clock republican instead of these Putin RINOs.

Oh, and shame on a certain Florida politician for posting a photo of the Ukranian president in a zoom meeting jeopardizing his life in the process after being warned not to. Such a LITTLE twerp.

Edited by invisible airwave

Civil War in Ethiopia, coup in Guinea, terror attacks in Somalia, Mozambique, Nigeria. Uganda.

Crickets.

Same as it ever was sadly. White refugees getting help while the POC get held at the border (Ukraine). Europe freaked out over the influx of Syrians in 2015. Now we have the largest refugee migration since WWII and the doors are open. Guess when it is in Europe's back yard that changes things. This whole situation is awful :(

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

I can't quote posts as I'm on a tablet so to IlSnowdog, no, they didn't fly that much during Iraq. Of course, they have several different areas of airspace where they practice so they may have been flying further away from me than they were the other day.

To Jarg: I love, love, love your nuke comment and will be sharing it far and wide. Thank you.

• Like 1

I can't quote posts as I'm on a tablet so to IlSnowdog, no, they didn't fly that much during Iraq. Of course, they have several different areas of airspace where they practice so they may have been flying further away from me than they were the other day.

To Jarg: I love, love, love your nuke comment and will be sharing it far and wide. Thank you.

Are you using the mobile skin on your tablet? The Quote button isn't visible at first, but if you tap on a blank area of the post you want to quote, you'll see that button appear at the bottom. And if it's your own post, tapping it also reveals the Edit button.

Or, you could just use a normal skin on a tablet (phones are kinda small to use with the regular skins).

• Like 2

Are you using the mobile skin on your tablet? The Quote button isn't visible at first, but if you tap on a blank area of the post you want to quote, you'll see that button appear at the bottom. And if it's your own post, tapping it also reveals the Edit button.

Or, you could just use a normal skin on a tablet (phones are kinda small to use with the regular skins).

Cool! That works a treat! Thanks, me Bruddah! :D

• Like 1

True heroism: This woman has almost certainly sacrificed her life in the fight against tyranny and war crimes.

Marina Ovsyannikova, an editor and producer for Russia's flagship news station, Channel One, burst onto the set of its evening news program Monday, chanting “Stop the war” and denouncing government “propaganda” - a striking moment of public protest as the Kremlin cracks down on any criticism of its invasion in Ukraine.

OVD-Info, a human rights group that tracks protest activity and detentions in Russia, has said that Ovsyannikova has been detained.

Before storming the set of Channel One, Ovsyannikova recorded a video message in which she said, “What is going on in Ukraine a crime.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5SOdx8JCzg

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 4

True heroism: This woman has almost certainly sacrificed her life in the fight against tyranny and war crimes.

Marina Ovsyannikova, an editor and producer for Russia's flagship news station, Channel One, burst onto the set of its evening news program Monday, chanting “Stop the war” and denouncing government “propaganda” - a striking moment of public protest as the Kremlin cracks down on any criticism of its invasion in Ukraine.

OVD-Info, a human rights group that tracks protest activity and detentions in Russia, has said that Ovsyannikova has been detained.

Before storming the set of Channel One, Ovsyannikova recorded a video message in which she said, “What is going on in Ukraine a crime.”

I saw this while watching BBC News. She knew the risk. This was a ballsy move, her sacrifice is admirable. I can't imagine she won't be convicted. I hope she survives long enough in jail for a regime change.

• Like 1

I saw this while watching BBC News. She knew the risk. This was a ballsy move, her sacrifice is admirable. I can't imagine she won't be convicted. I hope she survives long enough in jail for a regime change.

Assuming that a trial happens, it will be speedy, and the verdict is assured.

It seems that hysteria is the default mode of modern discourse. Good for ratings, I suppose. Bad for problem solving and progress, though.

Carry on.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Her lawyer has said he hasn't been able to find her being held anywhere. :(

Her lawyer has said he hasn't been able to find her being held anywhere. :(

Saw her on Sky News tonight coming out of courthouse with her attorney. Where she goes from there remains to be seen. :eh:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I am now more scared. I’m reading a stray missile killed two people in Poland. Poland is in NATO…

:wave:   Yeah, that stray was very weird. Can only imagine it was some kind of a misfire, hopefully. I can't imagine even an aggressor like Putin is eager to take on NATO and the entire free world, especially with how reduced their forces are after fighting in Ukraine.

7 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I am now more scared. I’m reading a stray missile killed two people in Poland. Poland is in NATO…

Sounds to me like a misfire and nothing intentional. But if this is what it takes to finally get rid of Putin then so be it. We're already seven months late in doing that anyways.

Edited by J2112YYZ

It was something like this that was said to have sparked WWI. A tangled web of alliances whose members overreacted to the assignation of one nation’s noble. Accident or not, now the world’s leaders bear the burden of parsing out truth from lies and measuring responses accordingly. Where an overreaction could certainly spiral out of control, a conflict that would make WWI and WWII seem like footnotes in our history. Even an even keeled and measured response may be viewed as provocation and overreacted to.  I struggle to believe victory is a possibility, for anyone.

On 11/15/2022 at 2:48 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Ukrainian S-300 surface to air missile attempting to intercept an incoming Russian cruise missile. Chances are we won't be hearing about it anymore within a week.

Yes, every aspect of the war is concerning, but as a recovering "doomscroller" I've learned that it's best not to freak out when news like that initially surfaces. Try to stay calm and wait for more facts. The worst thing you can do is jump to conclusions and imagine the worst case scenario. If you're anxious about something you'll engage in emotional reasoning, convincing yourself something terrible will happen. Thoughts are not facts!

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HomesickAlien said:

Ukrainian S-300 surface to air missile attempting to intercept an incoming Russian cruise missile. Chances are we won't be hearing about it anymore within a week.

Yes, every aspect of the war is concerning, but as a recovering "doomscroller" I've learned that it's best not to freak out when news like that initially surfaces. Try to stay calm and wait for more facts. The worst thing you can do is jump to conclusions and imagine the worst case scenario. If you're anxious about something you'll engage in emotional reasoning, convincing yourself something terrible will happen. Thoughts are not facts!

Denier.

:tongue:

• Haha 1