What music did you love at the age of 14, and how much do you still love it today?

Entre_Perpetuo

Age 14 for me was 1980-81... ELO was it for me. My first album was their greatest hits. I bought a couple other casettes that day, but they ended up being inconsequential soon enough.

Age 15, however... that's when the floodgates opened. I had a friend who loaned me a couple of Rush albums and some Scorpions. Still love them both. I picked up on Motorhead in high school also. Rush is an amazing band that just keeps getting better to my ears as I get older.

What did you think when you first heard 2112??

Mind blowing.

I was loaned Signals (pretty damn good) and 2112, actually. My friend thought since I liked music like ELO, I might like something complex like 2112. Good guess. Game changer. My album collection started in earnest around then.

Were they the first Rush albums you heard? For me it was Permanent Waves and ATWAS in 1980. I heard both at school and after PeW hearing ATWAS I thought it was a completely different band at first. Of course I was hooked!

• Like 4

I turned 14 in October of 1970. Had been fully immersed in The Beatles since that day in February of '64. Was diving headlong into Led Zeppelin and Sabbath as they were still fairly new at the time. Same goes for Grand Funk. Had also already for some time been heavily into Creedence. The Doors, The Stones, Chicago, Allman Bros., Spirit, Jimi, etc.

Grand Funk. Good bass player. Well, so was JPJ from Zep.

• Like 2

Age 14 for me was 1980-81... ELO was it for me. My first album was their greatest hits. I bought a couple other casettes that day, but they ended up being inconsequential soon enough.

Age 15, however... that's when the floodgates opened. I had a friend who loaned me a couple of Rush albums and some Scorpions. Still love them both. I picked up on Motorhead in high school also. Rush is an amazing band that just keeps getting better to my ears as I get older.

Mind blowing.

I was loaned Signals (pretty damn good) and 2112, actually. My friend thought since I liked music like ELO, I might like something complex like 2112. Good guess. Game changer. My album collection started in earnest around then.

Were they the first Rush albums you heard? For me it was Permanent Waves and ATWAS in 1980. I heard both at school and after PeW hearing ATWAS I thought it was a completely different band at first. Of course I was hooked!

Yeah, they were. Signals was new that year, so my buddy was like "here, check these out." I knew of Rush because of Tom Sawyer being all over the radio, as well as Limelight. Loved Subdivisions. Be cool or be cast out. I was very familiar with that.

Edited by ozzy85
  • Like 2

Mind blowing.

Yeah, they were. Signals was new that year, so my buddy was like "here, check these out." I knew of Rush because of Tom Sawyer being all over the radio, as well as Limelight. Loved Subdivisions. Be cool or be cast out. I was very familiar with that.

I hadn't heard the band at all I don't think. Or if I had I didn't realise. By the time Signals came out I was a "veteran"! :smoke:

• Like 1

Hmmmmm. 2112.

Sometime in the '90's a friend bought a new stereo. We set it up and tested it out with 2112. Cranked it up. Magic. When we had that supposed apocalypse in December 21, 2012, my wife and I made a couple of drinks, turned out the lights, and cranked up 2112. The most enjoyable apocalypse ever. It's that album. It's probably for me what Dark Side Of The Moon is for others.

Is there a 2112 appreciation thread here?

• Like 1

Hmmmmm. 2112.

Sometime in the '90's a friend bought a new stereo. We set it up and tested it out with 2112. Cranked it up. Magic. When we had that supposed apocalypse in December 21, 2012, my wife and I made a couple of drinks, turned out the lights, and cranked up 2112. The most enjoyable apocalypse ever. It's that album. It's probably for me what Dark Side Of The Moon is for others.

There probably is, but there's always room for more. :hail:

• Like 1

Hmmmmm. 2112.

DSOTM was the first classic rock non greatest hits album I owned in my youth. Got it in late April 1999 in my senior year of high school. Someone in my 6th period philosophy class played Eclipse during class that semester. It was even a couple of weeks after that and a fellow 2nd period class combined for a field trip to some Buddhist temple calles Hsi Lai in Hacienda Heights,CA.

I got Greatest Hits by Tom Petty when i turned 18 alongside Hello Nasty by Beastie Boys and Eve 6 self titled.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 3

Hmmmmm. 2112.

DSOTM was the first classic rock non greatest hits album I owned in my youth. Got it in late April 1999 in my senior year of high school. Someone in my 6th period philosophy class played Eclipse during class that semester. It was even a couple of weeks after that and a fellow 2nd period class combined for a field trip to some Buddhist temple calles Hsi Lai in Hacienda Heights,CA.

I got Greatest Hits by Tom Petty when i turned 18 alongside Hello Nasty by Beastie Boys and Eve 6 self titled.

EVE 6!!!

Mind blowing.

Not sure why I kinda ignored Permanent Waves back then. I've really been into it lately. Alex's guitar work on Different Strings is absolute mastery.

• Like 2

Mind blowing.

Not sure why I kinda ignored Permanent Waves back then. I've really been into it lately. Alex's guitar work on Different Strings is absolute mastery.

Well I just gradually bought all their albums and Permanent Waves was one of the first ones I got. I think the first one I actually bought was a second hand copy of 2112, I got it fairly cheap and it was in great condition so I was really happy. And of course I got a brand new copy later on but that was after I got all the other ones.

• Like 1

Well, there are plenty of bands with albums I love today that weren't really out when I was 14. These include Talking Heads, Men At Work, Midnight Oil, DEVO, The Church, B52s, Violent Femmes, X, REM...the college years new wave/alternative stuff. Add to that Dire Straits, Steely Dan, James Taylor, Van Morrison, Jimmy Buffet etc. that I really didn't get into till my post-college professional years.

While I do still love the classic rock of my middle and early high school years...VH, Cheap Trick, Queen, ACDC, Floyd, Boston, that has never fully defined my musical preferences.

• Like 2

Yeah most of the same shit plus a ton of other shit!

This is true of me, too. Although, interestingly, the band I disliked the most when I was 14 is now the love of my musical life. Yes, that's right! I hated :rush: when I was a teenager!

• Like 2

I turned 14 in 1981. Most of the bands I listened to then are the bands I listen to most often now. Of the bands that were NOT yet famous, the grunge bands of the late 80s early 90s are the only ones I got heavily into. New music isn't entirely a "young man's game," but it mostly is IMO.
  • Like 2

This is true of me, too. Although, interestingly, the band I disliked the most when I was 14 is now the love of my musical life. Yes, that's right! I hated :rush: when I was a teenager!

When I was 14 and I tried to get other people who didn't like RUSH into RUSH, I often got the same first response about the vocals: "It sounds like a woman!" My cousin said this when I played him Permanent Waves: "It all sounds the same!" It was hard work back then.

My cousin said this when I played him Permanent Waves: "It all sounds the same!"

Did he put on an AC/DC record after that?

• Like 1

My cousin said this when I played him Permanent Waves: "It all sounds the same!"

Did he put on an AC/DC record after that?

Hah, no I think he was more of a pop fan. He was a bit of a brainiac actually, studying to be a barrister (he quit later on though, this was like 1983ish). No 1981ish.

Edited by treeduck