I don’t think it’s politics to say I have been pretty scared of Vladimir Putin since Thursday.

Entre_Perpetuo

For those of you who don’t know this, I recently moved to Washington DC to begin a job with my dream architectural firm. Everything so far has been great, but I’ve been getting really scared the past couple days. The war is in Ukraine, but the US has been very involved sending weapons and levying sanctions, and Vladimir Putin has now, multiple times, seemed to threaten nuclear war. I can’t imagine that would be anything short of doomsday for the human race, but even if he were to only fire one rocket, I worry it would likely be directed towards the capitol of the only other nation with nearly as many nukes as Russia… and I live .7 miles from The White House.

I’ve been talking to friends and my family about the risk of it all, and what kind of evacuation plan might be wise to make. It makes me feel a little safer, but I still feel unprepared, and pretty scared. TRF, what would you do? What do you think? I don’t mean to break the rules posting politics outside of SOCN, but to me this isn’t a political issue any longer, it’s existential.

• Like 6

I don`t know how Putin`s thinking, but mutually assured destruction`s still a thing, right? I mean, if it`s existential threat for one, then I suspect it might just be for all. Which takes a lot of the worry off the table, for me anyway. Unless I`m Omega Man. I`m ill-equipped for that existence.

I don`t mean to sound flippant, but it does help to have a slightly absurdist take on these issues, and life in general. I`d still take more care crossing the road, plugging in electrical items, shaving with a cutthroat etc., than I would spend time worrying about a nuclear hit.

• Like 3

My opinion is that he's bluffing, and that he stupidly used the "nuclear threat" during this crisis. He's suffering serious consequences for his actions. He may not have expected such resistance.

If Putin has truly gone mad, then that is a concern. We will have to trust his senior officers to have cooler heads.

• Like 5

Where are you in DC? You live in the city, or somewhere in Maryland or Virginia? I'm in Loudoun County, VA.

In DC proper. I'm a 10 minute walk from my office in downtown DC.

• Like 1

What a shit show. IJ and Mick hit the nail on the head with their posts. Acknowledge and accept the way things are, yet continue to do the best you can in improving the things you have direct influence over. And listen to Steely Dan while doing so.
  • Like 3

I think EP has some very valid conserns given where he lives. But I would imagine DC probably has the best defenses around to prevent any severe damage from happening. I would be shocked if DC wasn't well prepared to defend itself against threats like this. I'm 43 years old and have pretty much lived my whole life with the Russia might start a nuclear war thing always hanging around. Personally, I think they're a bunch of shit talking bullies who don't actually have the balls to attack us. Because why wouldn't they have done it already? But they have no problem invading a country that can't really defend itself. They don't want to take the ass whooping that the US would give it. Russia is the boy who cried wolf. They're will always talk shit about starting something with us but they'll never actually do it. I think you're safe EP.
  • Like 5

I'd say the same for COVID. Karens made it political because scientist wouldn't kiss ring of orange Manson and made up their minds that if dear leader say VaCcInE aNd MaSk BaD then it's objectively so even though it goes against them being so called "pro life." Right and wrong when it comes to life or death shouldn't be political yet these crybabies have made Idiocracy a documentary.

Especially when they doubt what's in the vaccine but eat junk food and big brands that are Monsanto approved.

Edited by invisible airwave

For those of you who don’t know this, I recently moved to Washington DC to begin a job with my dream architectural firm. Everything so far has been great, but I’ve been getting really scared the past couple days. The war is in Ukraine, but the US has been very involved sending weapons and levying sanctions, and Vladimir Putin has now, multiple times, seemed to threaten nuclear war. I can’t imagine that would be anything short of doomsday for the human race, but even if he were to only fire one rocket, I worry it would likely be directed towards the capitol of the only other nation with nearly as many nukes as Russia… and I live .7 miles from The White House.

I’ve been talking to friends and my family about the risk of it all, and what kind of evacuation plan might be wise to make. It makes me feel a little safer, but I still feel unprepared, and pretty scared. TRF, what would you do? What do you think? I don’t mean to break the rules posting politics outside of SOCN, but to me this isn’t a political issue any longer, it’s existential.

5 of my family live and work there- 2 live in Loudon County (Maverick beware. :P ) and 3 downtown (1 right downtown, and 2 in Cathedral Heights near American U. ). I would consider it one of the places that is safer from nuclear attack, just because, as J2112 said- If the US is going to have anywhere on double secret protection, it's going to be the White House and Capitol. My son in law grew up right in DC and while he has a lot of stories about the odd glider trying to land on the White House lawn, etc etc, ( it was all pretty innocent until Jan 6th stuff) he did not feel like he was growing up with a threat of that kind. But I get it, I grew up in Pittsburgh and we were always told it was a "first strike city" because of all (at the time) the steel mills located there. It's a creepy feeling, but hopefully based on not too much. We should all be worried about a somewhat unhinged world leader threatening with nuclear weapons but I think he is just bluffing. It really is what they used to call MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) if nukes are unleashed.

We are about 1 hr 45 minutes north of you, so that can be your plan! ;) ;) If you need to evacuate, you can come here with the other 5 that will be leaving! We'll have a Rush party! :d13: (Putin should think twice about coming here- the 2 biggest news stories last week were a large fire in Walmart where everyone stood around it with their phones and no one left; and 3 cows getting on to the interstate, causing a major shutdown. Despite having a college and law school here, many days all the crayons are not in the box around here. :) )

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

First, I wouldn't throw a flag on the play for politics. You don't mention either political party, any single US politician or place blame on anyone other than Putin, who ya know invaded a neighbor.

Second, I'm 99.8% sure it's all bluster.

Third, since 99.8% isn't good enough for COVID-19. Yeah, maybe you have a target on your back. We here in New Seoul, NJ right across from Manhattan have one too. My attitude is "meh". Maybe because I'm 55-ish and had all the great sex, seen all the great bands, traveled the world. If it's my time, it's my time. I mean how much vacation time do you want to spend in a cave in Colorado or a beach in Mexico? There might other signs forecasting something, so I wouldn't worry now.

Smoke a fat ass jay, bourbon and Netflix. You'll relax.

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 2

Where are you in DC? You live in the city, or somewhere in Maryland or Virginia? I'm in Loudoun County, VA.

In DC proper. I'm a 10 minute walk from my office in downtown DC.

I'd be more worried about being hit in the head with a brick, being robbed and bleeding out on the sidewalk than Vlad's H-Bombs.

• Like 2

First, I wouldn't throw a flag on the play for politics. You don't mention either political party, any single US politician or place blame on anyone other Putin, who ya know invaded a neighbor.

Second, I'm 99.8% sure it's all bluster.

Using nukes is a military tactic. Talking about using nukes is a diplomatic tactic.

• Like 5

I live about 15 minutes from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

Consider this my goodbye to you all…

:laughing yellow guy:

(I’m totally teasing…I am not at all worried about the end of days).

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

Don't forget to have your mask handy in the case of a nuclear explosion.

The masks will work very well against the radiation-mutated germs, which will be approximately 1/4 inch in diameter. :eh:

• Like 3

Hey Entre...

I wouldn't be too worried, my little brother.

Of course, the reality is that "it could happen"...see 9-11, et al.

The other reality is that if attacked it would be towards oil / gas production lines, military installations, etc.

I'd be more concerned about the bridges and tunnels in and around NYC.

We live just outside of New York City.

After 911, one day these blue and white signs, "Evacuation Route" started to appear on highways and main routes (Route 10, Route 46, Bloomfield Avenue staring at Newark, NJ) heading westbound.

It was a little disconcerting to say the least.

I know you to be a person of faith and it is in times like these when it needs to kick in the most.

Pray for peace, don't be held hostage by fear...don't live your life in the shadow of the "what if?".

Life is a fragile undertaking, to say the least.

Tomorrow isn't promised, so we need to live our best life today.

If we are granted the gift of another day, then we need to repeat and live our best life tomorrow.

Repeat, as necessary, until we are old and grey.

:hug2:

• Like 6

Tomorrow isn't promised, so we need to live our best life today.

If we are granted the gift of another day, then we need to repeat and live our best life tomorrow.

Repeat, as necessary, until we are old and grey.

:hug2:

It really is that simple. :angel:
  • Like 3

I live near a very big air base and I've been hearing the jets flying training patterns since day before yesterday, about 3-4 times a day and that is unprecedented in my 38 years of living here. As far as the nuclear talk goes, my best estimate for that scenario is, at best, 50-50. My best advice is: trust your instincts. If it makes you feel better to go and buy a pallet of toilet paper and water, then go do it. Anything to give you peace of mind and help you think more clearly. Call loved ones,play with your kids and pets, take your wife out for dinner & dancing, go for a walk in a nice park, and always pray.
  • Like 3

I live near a very big air base and I've been hearing the jets flying training patterns since day before yesterday, about 3-4 times a day and that is unprecedented in my 38 years of living here. As far as the nuclear talk goes, my best estimate for that scenario is, at best, 50-50. My best advice is: trust your instincts. If it makes you feel better to go and buy a pallet of toilet paper and water, then go do it. Anything to give you peace of mind and help you think more clearly. Call loved ones,play with your kids and pets, take your wife out for dinner & dancing, go for a walk in a nice park, and always pray.

They didn’t fly that much during the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait?