How excited are you about the upcoming new MEGADETH album, reportedly titled "The Sick, the Dying...and the Dead"?

treeduck

How excited are you about the new MEGADETH album?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How excited are you about the new MEGADETH album on a scale of 1-10?

• 10 - I'm f***ing out of my mind waiting around for it, I can't f***ing sleep wondering what Dave Mustaine is doing!
    • 9 - I'm absolutely creaming my jeans at the prospect
    • 8 - I'm very excited
    • 7 - I'm looking forward to it
    • 6 - I'm interested and cautiously optimistic
    • 5 - Meh, they haven't done a good one since the mid 90's
    • 4 - I didn't even know there was a new album in the works
    • 3 - Are Megadeth still going?
    • 2 - God I hate that band, Mustaine is a dick, he can't sing and he looks like an upright asshole with ginger hair
    • 1 - Not interested in the slightest, can't stand their stuff
    • 0 - I think I'd kill Mustaine if I ever met him
    • -1 - Dave Shitstaine is a blight on the musical landscape and should be purged
    • -10 - If I hear another note of Megadeth's music I'll find a real warhead and bury it in Mustaine's forehead!

I'm looking forward to it. I don't really get overly excited for new releases anymore. If it sucks, I will just go back and listen to the old stuff. Like what happened with the new Maiden.

Do you think the new Maiden sucks that badly? I've only listened to it once so far, I thought it was ok. I like it better after one listen than The Book of Souls.

They made a bad choice in making most of the album mid tempo songs. Makes it tough to listen to without losing interest.

You say that but I don't get it, I can listen to it start to finish and hit replay as soon as it's done.

I'm looking forward to it. I don't really get overly excited for new releases anymore. If it sucks, I will just go back and listen to the old stuff. Like what happened with the new Maiden.

Do you think the new Maiden sucks that badly? I've only listened to it once so far, I thought it was ok. I like it better after one listen than The Book of Souls.

They made a bad choice in making most of the album mid tempo songs. Makes it tough to listen to without losing interest.

You say that but I don't get it, I can listen to it start to finish and hit replay as soon as it's done.

Have you done that before? Not twice in one day with a break inbetween but actually did back to back listens to it?

Have you done that before? Not twice in one day with a break inbetween but actually did back to back listens to it?

Senjutsu yes! I have found it a very addictive listen.

i love Senjutsu. i haven't done back to back listens but i come back to it a lot.

the out right hate it's gotten here is a mystery to me but music ids a personal thing so what do i know. the mid tempo thing escapes me too BTW. lol.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I cooled off on Senjutsu after a while, and it was for much the same reason as J has trouble with it: too much plodding, not much separation between some songs. I do like it all, but after the first three songs I could hit snooze until the three epics at the end. You’d think the epics would be even more of a chore given their slow buildups and overall length (and back to back to back placement)… but Steve Harris just knows how to arrange a song so that it reels you in right from the first few notes. The lengthy arrangements actually benefit the songs as they all have very easy build ups to get sucked into and reach very satisfying conclusions after the meat of the song is gone.

But there’s nothing there I dislike, I just think it could be paced better.

• Like 1

the mid tempo thing escapes me too BTW. lol.

I hear what he's saying about the lack of variety in the tempo; it's numbing after a while. I think I've given Senjutsu a fair chance, and other than the two tracks I heard before I listened to the whole thing, I could barely tell them all apart.

And while that may not necessarily be terrible (lots of AC/DC has the same tempo), it seems a missed chance for a band like Maiden. I've always associated IM with that galloping bass that seemed be Harris's calling card, and it gave so much of their early/mid '80s stuff that propulsive quality that just made me want to move, to play some air bass: "Aces High," "The Trooper," etc. Instead, the recent releases just seem less forceful.

I do really like "The Writing on the Wall," though, better than anything from The Book Of Souls.

As for the Megadeth, I may listen to some of it, but my expectations are low.

Hmmm, I've heard a lot of people talk about tempo on TRF. A lot of people had a problem with S&A because they thought the songs weren't in a fast enough tempo. I had a problem with S&A because of the song quality. I don't think about tempo when I'm listening to a new song or any song. If it's fast it's it's fast if it's slow it's slow. I don't listen to Piece of Mind or Moving Pictures and think, well I like song A over song B because it's got a faster tempo. I never think about it at all. The last time I thought about tempo that I can recall is when I bought the 30th Anniversary edition of Defenders of the Faith, listened to the live discs and found the whole set was played way to fast, totally ruined the experience. I haven't listened to those live discs since.

Normally tempo doesn't play much of a factor in whether or not I like a song. But when a band goes out of it's way to make everything on an album a mid tempo drag like Maiden has done with Senjitsu it certainly has an effect on how much I like it. When most of the songs are 8-12 minutes and they all have a similar vibe, all the songs just kind of run together and it makes it harder for me to enjoy it

So what you really mean is you think all the songs sound alike?

So what your saying is, he needs reminding of what he actually said:)

Hmmm, I've heard a lot of people talk about tempo on TRF. A lot of people had a problem with S&A because they thought the songs weren't in a fast enough tempo. I had a problem with S&A because of the song quality. I don't think about tempo when I'm listening to a new song or any song. If it's fast it's it's fast if it's slow it's slow. I don't listen to Piece of Mind or Moving Pictures and think, well I like song A over song B because it's got a faster tempo. I never think about it at all. The last time I thought about tempo that I can recall is when I bought the 30th Anniversary edition of Defenders of the Faith, listened to the live discs and found the whole set was played way to fast, totally ruined the experience. I haven't listened to those live discs since.

Normally tempo doesn't play much of a factor in whether or not I like a song. But when a band goes out of it's way to make everything on an album a mid tempo drag like Maiden has done with Senjitsu it certainly has an effect on how much I like it. When most of the songs are 8-12 minutes and they all have a similar vibe, all the songs just kind of run together and it makes it harder for me to enjoy it

So you're trying to piss me off, it's not working. :hi:

• Like 1

Never the intention, ever. Don't judge so harshly :smoke: :hi:

• Like 1

Never the intention, ever. Don't judge so harshly :smoke: :hi:

:bacon: :burger: :pizza: :hotdog: :sundog:

• Like 1

I don't begrudge Dave his political views and opinions, it's the fire in his mind that makes drives him to make such great metal after all! However, if this goes down any kind of a Van Morrison / Eric Clapton kind of route lyrically... it'd be a bit like one of your favorite bands writing a song insulting your mother. It might be a great song, but I just don't think I could listen to it.

Van Morrison/Eric Clapton?

Recent Van Morrison / Eric Clapton. That's what I mean.

I'll just torrent it if that's the case. Album sells but who's buying? Not me. :lol:

To be fair, latter day Clapton isn't really all that to begin with anyways. At least Van did a good score recently with Belfast as much of a wanker as he's become lately. Good return to Brannagh's earlier non big budget movies although some of his bigger movies like Murder on the Orient Express were good in their own right.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

I don't begrudge Dave his political views and opinions, it's the fire in his mind that makes drives him to make such great metal after all! However, if this goes down any kind of a Van Morrison / Eric Clapton kind of route lyrically... it'd be a bit like one of your favorite bands writing a song insulting your mother. It might be a great song, but I just don't think I could listen to it.

Van Morrison/Eric Clapton?

Recent Van Morrison / Eric Clapton. That's what I mean.

I'll just torrent it if that's the case. Album sells but who's buying? Not me. :lol:

To be fair, latter day Clapton isn't really all that to begin with anyways. At least Van did a good score recently with Belfast as much of a wanker as he's become lately. Good return to Brannagh's earlier non big budget movies although some of his bigger movies like Murder on the Orient Express were good in their own right.

Yeah, I vastly prefer Van to Clapton musically speaking. Clapton's career just rubs me the wrong way: make some great albums from 1967-1970, then follow it up with a career of mostly mediocrity with a couple flashes of leftover greatness floating around. He's certainly not one of my favorite guitarists or songwriters. Van on the other hand has something really special as a singer and as a songwriter, which is like no other artist. Even if it's average or sub-par Van, you're still getting something no one else can give you. And those classics? Astral Weeks, Moondance, His Band And Street Choir?? Deep wells of musical mysticism and magic. I'll take any of them over any of Clapton's solo stuff, barring maybe his rightly praised Unplugged album. Clapton's best work was always with other people, because on his own his flavor is pretty bland.

8 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

Thank goodness for Youtube.  That violent video would NEVER pass for MTV and on a rare chance that they play one, it's usually top 40 crap.

Wait, MTV is still on the air?

The Sick, the Dying… and the Dead! Tracklist:
01. The Sick, the Dying… and the Dead!
02. Life in Hell
03. Night Stalkers (feat. Ice T)
04. Dogs of Chernobyl
05. Sacrifice
06. Junkie
07. Psychopathy
08. Killing Time
09. Soldier On!
10. Célebutante
11. Mission to Mars
12. We’ll Be Back
13. Police Truck (Bonus Track)
14. This Planet’s On Fire (Burn In Hell) (feat. Sammy Hagar) (Bonus Track)

Megadeth-The-Sick-The-Dying-and-the-Dead

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, treeduck said:

The Sick, the Dying… and the Dead! Tracklist:
01. The Sick, the Dying… and the Dead!
02. Life in Hell
03. Night Stalkers (feat. Ice T)
04. Dogs of Chernobyl
05. Sacrifice
06. Junkie
07. Psychopathy
08. Killing Time
09. Soldier On!
10. Célebutante
11. Mission to Mars
12. We’ll Be Back
13. Police Truck (Bonus Track)
14. This Planet’s On Fire (Burn In Hell) (feat. Sammy Hagar) (Bonus Track)

Megadeth-The-Sick-The-Dying-and-the-Dead

💥Can’t wait to hear it !! 💥:ROCK:

• Like 2

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

So, what does everyone think of the new song? I like it a lot. Definitely an old school Megadeth vibe to it.

I've not listened to it yet, I'm going to listen to it after I finish listening to Youthanasia. Everyone seems to like it in the blabbermouth comments, and they're usually a tough crowd.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I've not listened to it yet, I'm going to listen to it after I finish listening to Youthanasia. Everyone seems to like it in the blabbermouth comments, and they're usually a tough crowd.

Yeah, I usually hate a lot of the comments on that site. A lot of them just play up the whole elitist metal fan thing. But there isn't a better one stop site to get all our metal news than them.

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yeah, I usually hate a lot of the comments on that site. A lot of them just play up the whole elitist metal fan thing. But there isn't a better one stop site to get all our metal news than them.

Yeah, I think a lot of them are just trolls, but even the trolls seem to have dropped their bullshit and been blown away. I'll check it out now myself!

• Like 1