The Final Judgement...Until the End of Time - Fly By Night vs Caress of Steel

treeduck

Fly By Night vs Caress of Steel - Once and For All and Until the End of Time  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you like the most?

This is it. After this it's all over. No more will there be any doubt. This thread will explain the true differences between Fly By Night and Caress of Steel. Is it miles or is it inches? I know a song about this. Would you like to hear it?

do do do do do do do and, one, two, three...

They are secrets to each other

Each album like a novel that only RUSHIACS have ever read

Even joined in bonds of metal brotherhood

They are linked to one another by worn out denim threads

They are planets to each other

Fly By Night is Neptune and Cos is Uranus

Each album worlds apart

Light years between them and no rocket ship

Just between these discs

I think it's time for us to advertise

The differences that RUSH freaks already know

Just between them

I think it's time for us to surmise

The daylight in between

Leave room for COS fans or fans of Fly to crow

They are strangers to each other

Full of metal goodness, a total heavy riff show

Revealing well-constructed themes

but they're playing from the heart unlike ELO

Just between them

I think it's time for us to revise

The differences between Cos and FBN

Just between us

I think it's time for TRF to Baptize

Fly by Night or Caress of Steel

Leave room for 2112 to blow

They are islands to each other

Building prog rock bridges on troubled mainstream seas

Will one be burned and thrown away?

Some fools will not choose, but will probably post anyway

Just between us

I think it's time for us to analyse

The differences between FBN and COS you know

Just between us

I think it's time for one to be aggrandized and one to be bastardized

finally leave no doubt between them

Leave room for one of these to glow and the other to eat the yellow snow

• Like 1

Oh Caress Of Steel easily. First of all it's the first Rush album that really has a warm, Rushy, Terry Brown sound to it. Not that Rush and FBN sound bad at all, but they sound like a young band with an equally young producer pushing themselves to get the result they want and falling a bit short. I think a lot of it is to do with Alex's guitar, which magically gains some new tones and textures it didn't have before. On top of that, every song is great. Even I Think I'm Going Bald, which is just plain fun. Lakeside Park is of course one of those massively underrated Rush deep cuts, and the other three are cult classics for a reason (or in the case of Bastille Day, just a plain classic). FoL and The Necromancer are noticeably disjointed in places, but aside from the transitions (and a couple of boring moments in the middle of FoL), they're perfectly lovable and enjoyable journeys into Tolkienian and Homerian myth!
  • Like 1

Oh Caress Of Steel easily. First of all it's the first Rush album that really has a warm, Rushy, Terry Brown sound to it. Not that Rush and FBN sound bad at all, but they sound like a young band with an equally young producer pushing themselves to get the result they want and falling a bit short. I think a lot of it is to do with Alex's guitar, which magically gains some new tones and textures it didn't have before. On top of that, every song is great. Even I Think I'm Going Bald, which is just plain fun. Lakeside Park is of course one of those massively underrated Rush deep cuts, and the other three are cult classics for a reason (or in the case of Bastille Day, just a plain classic). FoL and The Necromancer are noticeably disjointed in places, but aside from the transitions (and a couple of boring moments in the middle of FoL), they're perfectly lovable and enjoyable journeys into Tolkienian and Homerian myth!

What about By-Tor then??

• Like 1

What about By-Tor then??

A great song. Flows a bit better than Necromancer or FoL, though it totally disregards having an intro, and the loud low distorted noises during the battle section could’ve been better executed. I still pick CoS overall though.

• Like 1

What about By-Tor then??

A great song. Flows a bit better than Necromancer or FoL, though it totally disregards having an intro, and the loud low distorted noises during the battle section could’ve been better executed. I still pick CoS overall though.

And the title track and In the End and Anthem and Beneath, Between & Behind? What about them??

• Like 1

What about By-Tor then??

And the title track and In the End and Anthem and Beneath, Between & Behind? What about them??

FBN is a great great song held back slightly by Alex’s unusually clean tone. A little distortion and it’ll be perfect! Anthem is killer but is so much more killer live that the studio version just comes up lacking, especially compared to Bastille Day. BBB is my favorite on the album. Fantastic tight Rush banger. In The End just doesn’t gel in the studio cut. It feels mechanical, and lacks power and groove. Live off of ATWAS it can go toe to toe with anything else from the period, but the studio cut really leaves me wanting.

• Like 2

What about By-Tor then??

FBN is a great great song held back slightly by Alex’s unusually clean tone. A little distortion and it’ll be perfect! Anthem is killer but is so much more killer live that the studio version just comes up lacking, especially compared to Bastille Day. BBB is my favorite on the album. Fantastic tight Rush banger. In The End just doesn’t gel in the studio cut. It feels mechanical, and lacks power and groove. Live off of ATWAS it can go toe to toe with anything else from the period, but the studio cut really leaves me wanting.

You know what, you're MAD! Mad as a whole galaxy full of Hatter Planets, each one populated by a zillion hatters!

What about By-Tor then??

You know what, you're MAD! Mad as a whole galaxy full of Hatter Planets, each one populated by a zillion hatters!

I think you've used that line before!

What about By-Tor then??

I never have! :o

What about By-Tor then??

What about this album?

What about By-Tor then??

Anthem and BB&B are SUPERB tracks. Not to mention a tune like Making Memories.

I can respect that Caress of Steel was the first big step in the direction they wanted to go, but I think it was AFtK where they started to really figure out how to do that coherently.

FBN for me.

• Like 2

Frankly, I don't have the desire to listen to Rivendell again, unless I can't fall asleep at night. But most of the rest of the album makes up for it. Very slightly prefer FBN

The things I love about Caress of Steel are many- I love the dark, mythic overtones, I love that it’s a dark album. I think musically it’s much more adventurous than Fly By Night. And so very heavy…and more times than not, it ‘succeeds’ at what it’s sets out to convey. (I had to put that word ‘succeeds’ in quotes, because it is as subjective a statement as you’re thinking it is).

But Fly By Night is the better album. Concise, blows the doors off, just as heavy and rocking and beautiful as you please.

• Like 2

I am one of the biggest fans of COS so it was an easy vote for me. Probably my favorite album by anyone. That or Hemispheres.

Love FBN as well but not as much as COS.

• Like 2

Anyway, I much prefer BOTH of

these albums over the non-Neil debut

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios