Posts from TRF won't load on my phone- did something change 4 days ago? Anyone else?

blueschica

73, take this from another web developer with a grain of salt:

I'm getting lots of 404s from nginx 1.2.1 when attempting to load TRF pages. I'd expect 503s or 502s if the server was unavailable, not 404s. HTTP code doesn't seem to fit the bill semantically?

We're going to do three things to start out. One is increase the RAM in the server. Second is archive a bunch of old threads that haven't seen new posts in seven or more years -- that will decrease the active database by 40%, which should significantly lessen the strain on things, especially during searches and View New Content. Third is get the site https compliant.

Those are low cost and easy things to try that probably should have been done by now anyway. If those don't improve performance then we have to start looking at software upgrades.

Cub, by all means keep giving input. More opinions sure can't hurt.

Feel free to take it to PM if things get too technical for security or personal reasons.

Are you hosting this on-prem on a hard drive or is there some cloud service involved? Adding RAM might not hurt if you feel hardware is the issue for sure. Cleaning out the DB would be a quick hitter (and cheaper I'm sure), just a question of how much you care about the old threads and the data associated.

I won't get too into hosting info out here, but the data is on a SSD. RAM is definitely lacking for a site like this so that needed a bump up anyway.

The archiving of old threads makes them still visible but read-only, but more importantly moves them to a separate database which isn't involved in searches or normal loading of pages.

• Like 1

For what its worth all I've noticed are a few slow loading times, but I figured that was either my new wifi or old laptop screwing with my connection. Actually I noticed it on other sites to, so I'm still pretty sure that's just a me problem, so whatever the issue is other people are having it may not be 100% universal.

73, take this from another web developer with a grain of salt:

I'm getting lots of 404s from nginx 1.2.1 when attempting to load TRF pages. I'd expect 503s or 502s if the server was unavailable, not 404s. HTTP code doesn't seem to fit the bill semantically?

We're going to do three things to start out. One is increase the RAM in the server. Second is archive a bunch of old threads that haven't seen new posts in seven or more years -- that will decrease the active database by 40%, which should significantly lessen the strain on things, especially during searches and View New Content. Third is get the site https compliant.

Those are low cost and easy things to try that probably should have been done by now anyway. If those don't improve performance then we have to start looking at software upgrades.

Cub, by all means keep giving input. More opinions sure can't hurt.

Feel free to take it to PM if things get too technical for security or personal reasons.

Are you hosting this on-prem on a hard drive or is there some cloud service involved? Adding RAM might not hurt if you feel hardware is the issue for sure. Cleaning out the DB would be a quick hitter (and cheaper I'm sure), just a question of how much you care about the old threads and the data associated.

I won't get too into hosting info out here, but the data is on a SSD. RAM is definitely lacking for a site like this so that needed a bump up anyway.

The archiving of old threads makes them still visible but read-only, but more importantly moves them to a separate database which isn't involved in searches or normal loading of pages.

I've got nothing more I could add here, really. These are all good options, especially if the archived content is still viewable.

• Like 2

During the overnight tonight, sometime after midnight EST, we're going to shut down for an hour or two to do a server upgrade and archive some old threads. Scroll up for more details about all that, if you haven't read it already.

73, FYI, tons of problems with "Not Found," showing up today in both Edge and Firefox.

During the overnight tonight, sometime after midnight EST, we're going to shut down for an hour or two to do a server upgrade and archive some old threads. Scroll up for more details about all that, if you haven't read it already.

73, FYI, tons of problems with "Not Found," showing up today in both Edge and Firefox.

I'm getting those too. We'll see what happens after tonight's maintenance.