Gary Brooker dead at 76 yrs

condemned2bfree

I'm flattened, loved Gary and PH.

Saw Procul at the old Eastown Theater in Detroit, supporting Broken Barricades just before Robin left.

Saw Gary playing keyboards for Eric Clapton in the 80's at Pine Knob. " We're going to let Gary sing a little tune" says EC by way of intro, and Gary proceeds to bring the house down with "Whiter Shade of Pale". Roaring standing O from the Pine Knob faithful, and Slowhand nodding in appreciation.

Sleep well, good sir.

• Like 3

I'm flattened, loved Gary and PH.

Saw Procul at the old Eastown Theater in Detroit, supporting Broken Barricades just before Robin left.

Saw Gary playing keyboards for Eric Clapton in the 80's at Pine Knob. " We're going to let Gary sing a little tune" says EC by way of intro, and Gary proceeds to bring the house down with "Whiter Shade of Pale". Roaring standing O from the Pine Knob faithful, and Slowhand nodding in appreciation.

Sleep well, good sir.

Great story abut him with Clapton. I wanna say he was in Ringo's All-Starr Band early on too though not sure.

I saw PH once but long after Robin was gone, '93 opening for Tull, front row (ex won the tix from a radio station). He sounded great and as a band they were a bit goofy that night in contrast to the seriousness of Ian and Co. Believe it was the last show of the tour so likely the reason.

RIP Gary

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1

Geddy posted this on his Instagram account today as a tribute. He said Rush liked to cover this song back in the bar band days. Seems like he liked the idea of someone singing and playing keyboards at the same time. :)

• Like 1

Geddy posted this on his Instagram account today as a tribute. He said Rush liked to cover this song back in the bar band days. Seems like he liked the idea of someone singing and playing keyboards at the same time. :)

Rush and Procol are similar in they have the same songwriting set up. Lyrics and music are seperately done. Like Elton John and Bernie.

• Like 2

I've been sorry, to hear, see, and read this. He will be missed, and remembered. My condolences, and sympathies to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Gary.
  • Like 1

Some of those who gave tributes:Billy Joel, Billy Idol, Steven Vandt, Whitesnake guitarist, Zak Wylde, Ringo Starr, Paul Stanley! Brian May of course, owing a large portion of his career to Procol I'd say.

Some Rush track remind me of Procol. Marathon, Presto. The riff in Simple Sister reminds me of the riff in Tom Sawyer.

• Like 1