Eddie Van Halen impact

Xanadoood

If you ask me personally, Eddie Van Halen was just as important as Jimi Hendrix or Chuck Berry in terms of impact on the genre of rock n roll. He permanently changed the way the electric guitar was used in metal and a lot of the techniques that modern death metal and djent guitarists use can all be traced back to EVH. 

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 3

On 2/22/2022 at 5:41 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

One of Eddie's favorite guitarists was Allan Holdsworth. Holdsworth had very big hands and could do stretches that very few players were capable of. Eddie once said that he needed two hands on the freboard to do some of the things that Holdsworth could do with one.

I met Eddie Van Halen in 1998. It was very brief, but I told him how much I loved his music, and how he made me pick up the guitar. He was SUPER nice to me, and gave me a big hug when I told him that. I got to ask a couple more quick questions, stuff about amps and tubes.  He wasn’t just playing dumb.  He clearly had NO idea of which tubes sounded best in the somewhat new 5150s, where to get good EL-34s, etc.  It was sad, to be honest. This was a few years before he hit rock bottom.  (You probably remember the NAMM photos of him dressed like a hobo, and drunk out of his mind.). But my impression of him was a sweet, insecure guy who was being absolutely consumed by the music industry. (Keep him drunk and happy!  Every 4 years, plug him into an amp and hit Record!). The whole point of this post is when we parted ways, he put his arm around my neck again, and shook my hand. I was shocked. Ed’s hands were HUGE. His right hand swallowed mine. I’ve since read that he could play from the 1st to 7th fret without moving his hand. Likewise, he could stretch from the 5th to 12th frets, or from the14th to the end of the fretboard. 

Edited by Brad737
  • Like 3

On 5/20/2023 at 7:44 PM, custom55 said:

Love this.  One of my favorite riffs from Eddie

Great video.  I really liked his point that EVH wasn't all about the pyrotechnics.  He had to literally slow down the tape to figure out what EVH was actually doing on Hang Em High.

Greatest rock guitarist ever.

• Like 3

Goosebumps every time I hear Hang'Em High. 

... and to all the Diver Down haters :nasty:

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4