How excited are you about the upcoming new MEGADETH album, reportedly titled "The Sick, the Dying...and the Dead"?

treeduck

How excited are you about the new MEGADETH album?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How excited are you about the new MEGADETH album on a scale of 1-10?

• 10 - I'm f***ing out of my mind waiting around for it, I can't f***ing sleep wondering what Dave Mustaine is doing!
    • 9 - I'm absolutely creaming my jeans at the prospect
    • 8 - I'm very excited
    • 7 - I'm looking forward to it
    • 6 - I'm interested and cautiously optimistic
    • 5 - Meh, they haven't done a good one since the mid 90's
    • 4 - I didn't even know there was a new album in the works
    • 3 - Are Megadeth still going?
    • 2 - God I hate that band, Mustaine is a dick, he can't sing and he looks like an upright asshole with ginger hair
    • 1 - Not interested in the slightest, can't stand their stuff
    • 0 - I think I'd kill Mustaine if I ever met him
    • -1 - Dave Shitstaine is a blight on the musical landscape and should be purged
    • -10 - If I hear another note of Megadeth's music I'll find a real warhead and bury it in Mustaine's forehead!

I don't begrudge Dave his political views and opinions, it's the fire in his mind that makes drives him to make such great metal after all! However, if this goes down any kind of a Van Morrison / Eric Clapton kind of route lyrically... it'd be a bit like one of your favorite bands writing a song insulting your mother. It might be a great song, but I just don't think I could listen to it.

I don't begrudge Dave his political views and opinions, it's the fire in his mind that makes drives him to make such great metal after all! However, if this goes down any kind of a Van Morrison / Eric Clapton kind of route lyrically... it'd be a bit like one of your favorite bands writing a song insulting your mother. It might be a great song, but I just don't think I could listen to it.

Van Morrison/Eric Clapton?

• Like 1

Recent Van Morrison / Eric Clapton. That's what I mean.

Yeah but I don't get the "...kind of route lyrically" bit? What do you mean? Why would it?

• Like 1

Yeah but I don't get the "...kind of route lyrically" bit? What do you mean? Why would it?

The album title and a couple of the song titles make it sound to me like some of the lyrics might be about the pandemic, and I don't really know what Dave has to say about the pandemic, but I do know he has some pretty controversial takes on a variety of politicized things, and thus I anticipate that he may have written songs denouncing the covid vaccines and other virus-related protocols as hoaxes or conspiracies. If the songs go in that lyrical direction, I will probably find it difficult to listen to them, because I'm of the mindset that everyone ought to follow the protocols whenever possible. And that's all I'm gonna say on the topic since it probably belongs in SOCN.

As far as the music is concerned, many months ago there was a clip of a new Megadeth riff that Dave was recording, and I thought it was wicked.

The album title and a couple of the song titles make it sound to me like some of the lyrics might be about the pandemic, and I don't really know what Dave has to say about the pandemic, but I do know he has some pretty controversial takes on a variety of politicized things, and thus I anticipate that he may have written songs denouncing the covid vaccines and other virus-related protocols as hoaxes or conspiracies. If the songs go in that lyrical direction, I will probably find it difficult to listen to them, because I'm of the mindset that everyone ought to follow the protocols whenever possible. And that's all I'm gonna say on the topic since it probably belongs in SOCN.

As far as the music is concerned, many months ago there was a clip of a new Megadeth riff that Dave was recording, and I thought it was wicked.

Well actually Dave said recently that the title track isn't about the pandemic directly, it's about The Great Plague of the 14th century. The plague known as The Black Death. So your fears are unfounded.

Well actually Dave said recently that the title track isn't about the pandemic directly, it's about The Great Plague of the 14th century. The plague known as The Black Death. So your fears are unfounded.

Maybe.

Maybe.

Well don't listen to it then, that's your solution. And don't bring politics into this thread again. You have been warned!

• Like 1

Maybe.

Well don't listen to it then, that's your solution. And don't bring politics into this thread again. You have been warned!

Hey man, I'd rather not bring politics anywhere, lol. They mess with my head.

Maybe.

What's the connection between ASIA and Megadeth?

Maybe.

They've both had a ton of lineup changes?

Maybe.

Al Pitrelli has been the lead guitarist and recorded albums with both bands.

Maybe.

Al Pitrelli has been the lead guitarist and recorded albums with both bands.

I did not know that!

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to it. I don't really get overly excited for new releases anymore. If it sucks, I will just go back and listen to the old stuff. Like what happened with the new Maiden.

Do you think the new Maiden sucks that badly? I've only listened to it once so far, I thought it was ok. I like it better after one listen than The Book of Souls.

I'm looking forward to it. I don't really get overly excited for new releases anymore. If it sucks, I will just go back and listen to the old stuff. Like what happened with the new Maiden.

Do you think the new Maiden sucks that badly? I've only listened to it once so far, I thought it was ok. I like it better after one listen than The Book of Souls.

They made a bad choice in making most of the album mid tempo songs. Makes it tough to listen to without losing interest.

They made a bad choice in making most of the album mid tempo songs. Makes it tough to listen to without losing interest.

Hmmm, I've heard a lot of people talk about tempo on TRF. A lot of people had a problem with S&A because they thought the songs weren't in a fast enough tempo. I had a problem with S&A because of the song quality. I don't think about tempo when I'm listening to a new song or any song. If it's fast it's it's fast if it's slow it's slow. I don't listen to Piece of Mind or Moving Pictures and think, well I like song A over song B because it's got a faster tempo. I never think about it at all. The last time I thought about tempo that I can recall is when I bought the 30th Anniversary edition of Defenders of the Faith, listened to the live discs and found the whole set was played way to fast, totally ruined the experience. I haven't listened to those live discs since.

Hmmm, I've heard a lot of people talk about tempo on TRF. A lot of people had a problem with S&A because they thought the songs weren't in a fast enough tempo. I had a problem with S&A because of the song quality. I don't think about tempo when I'm listening to a new song or any song. If it's fast it's it's fast if it's slow it's slow. I don't listen to Piece of Mind or Moving Pictures and think, well I like song A over song B because it's got a faster tempo. I never think about it at all. The last time I thought about tempo that I can recall is when I bought the 30th Anniversary edition of Defenders of the Faith, listened to the live discs and found the whole set was played way to fast, totally ruined the experience. I haven't listened to those live discs since.

Normally tempo doesn't play much of a factor in whether or not I like a song. But when a band goes out of it's way to make everything on an album a mid tempo drag like Maiden has done with Senjitsu it certainly has an effect on how much I like it. When most of the songs are 8-12 minutes and they all have a similar vibe, all the songs just kind of run together and it makes it harder for me to enjoy it

Normally tempo doesn't play much of a factor in whether or not I like a song. But when a band goes out of it's way to make everything on an album a mid tempo drag like Maiden has done with Senjitsu it certainly has an effect on how much I like it. When most of the songs are 8-12 minutes and they all have a similar vibe, all the songs just kind of run together and it makes it harder for me to enjoy it

So what you really mean is you think all the songs sound alike?

Maybe.

Think of it as an allegory. And either listen to the record, or don’t. :huh:

To me, Megadeth has never been about Dave’s politics. It’s about the sound- the shredding, riffing, crunching, and pounding rhythms. That’s what makes Megadeth my favourite metal band of all time.

“Looking forward to it” is putting it mildly, for me.

I definitely agree about Senjutsu. I’ve listened to it a handful of times and haven’t latched on to even one song. (Yes, I thought The Book of Souls was better, by miles). I was really disappointed.

I thought Dystopia was brilliant, and I am excited for the new one to hurry up and get here, already!

• Like 1