Permanent Waves 40th anniversary remastering disappointment

Bapt_theAnalogKid

For the Hemispheres set they should have binned the Pink Pop Festival tapes and given us a gig with this setlist instead, like this one from Southampton 1979:

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part II: Apollo

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part III: Dionysus

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part V: Cygnus

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part VI: The Sphere

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

2112 Part I: Overture

2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

2112 Part III: Discovery

2112 Part IV: Presentation

2112 Part VI: Soliloquy

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Personally, I think the sound on the 40th anniversary PeW is stellar, but I'm not really an audiophile, just a massive Rush fan.

Anyway, bienvenu! :)

Actually I've posted that in the wrong thread. Ah well.

Don't worry, no biggies!

Personally, I think the sound on the 40th anniversary PeW is stellar, but I'm not really an audiophile, just a massive Rush fan.

Anyway, bienvenu! :)

Thank you very much!

I don't like this remaster either. It feels like some of the life was sucked out of the songs. I really notice it on Natural Science especially.

Please listen to my remaster, Natural Science is probably the best of the 6 !

So, I just did an A/B/C/D comparison of The Spirit of Radio from the original CD, the '97 remaster, the Sector 2 remaster, and the 40th anniversary remaster. Hoo boy. I can do an in depth analysis of these if people are interested, but the TLDR is that the 40th anniversary remix is BY FAR the worst version. It basically sounds like someone took a towel and threw it over the speaker. I don't know what they were thinking.  After that, if you adjust your volume, there isn't much difference between the other three versions. The 97 remaster adds a bit more sub and a little treble to the original, but is mostly just 4dB louder. This makes it sound a slight bit harsher at higher volumes but at normal volume it is a little clearer. The Sector remix is somewhere in between. It is slightly smoother than the '97 remaster, but it is compressed (not a ton but when you A/B them you can hear it), so there is a little less dynamic range. As for the 40th Anniversary remaster? It's like they cut the treble 20% and added in more 300Hz mud at the same time, and put the volume back to where it was on the original CD (which, admittedly, does give you max dynamic range, but when it sounds this bad, does it matter?).

I'm curious, what version did you (the OP) remaster? If I was going to try it, I probably would just start with the original un-adulterated version.

As a side note, I got this version for the live bonus tracks, and they are cool to hear, but they also sound muddy. I don't know what Terry was working with when he mixed them; it's very possible the source material was muddy to begin with (EQing for live sound is very different than EQing for recording).  

Edited by DJLightray
  • Like 1