Marillion

Rod in Toronto

How come there's no official Marillion thread? And why were they so hated by Rush audiences in the 80's? I prefer the Fish era, but the Hogarth output does have a few gems. Their new album comes out in a few days, and here's one of the singles from it, which they already debuted live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcDFIKncAMA

• Like 1

I don`t know why the Fish era is not beloved by more. It may well have ended 35 years ago, but they made some excellent music. I guess opening for Rush could be a considered a poisoned chalice but their studio records should be given a chance (although the first Marillion album I owned was the live record, The Thieving Magpie, when I was 12 or 13, so I tend to think of those versions first - Slainte Mhath, Freaks and Incommunicado as real standout songs from that).

I tried to watch Marillion w/Hogarth however, a concert from the Royal Albert Hall a few weeks ago, but I didn`t make it very far. :no:

• Like 1

I don`t know why the Fish era is not beloved by more. It may well have ended 35 years ago, but they made some excellent music. I guess opening for Rush could be a considered a poisoned chalice but their studio records should be given a chance (although the first Marillion album I owned was the live record, The Thieving Magpie, when I was 12 or 13, so I tend to think of those versions first - Slainte Mhath, Freaks and Incommunicado as real standout songs from that).

I tried to watch Marillion w/Hogarth however, a concert from the Royal Albert Hall a few weeks ago, but I didn`t make it very far. :no:

I know the Hogarth output can sometimes be perceived as...lacking in testosterone, for lack of a better term. But repeated listens will yield amazing results.

I'm surprised there isn't a thread; I know I've made numerous Marillion comments over the years here...

Love the Fish era. Do not like the Hogarth era at all. I made an honest effort; It didn't take.

I actually went to see Marillion just a couple years back - got to meet Ian Mosely outside the venue, and was happy to discuss some of the drum parts from Misplaced Childhood and Clutching. Nice guy. Unfortunately, I was bored to death at the show. I really can't find much at all that I like about their current direction, which always amazed me - considering how much I loved their first 4 albums (and the great live album - La Gazza Ladra!!) Other than the huge change with Fish's departure and the new singer, I feel that musically they made a big effort to distance themselves from their early prog influences. One criticism I've read of the early (probably on Prog Archives) is that they were so derivative of Genesis (and maybe a couple other classic prog bands.) While it may be true that they wore their influences on their sleeves, it was that sort of adventurous writing, playing, and the brilliance of Fish's lyrics and concept that made the magic. From day one with Hogarth, I just felt the magic was gone. The music writing, arrangement, and playing was all fairly bland and often predictable. All great musicians, I just didn't dig their direction and they never caught my interest again.

• Like 2

There have been threads. Love all of it. A friend brought the new album by today for a few listens (Mine has shipped but hsn't arrived yet.) Not blown away by it but I can tell it's going to be a grower with repeated listens. Rothery (as usual) has some damn fine moments though.

I have one of their albums: Misplaced Childhood. It's good enough for me to really enjoy it but I always come away feeling like I stopped paying attention by accident somewhere in the middle. Is there something else I should check out by them?

I have one of their albums: Misplaced Childhood. It's good enough for me to really enjoy it but I always come away feeling like I stopped paying attention by accident somewhere in the middle. Is there something else I should check out by them?

Clutching at Straws.

• Like 5

Clutching at Straws.

This like a billion times

Mick

• Like 3

Clutching at Straws.

This like a billion times

Mick

Okay!

• Like 3

Here's my interview with Steve Rothery:

If you can leave us a comment, like the video and subscribe to our channel, that would be great. These are ways you can help us by spending zero dollars.

• Like 2

I was listening to FEAR in my car about a month ago. I think it's pretty good but not quite on the level of their very best. I saw them live maybe half a dozen years ago or so and they were good. I've been a fan for a long time but there's a lot of gaps in my collection. Clutching at straws is one of my all time favorite albums even though I probably prefer the H (Hogarth) era overall.

I've heard mixed things about the new one so far but most of the reviews at this point seem to be very positive.

My copy of the new album should be arriving any day now. Too bad a US tour is not happening.Maybe in 2023.

Finally arrived today. Great package. Sounding great. So far seems to be a fusion of "Sounds" and "FEAR" with some new elements.

I bought the 1st album with Hogarth when it came out not knowing that Fish was gone. I don't think I got through side one. Still listen to Childhood and Clutching quite often. I have a bootleg of their opening set from the Power Windows tour in Springfield in 86. I just remember Fish was very tall and the bass player was very short.

Polish Marillion weekend is going on now...

How can anyone polish a band?

If they're a rock band, I'd say just stick 'em in a tumbler!