Posts from TRF won't load on my phone- did something change 4 days ago? Anyone else?

blueschica

I hate to ask this, because I know what a pain it is to track this stuff down, especially since it's on a phone. Starting around 4 days ago, though, some TRF posts won't load on my phone. Nothing on my phone has changed. (that I know of.). It's a Samsung A51, with Android 11. I usually just use the default, Samsung internet.

When I go to the TRF site, it loads. I can read my messages, and if someone likes a post, or quotes a post, I can go from there to that specific post. But, if I choose "View New Content" , all the new posts will list. BUT, when I click on an individual post to read it, the post won't load. Eventually I get a 404 error message.

It just seems to be when I try to go to a post from the "View New Content" page. If I am on the home page, any of the "recent topics" will load and I can read the posts in those. If I am on the home page and select a subforum, it will load and I can select and read posts in those. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Samsung internet app. And cleared every cache I could find. Also downloaded Firefox and Chrome, and the same thing happens in those browsers.

It's just something weird with either my phone or the "View new Content" page. I don't want anyone to have to spend a lot of time on it, but any ideas? I'm kind of used to navigating around from that page. I can learn new tricks though. Thanks in advance!

No problems on desktop but we have been traveling to Pittsburgh a lot and I use my phone extensively there.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 5

I hate to ask this, because I know what a pain it is to track this stuff down, especially since it's on a phone. Starting around 4 days ago, though, some TRF posts won't load on my phone. Nothing on my phone has changed. (that I know of.). It's a Samsung A51, with Android 11. I usually just use the default, Samsung internet.

When I go to the TRF site, it loads. I can read my messages, and if someone likes a post, or quotes a post, I can go from there to that specific post. But, if I choose "View New Content" , all the new posts will list. BUT, when I click on an individual post to read it, the post won't load. Eventually I get a 404 error message.

It just seems to be when I try to go to a post from the "View New Content" page. If I am on the home page, any of the "recent topics" will load and I can read the posts in those. If I am on the home page and select a subforum, it will load and I can select and read posts in those. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Samsung internet app. And cleared every cache I could find. Also downloaded Firefox and Chrome, and the same thing happens in those browsers.

It's just something weird with either my phone or the "View new Content" page. I don't want anyone to have to spend a lot of time on it, but any ideas? I'm kind of used to navigating around from that page. I can learn new tricks though. Thanks in advance!

No problems on desktop but we have been traveling to Pittsburgh a lot and I use my phone extensively there.

I have been having the same problems on my Desktop PC blueschica. Exactly as you have described when attempting anything from the 'View New Content' page. I think I first noticed it on Sunday. I have just been using the home page/subforum route to get round it but, like yourself, I am more used to using the 'View New Content' tab. I get the same problem when using a Chromebook also. Edited by zepphead
  • Like 5

I have been having the same problems on my Desktop PC blueschica. Exactly as you have described when attempting anything from the 'View New Content' page. I think I first noticed it on Sunday. I have just been using the home page/subforum route to get round it but, like yourself, I am more used to using the 'View New Content' tab. I get the same problem when using a Chromebook also.

I have been having the same issue for about 5 days on my PC using Firefox, get the 404 error either on View New Content or under Topics I follow. I thought it might be due to a new update to Firefox but I had the problem start before the last update. I went in and cleared my cache but that didn't help either. I found that when the 404 error comes up, if I go to history on the browser and click on the 404 link, it will then take me to the page I was trying to get to. Strange.

• Like 5

Samsung Internet on my phone and using a Chromebook, both showing 404 and slow loading every little while. I thought it was a residue of the power cuts and loss of 4g signal that have cursed me since last weeks` storm, so I`m reassured that it`s not my problem :bump:

Ok, well I'm glad to know I am not insane, but I'm sorry it's happening to other people. I thought maybe it was just my phone. I'll wait for 73 to do the Maintenance and keep fingers crossed.
  • Like 3

Yeah, I'm getting the 404 errors, too. It seems to only happen on my second or third page; the first couple load okay, and then the site goes away. If I close it out and retry, it works again.

Rebooting doesn't help in my case, I just have it happen about 3 clicks into a viewing session. Only can get to the pages through the history tab once it starts. I hope the maintenance will clear it up.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm getting the 404 errors, too. It seems to only happen on my second or third page; the first couple load okay, and then the site goes away. If I close it out and retry, it works again.

Rebooting doesn't help in my case, I just have it happen about 3 clicks into a viewing session. Only can get to the pages through the history tab once it starts. I hope the maintenance will clear it up.

Yes, I have tried rebooting as well and it has not helped. :(

• Like 1

Since multiple people are having the same issues, rebooting on your end will have little effect.

During the overnight after I do maintenance on the database I will also reboot our server, and I'll bet those things fix things for everybody.

• Like 4

Since multiple people are having the same issues, rebooting on your end will have little effect.

During the overnight after I do maintenance on the database I will also reboot our server, and I'll bet those things fix things for everybody.

Thank you! :)

• Like 1

Hopefully that did the trick. Let me know if problems persist.

I've noticed slightly slower loading times for pages (not just from last night, maybe for a month or so?)... but not sure if that was just on my end...

Edited by lerxt1990

I've noticed some slow page loading the past few days. Not all the time, sometimes everything loads normally. We're overdue for some maintenance, so I'll do that during the overnight tonight. Otherwise, nothing has changed here.

For me, if I google "RUSH Forum" this is the link that comes up, and clicking on it results in the long attempt to load and eventual 404 Not Found error message: therushforum.com

It says "! not secure"

If I copy the link, and paste here, it comes out like this and works.

http://www.therushforum.com/

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

I've noticed slightly slower loading times for pages (not just from last night, maybe for a month or so?)... but not sure if that was just on my end...

Does it seem any better this morning after last night's maintenance?

I've noticed some slow page loading the past few days. Not all the time, sometimes everything loads normally. We're overdue for some maintenance, so I'll do that during the overnight tonight. Otherwise, nothing has changed here.

For me, if I google "RUSH Forum" this is the link that comes up, and clicking on it results in the long attempt to load and eventual 404 Not Found error message: therushforum.com

It says "! not secure"

We're missing that "s" in "https". It's another reason to upgrade this software.

• Like 1

Does it seem any better this morning after last night's maintenance?

It says "! not secure"

We're missing that "s" in "https". It's another reason to upgrade this software.

Better now that you mention it...

For a few days I couldn't pull up the forum using Microsoft Edge. So I switched to Firefox.

Have you tried it on Edge today? Curious if the tasks I completed last night had any effect.

At some point this software is going to become less and less compatible with current browsers and devices. We're already seeing it with Apple stuff in recent weeks.