Let's settle this once and for all, which is best, which is worse? Presto or Snakes & Arrows?

treeduck

Snakes & Arrows vs Presto  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer, Snakes & Arrows or Presto?

• Presto is better
    • Snakes & Arrows is better
    • Presto is worse
    • Snakes & Arrows is worse
    • Neither let's go back 1976-1981 and forget these two albums
    • My name is Tony R and I only listen to bootlegs these days, though in public I call listening to bootlegs the work of morons and geeks

Ghost Rider hit it for me. Presto isn't bad (although I like the couple of songs they did live from it better than studio version) but not much stands out for me. I like Snakes and Arrows a lot, especially Far Cry and a few others.

What about this album?

HEMI-Fallen-Trees-PE-Front.jpg

YouTube?

Ooh, it looks great! I gotta download this!

• Like 3

Ghost Rider hit it for me. Presto isn't bad (although I like the couple of songs they did live from it better than studio version) but not much stands out for me. I like Snakes and Arrows a lot, especially Far Cry and a few others.

What about this album?

HEMI-Fallen-Trees-PE-Front.jpg

YouTube?

Ooh, it looks great! I gotta download this!

It is on youtube yeah. This one is only version 2.0 though, not the platinum edition:

• Like 2

With Presto it's basically a half-decent side 1 and then side 2 forget it. If you swapped Scars with Available Light so you had...

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

The Pass

War Paint

Presto

Available Light

...you'd have a pretty good EP, if you rerecorded it with Terry Brown and kick out the tupperware drum kit.

• Like 1

With Presto it's basically a half-decent side 1 and then side 2 forget it. If you swapped Scars with Available Light so you had...

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

The Pass

War Paint

Presto

Available Light

...you'd have a pretty good EP, if you rerecorded it with Terry Brown and kick out the tupperware drum kit.

I like that idea! I don't think TRF has settled this once and for all though! :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Kinda like songs on both albums usually never listen to either whole album, skip to the ones I like. Superconductor :facepalm: :scared: Awful.

S & A has some filler too but Far Cry and Workin' them Angels are great as well as Malignant Narcissism and The Main Monkey Business.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

The Pass

War Paint

Presto

Available Light

I like that idea! I don't think TRF has settled this once and for all though! :lol: :lol:

We'll settle it! :bang bang:

• Like 1

Let's do this with Science!TM

Show Don't Tell = Far Cry -- this one starts out with two great tracks, and I refuse to choose (I know, I've already chosen, etc.)

Chain Lightning < Armor and Sword

The Pass > Working Them Angels -- but not by much

War Paint < The Larger Bowl

Scars > Spindrift -- but this is like two bald men arguing over a comb

Presto < The Main Monkey Business

Superconductor > The Way the Wind Blows -- again, this doesn't mean "Super . . ." is really very good

Anagram for Mongo < Hope

Red Tide < Faithless

Hand Over Fist > Bravest Face

Available Light > Good News First

That leaves SnA with two extra tracks and "Malignant Narcissicism" is pretty good, while "We Hold On" is entirely forgettable.

Thus, it's 5 for Presto, 5 for SnA, with one tie, so the tiebreaker goes to Snakes and Arrows in a surprisingly close lightweight contest.

They'd both be twice the album at half the songs, though.

• Like 3

I change my mind. I will join you in your methodology.

Show Don't Tell = Far Cry

Chain Lightning = Armor and Sword

The Pass > Working Them Angels

War Paint = The Larger Bowl

Scars = Spindrift

Presto > The Main Monkey Business

Superconductor = The Way the Wind Blows (they are both bad)

Anagram for Mongo = Hope

Red Tide = Faithless (again, both bad)

Hand Over Fist < Bravest Face

Available Light = Good News First (but I like Good News First and have listened to that more times than Available Light. I think Available Light maybe takes too long to get going.)

• Like 1

Scars = Spindrift

Anagram for Mongo = Hope

Available Light = Good News First (but I like Good News First and have listened to that more times than Available Light. I think Available Light maybe takes too long to get going.)

Rank the RUSH tours by setlist and favourite bootleg from 1977 to 2015. That's your homework for tonight!

Presto > S&A.

Presto is a middle tier album for me and S&A sadly is towards the bottom. I've tried a lot with S&A but it just doesn't seem to ever rise in my personal Rush album rankings.

It's really an oddball recording. They've never sounded like that before or after.

Take chances, and sometimes you fall on your face. Sometimes you just confuse people. And sometimes you make a 2112.

• Like 1

Scars = Spindrift

Anagram for Mongo = Hope

Rank the RUSH tours by setlist and favourite bootleg from 1977 to 2015. That's your homework for tonight!

I have to go to work tonight.

This task might take a while.

• Like 1

Scars = Spindrift

Anagram for Mongo = Hope

I have to go to work tonight.

This task might take a while.

:cheers:

As goose said above, S&A suffers because of the lyrics. Musically it's pretty good, even great in parts, but it doesn't say anything lyrically that Neil hadn't already said - and better - in songs like Freewill and Roll the Bones. An entire album of Neil's theological musings is a little much, the subject matter is simply spread too thin.

That said, Far Cry is a hell of a song, and I also like Armour and Sword, Mal Nar, and Good News First. If Bravest Face, The Larger Bowl and Faithless were cut from the tracklist, it would probably be a much more compelling album.

Presto I also have mixed feelings about. I like it, but I also rarely listen to it. It just doesn't compel me the way other Rush albums do, but I can't put my fingers on why, exactly. Somehow the whole is less than the sum of its parts. Despite some excellent songs (Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Scars, Hand Over Fist, Available Light) it just doesn't get me excited.

Which one of the two do I like more? I'd call it a toss-up. I really can't choose.