Posts from TRF won't load on my phone- did something change 4 days ago? Anyone else?

blueschica

During the overnight after I do maintenance on the database I will also reboot our server, and I'll bet those things fix things for everybody.

Hopefully that did the trick. Let me know if problems persist.

No change on my end, still having the same thing about 3 clicks into the session. Thanks for trying.

For a few days I couldn't pull up the forum using Microsoft Edge. So I switched to Firefox.

Have you tried it on Edge today? Curious if the tasks I completed last night had any effect.

At some point this software is going to become less and less compatible with current browsers and devices. We're already seeing it with Apple stuff in recent weeks.

It works fine in Edge now.

• Like 1

I clicked on ‘view new content’ earlier from laptop and got the 404 error. I was using Firefox.

I've never used the View New Content feature. Just tried it, and it took about 7 seconds for it to load. I guess it'll be different for everybody.

During the overnight after I do maintenance on the database I will also reboot our server, and I'll bet those things fix things for everybody.

Hopefully that did the trick. Let me know if problems persist.

No change on my end, still having the same thing about 3 clicks into the session. Thanks for trying.

Looks like some saw improvement while others did not. Interesting. Sorry it's hanging up for you. Our database is getting pretty big after 17 years and we don't archive anything, so I wonder if we need to start thinking about that.

• Like 1

When I click on a topic under View New Content, that’s when it happens (404 error). I’m sorry I should have clarified earlier!

I’m going to try it thru Edge tomorrow. It might just be a browser issue

Edited by Leanne

When I click on a topic under View New Content, that’s when it happens (404 error). I’m sorry I should have clarified earlier!

Thanks for clarifying. I just tried that and also got a 404.

I’m going to try it thru Edge tomorrow. It might just be a browser issue

I normally use Firefox, but I tried Brave and it gave me the same error. Doesn't look like a browser issue.

• Like 2

I'm located in Northeast USA and haven't been able to access posts in about two weeks. Site takes a little longer to load once I login and I can view new content listing with no problem. When I click any post in the new content listing; however, I get a "404 not found" message after a minute or so.

This happens on all my devices and has been going on for several weeks.

• Like 4

I'm located in Northeast USA and haven't been able to access posts in about two weeks. Site takes a little longer to load once I login and I can view new content listing with no problem. When I click any post in the new content listing; however, I get a "404 not found" message after a minute or so.

Yeah, it has been noted on another thread. The Main issue is with the 'View New Content' section.

If you try to view a topic from this section you will just get the 404 not found message.

I have noticed this behaviour for about 10 days now.

To get round it, instead of choosing the topic from the 'View New Content' section, go into Forums and choose it from the appropriate sub forum. A bit of a pain but it works.

• Like 2

66hhid.jpg

• Like 5

66hhid.jpg

PUTIN!!! :rage:

• Like 2

I merged your thread with the one in Reverse Polarity, then moved that thread here into RS.

I'm looking at a couple of options that might speed things up.

• Like 2

I merged your thread with the one in Reverse Polarity, then moved that thread here into RS.

Cutting treeduck all the way back to zero should free up some space :laughing guy: Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 2

Cutting treeduck all the way back to zero should free up some space :laughing guy:

Hmmm....

:7up:

The website times out on Firefox, but it does come in on MEdge. This has been happening for several days now - FYI

73, take this from another web developer with a grain of salt:

I'm getting lots of 404s from nginx 1.2.1 when attempting to load TRF pages. I'd expect 503s or 502s if the server was unavailable, not 404s. HTTP code doesn't seem to fit the bill semantically?

I'm getting lots of 404s from nginx 1.2.1 when attempting to load TRF pages. I'd expect 503s or 502s if the server was unavailable, not 404s. HTTP code doesn't seem to fit the bill semantically?

We're going to do three things to start out. One is increase the RAM in the server. Second is archive a bunch of old threads that haven't seen new posts in seven or more years -- that will decrease the active database by 40%, which should significantly lessen the strain on things, especially during searches and View New Content. Third is get the site https compliant.

Those are low cost and easy things to try that probably should have been done by now anyway. If those don't improve performance then we have to start looking at software upgrades.

Cub, by all means keep giving input. More opinions sure can't hurt.

• Like 3

We're going to do three things to start out. One is increase the RAM in the server. Second is archive a bunch of old threads that haven't seen new posts in seven or more years -- that will decrease the active database by 40%, which should significantly lessen the strain on things, especially during searches and View New Content. Third is get the site https compliant.

Those are low cost and easy things to try that probably should have been done by now anyway. If those don't improve performance then we have to start looking at software upgrades.

Cub, by all means keep giving input. More opinions sure can't hurt.

Feel free to take it to PM if things get too technical for security or personal reasons.

Are you hosting this on-prem on a hard drive or is there some cloud service involved? Adding RAM might not hurt if you feel hardware is the issue for sure. Cleaning out the DB would be a quick hitter (and cheaper I'm sure), just a question of how much you care about the old threads and the data associated.