Let's get sentimental about VAPOR TRAILS - It's almost 20 years since it was first released

treeduck

treeduck, I love that you are making so many new threads and topics - thank you!

But, seriously, I hated this album at first listen.

It is a long story, but after a few years of life stuff and not really paying attention to the band, there came this album.

I was, like, WTF?

I decided it was more energy than most of us can (maybe?) appreciate - the whole re-starting, let's each not be too, too large with our sounds...too late!

And all that, after deciding to do more music together. They could have ended but chose to keep going.

What a potential sh*t show. I don't wish to sound flaky when I say it sounds "organic", but a bit over the top?

But being the dudes they are, it was worked into an album for release. Even had to be re-mastered.

I really feel it is part of the band's story, as much as Caress Of Steel ("down the tubes!"), or, 2112 (too weird!), Moving Pictures (when we got huge)...Vapor Trails...when we went nuts!!

And that is why I sincerely love, LOVE, the sounds of Snakes & Arrows.

The follow up of them playing together, again. More refined, more cohesive. An amazing follow up album.

...plink, plink...

:cheers:

• Like 1

On the Geddyboard I was the first person to call it VT.

On CP I was the first person to call the remix VTOI - for Vapor Trails Original Intent.

So, that's something. I mean, yeah, VT as an acronym makes sense.... but it's kind of cool to think that i was the first person on the internet to say it. LOL.

Oh yeah... Rush was back after 5 years. That was a thing. :)

Wow! I'm always fascinated by internet history, because theoretically it's all recorded forever, but because of the size and scope of the internet, it's likely no one will ever see many of its "firsts" if they weren't there to witness them.

As for my own bit of internet history, I started the Best Song From Clockwork Angels poll / thread in Totem Polls. All of the other albums had similar polls already, but I noticed in 2013 that no one had bothered to make one for Clockwork Angels right when it came out, so I made one for it, and eventually it got pinned up with the rest of them, which were all originally started by one of the Mods. So there's my little piece of history.

• Like 2

On the Geddyboard I was the first person to call it VT.

On CP I was the first person to call the remix VTOI - for Vapor Trails Original Intent.

So, that's something. I mean, yeah, VT as an acronym makes sense.... but it's kind of cool to think that i was the first person on the internet to say it. LOL.

Oh yeah... Rush was back after 5 years. That was a thing. :)

Wow! I'm always fascinated by internet history, because theoretically it's all recorded forever, but because of the size and scope of the internet, it's likely no one will ever see many of its "firsts" if they weren't there to witness them.

As for my own bit of internet history, I started the Best Song From Clockwork Angels poll / thread in Totem Polls. All of the other albums had similar polls already, but I noticed in 2013 that no one had bothered to make one for Clockwork Angels right when it came out, so I made one for it, and eventually it got pinned up with the rest of them, which were all originally started by one of the Mods. So there's my little piece of history.

Right now, Clockwork Angels vs Senjutsu, which is the stronger album?

20 years? Holy COW!

I remember the excitement of it coming out vividly. I like the album, top half Id say.

I remember that Ceiling Unlimited Live was so good live.

And I will, after seeing them on every tour since Signals to the bitter end, never forget that moment they came back onto the stage after that hiatus.

• Like 3

We are as far from VT as VT was from Signals I think. Holy f.

Yeah I was shocked myself. That's why I started the thread. I was on amazon looking for the Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary pre-order (it's still not up) and I searched RUSH and just happened to click on Vapor Trails the original album and boom there it was, you purchased this item way back in April 2002!

• Like 2

And that is why I sincerely love, LOVE, the sounds of Snakes & Arrows.

The follow up of them playing together, again. More refined, more cohesive. An amazing follow up album.

Hahahaha ... excellent trolling. I'm in full agreement.

Despite the plodding midtempo "songs" of S&A, at least that album doesn't make my ears bleed, like its predecessor.

Listening to Secret Touch right now. I heard it in Beyond the Lighted Stage in 2011 and that's one of the songs that grabbed me. I just love the album because it is so in your face, the punch of the lyrics and music. That's when I became a Rush fan and soon came here to learn more about them. I can still see that clip of Neil on his motorcycle going down a winding road with the outro to Secret Touch in the background. Still makes me marvel at their talent. Vapor Trails is one of my favorites for sure. Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

20 years? Holy COW!

I remember the excitement of it coming out vividly. I like the album, top half Id say.

I remember that Ceiling Unlimited Live was so good live.

And I will, after seeing them on every tour since Signals to the bitter end, never forget that moment they came back onto the stage after that hiatus.

I wish they hadn't dropped that song live but at least we go to hear it opening night.

I got one for you ... if you go from NOW to Roll The Bones, then go back the same amount of time from there, it would be when the Beatles formed.

giphy_s.gif

Or if you go from now to MP, and from then back the same distance, you'd be at the Fall of France in WW2.