Alice In Chains: Albums Elimination (Round 1)

_hi_water._

14 members have voted

1. 1. Immune:

• Facelift (1990)
    • Dirt (1992)
    • Alice In Chains (The Dog Album) (1995)
    • Black Gives Way To Blue (2009)
    • The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here (2013)
    • Rainier Fog (2018)
  2. 2. Eliminate:

• Facelift (1990)
    • Dirt (1992)
    • Alice In Chains (The Dog Album) (1995)
    • Black Gives Way To Blue (2009)
    • The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here (2013)
    • Rainier Fog (2018)

Up next:

The Doors

Aerosmith

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Supertramp

Suggestions close on February 28. Any suggestions need to be posted in this thread:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/113652-i-hope-you-arent-bored-of-me-yet-time-for-new-album-eliminations/page__st__40#entry4994578

NOTICE:

Next time I make a poll for new eliminations to vote for, I will have A LOT of artists to add to my "Up Next" list. Not just 10 - thinking maybe 20 or 30. I select these artists by how many votes they get from everyone - the ones with most votes move on to become eliminations.

However, I understand that some people haven't heard an artist's entire discography (I may have added Buckethead just to fire you guys up... we won't do any eliminations of him) - some which can be just from hearing their most popular albums, etc.

Some discographies have one album that is a 10/10 masterpiece, and a few others, not even close.

I don't think we'll have much more discographies to go for that have more than 6 people on here who enjoy a bunch of their material -

so, where I am trying to get at is - if there is an artist that has one, two, or three 10/10 or very fantastic albums, the rest you either haven't heard before or you think are in no way close to the greatness of one album, I'd still suggest you to vote for it. Even if there's just ONE amazing album an artist has, we should still do the elimination - that way, this album can move on to the top secret competition at the very end.

Winners so far:

AC/DC - Highway To Hell (1979)

The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality (1971)

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (1972)

Blue Oyster Cult -Secret Treaties (1974)

Deep Purple - Machine Head (1972)

Def Leppard - Pyromania (1983)

Dream Theater - Awake (1994)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (1973)

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (2011)

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound (1973)

Heart - Little Queen (1977)

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1984)

Journey - Infinity (1978)

Judas Priest - Stained Class (1978)

Kansas - Leftoverture (1976)

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Ozzy Osbourne - Diary Of A Madman (1981)

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)

The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta (1980)

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack (1974)

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. (1972)

Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

Styx - The Grand Illusion (1977)

Triumph - Allied Forces (1981)

U2 - The Joshua Tree (1987)

Van Halen - Fair Warning (1981)

The Who - Who’s Next (1971)

Yes - Close To The Edge (1972)

1. Dirt

2. Tripod

3. BGWTB - criminally underrated by the "if it ain't Layne it ain't Chains" crowd

4. Facelift

5. Rainier Fog

6. TDPDH - only one I think is genuinely bad

The problem with Dinosaurs is that it runs a bit long. A song or two could have been cut. Hallow, Stone, Voices, the title track, Breathe On A Window, Phantom Limb and Choke are all good.

• Like 1

1. Dirt

2. Tripod

3. BGWTB - criminally underrated by the "if it ain't Layne it ain't Chains" crowd

4. Facelift

5. Rainier Fog

At least we agree on not hating all the newer albums just because. I like all the lineups, you can hear that Jerry has been the mastermind behind much of the music going all the way back. His presence is ultimately "Alice In Chains". As sad as I was to lose Layne, over time I've been equally pleased with how the band moved forward and enjoy the new albums almost as much as the old.

I went to cast my vote and immediately hit a wall. This poll is going to be tougher than I though. IMO Facelift has a few great tracks and a lot of meh. In the 30 years I've been listening, probably my least played album (next would be SAP if EPs were included).

The list seems really short and incomplete without SAP and JoF.

1. Dirt

2. Tripod

4. Facelift

5. Rainier Fog

At least we agree on not hating all the newer albums just because. I like all the lineups, you can hear that Jerry has been the mastermind behind much of the music going all the way back. His presence is ultimately "Alice In Chains". As sad as I was to lose Layne, over time I've been equally pleased with how the band moved forward and enjoy the new albums almost as much as the old.

I went to cast my vote and immediately hit a wall. This poll is going to be tougher than I though. IMO Facelift has a few great tracks and a lot of meh. In the 30 years I've been listening, probably my least played album (next would be SAP if EPs were included).

The list seems really short and incomplete without SAP and JoF.

The DuVall era sounds heavier, darker than the Layne era and I'm here for it. Honestly I think the Layne albums might be "better" overall in terms of the songs but I enjoy the newer era more for its sound.

A Looking In View and Check My Brain are perfect examples

• Like 1

1. Dirt

2. Tripod

4. Facelift

5. Rainier Fog

The problem with Dinosaurs is that it runs a bit long. A song or two could have been cut. Hallow, Stone, Voices, the title track, Breathe On A Window, Phantom Limb and Choke are all good.

I'm probably due for a re-listen. There are some songs on Dinosaurs that really grate, though. Pretty Done is a step too far into sludge-drone for me. I think they put out a better effort with Rainier Fog

It's almost criminal not to include the EPs - especially Jar of Flies (while it is short is a significant work and stands on it's own!!) Sap is also cool.

For me, Dirt was the album that made them a real original band and I would give top nod to.

As for the new albums - while I felt Ranier Fog was a little "meh" and Black Gives way a little inconsistent, I really liked The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here!! Easily my favorite of the new ones; Hollow and Stone are just mammoth grooves. Perhaps it got a little more experimental, but I dig it.

• Like 2

1. Dirt

2. Tripod

4. Facelift

5. Rainier Fog

Is this your order of elimination?

:P

Guys, no one interested in this game is going to vote Facelift or Dirt off first.

Not even Analog Cub?

I'm pretty defensive against artists' later albums, especially if I feel people eliminate them without listening to them, but voting off Dirt early is like voting off Moving Pictures early.

• Like 2

1. Dirt

2. Tripod

4. Facelift

5. Rainier Fog

:lol:

I could go without hearing Rooster for a long time, I think. Overplayed.

• Like 1

Guys, no one interested in this game is going to vote Facelift or Dirt off first.

Not even Analog Cub?

I'm pretty defensive against artists' later albums, especially if I feel people eliminate them without listening to them, but voting off Dirt early is like voting off Moving Pictures early.

Too commercial!

1. Dirt

2. Tripod

4. Facelift

5. Rainier Fog

Like most of Zep's classics. But they are still amazing songs.
  • Like 1

Haven’t heard half of these, and only two that I’ve spent any great deal of time with. I distinctly recall not liking Rainier Fog though. I tried it a couple of times and it was just a muddled middling mess.

1. Dirt

2. Tripod

4. Facelift

5. Rainier Fog

Overplayed? Probably. I actually only ever heard Man In The Box and Them Bones before I started getting into AiC, and I’ve still rarely if ever heard anything but those two songs on the radio or in public. As such, when I first heard Rooster I was in college and had totally fresh ears, perfect scenario for it to become by favorite AiC song, which it did.

• Like 1

1. Dirt

2. Tripod

4. Facelift

5. Rainier Fog

Overplayed? Probably. I actually only ever heard Man In The Box and Them Bones before I started getting into AiC, and I’ve still rarely if ever heard anything but those two songs on the radio or in public. As such, when I first heard Rooster I was in college and had totally fresh ears, perfect scenario for it to become by favorite AiC song, which it did.

Rooster isn't even close to being my favorite song on Dirt. I think most of the songs on it are just better. It's a good song but it doesn't hit me like the rest of the album does. In fact I think it's kind of lame that the band ends their shows with it a lot because it just falls flat for me as a show closer. To me something like Would or Man In The Box is a better show ending song.