Live Alive O(nly).

pjbear05

Is there any musician or group that your musical experience is based solely on recordings of live concerts and/or attending concerts of that entity?

For me it was the performances of Virgil Fox and his "Heavy Organ"- a Rodgers electric 3 or 5 keyboard and full pedalboard, built to duplicate the sound a traditional pipe organ, wired into a monster amplifier and over 100 different speakers. I first experienced Virgil through his vinyl LP "Live at Filmore East", followed by "Heavy Organ- Bach Live in San Francisco" at Winterland (below).

I was spellbound as much by his playing, mostly of Bach organ pieces, as by his iconoclastic commentary, which he gave between tunes. His brash statement of "I am convinced that Sebastian Bach is GLAD that YOU are HERE" never failed to elicit a cheer from the audience.

Along with his albums, I saw Virgil live 3 times, once in a movie theater where he did sets from his Rodgers, and a set on the theater's organ, whose key and pedalboard set rose via a hydraulic mechanism from an orchestra pit.

Any other live only experiences? Have at it!

Bach Live At Winterland:

Edited by pjbear05

To be totally honest, unless it is an unrecorded artist, if I hear them live and like them, I will seek out any studio stuff they have.

However, terms of artists who have sounded better live compared to their studio stuff, one artist springs to mind ...

Rory Gallagher.

I was lucky enough to see him live in his heyday in the '70s (particularly the legendary Ulster Hall gigs) and the studio stuff, however good, could never compare.

• Like 2

A band that I really really like seeing live is The Darkness. Seen them live 3 times, and they are crazy live (the singer mostly). I even got a drumstick from them, which is cool.

But their studio records.....nah, kinda boring. Specially the later ones. I kind of enjoy the first two. I almost never listen to their studio records.