Music from your parents

Laurabw

Someone posted this on Twitter today. What artists did your parents introduce you to when you were growing up? Albums or bands.

i’ll start. Mine are all from my dad, he played music whenever he could and every Saturday and Sunday morning it was a guarantee.

Jesus Christ superstar, the original soundtrack.

Neil Diamond early 70s stuff. Tap Root Manuscript.

The Beatles. The Beach Boys - pet sounds.

songs in the key of life, Stevie Wonder.

The Eagles, one of his faves.

mamas and the Papas, Spanky and our gang, the carpenters. Carly Simon.

ELO and The Moody Blues - he gave me the prog bug I guess!

• Like 3

My dad showed me both Queen and Rush. Although my dad really only knew Moving Pictures, so I explored rest of their music on my own, after we saw the Time Machine Tour. I think my dad really think that the Moving Picture is their only good record (maybe 2112 as well)

But he have showed me much music while me growing up. Some he failed making me like, others he succeeded.

Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 1

My dad showed me both Queen and Rush. Although my dad really only knew Moving Pictures, so I explored rest of their music on my own, after we saw the Time Machine Tour. I think my dad really think that the Moving Picture is their only good record (maybe 2112 as well)

But he have showed me much music while me growing up. Some he failed making me like, others he succeeded.

And what efforts of his were in vain that you didn’t like them?

And what efforts of his were in vain that you didn’t like them?

Well his number 1 favorite band is Genesis... I have never got into them. He have tried since I was 7 years to make me like them. In my opinion it sounds to outdated (even for the 70s). It's hard to explain... I do like Peter Gabriel solo tho.

Another band that he tried to make me like was Marillion (with Fish). I did not like them at all during my whole childhood, did not get it... but then a few years, I saw Fish live. And I enjoyed their music more. Also I was not really into prog rock before I found Rush, and that was back in 2010, so you can say I am kinda new to prog rock. Even tho I have heard it my whole life, I never really listened to prog rock on my own before Rush (in 2010). Edited by YYZumbi

My dad.....none he wasn't a music guy, lol. he was the sports guy and......not for me, lol

my mom mostly liked siner/songwriter and folk artists so.

Simon and Garfunkel/Paul Simon Solo

Leonard Cohen

Bob Dylan

Joni Mitchell

James Taylor

Gordon Lightfoot

Jackson Browne

those type of artists.

Everything else like the rock the metal side, the prog side etc. came from my uncle. dude's house is like a vinyl storage unit, lol

He also gave me my love of weird shit.

Zappa

Beefheart

Waits

Todd Rundgren

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Sounds like your dad and I have similar taste lol. As you’ve probably seen on here I am a huge Fish fan. And what’s actually quite funny and ironic is that I’ve been at my parents’ house for a few of the Fish on Fridays (holiday shows) so they’ve watched some of it with me and after he put out his final album Weltchmerz they became fans of that!!

1644167408[/url]' post='4989450']

My dad.....none he wasn't a music guy, lol. he was the sports guy and......not for me, lol

my mom mostly liked siner/songwriter and folk artists so.

Simon and Garfunkel/Paul Simon Solo

Leonard Cohen

Bob Dylan

Joni Mitchell

James Taylor

Gordon Lightfoot

Jackson Browne

those type of artists.

Everything thing e;se like the rock the metal side, the prog side etc. came from my uncle. dude's house is like a vinyl storage unit, lol

He also gave me my love of weird shit.

Zappa

Beefheart

Waits

Todd Rundgren

Mick

my dad is a huge Jackson Browne fan. I never really got into him that was another one he had to go see him without me, I think he went with my uncle.

I was lucky though my dad is music and sports both so I am very much his daughter!

Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 1

Sports by Huey was the first album I remember listening to. Dad liked Van Halen. My mom had these around me:

Simply Red - Picture Book

Heart self titled

John Mellencamp - Scarecrow

Honeydrippers EP

some Little Richard compilation

Bryan Adams - Reckless

Steve Winwood - Roll With It

My cousin who is about 8 years older than me got me into INXS and U2. He also had an R.E.M. Green poster in his bedroom and RHCP when Mother's Milk came out.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

Sounds like your dad and I have similar taste lol. As you’ve probably seen on here I am a huge Fish fan. And what’s actually quite funny and ironic is that I’ve been at my parents’ house for a few of the Fish on Fridays (holiday shows) so they’ve watched some of it with me and after he put out his final album Weltchmerz they became fans of that!!

I have met Fish twice, he is a really nice guy. He signed one of my Marillion records. I think I have seen Fish live 3 or 4 times since I became a fan.

• Like 1

My mother was never really into music (her mother apparently hated noise, and preferred ticking clocks or birdsongs), but my dad loved music. He was into opera and classical when I was a kid, so none of that really stuck, although I do love the symphonic quality in my rock and roll. When I hear Mozart's (Sr.) "Sleigh Ride" I always think of Christmas morning.

Sometime in my early teens my dad got (back) into the country and rockabilly of his youth, and of that stuff, I still love Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, and roots music like Uncle Dave Macon or the Carter Family or Jimmy Rodgers. Watching the first few episodes of Ken Burns's _Country Music_ with my dad was a special feeling I'll carry forever.

I will not, however, enjoy Slim Whitman.

• Like 3

God I'm going to age myself here.............Mom doesn't have a musical bone in her body. Dad however, was a huge fan of Swing music e.g. Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, et. al. I didn't like it when I was a pre-teen and a teen cuz it wasn't "rock & roll". However, as I got older and my tastes broadened I realized A) it was a precursor to rock in terms of the uptempo side though not the blues side of rock music and B) it was damned good music.
  • Like 5

Also how could i forget. it's never popular here. but my first love is musical theatre. thanks to Grandma too grew up on a steady diet of

Rodgers and Hammerstein

Rodgers and Hart

Frank Losser

Lerner and Lowe

Andrew lloyd Webber (make fun of him......but Jesus Christ Superstar is the shit and none of you wrote it, lol)

Sondheim (RIP maestro)

Musicals were in my blood way before ANYTHING else......i'm a theatre kid first, lol

Mick

• Like 2

You chirrun and that Rock and Roll music! First music I heard in the house was big band and crooners.

First records I remember was a Decca box set of 4 45 rpm singles of Christmas carols sung by Bing Crosby, including "White Christmas", which included then guitar virtuoso Eddie Condon, and a swinging version of "Jingle Bells", with backing vocals by the Andrews Sisters.

A lot of TV show singers and players-Nat King Cole, Jimmy Durante, Perry Como, Tony Bennett, Mitch Miller ( Sing Along with Mitch), etc. At first they listened to WKMH 1310, hokey '50's Country-Western, before switching to MOR (Middle of the Road) clear channel WJR 760, " the great voice of the Great Lakes" (which I listened to mainly because they also broadcast the Tigers, Lions, and U of M football). They didn't like rock and roll, and my dad might have felt like Billy James Hargis ( "Rock and roll musici is a Communistic conspiracy to bring the white man down to the level of the nigra").

My eldest sister, now 75, was musically neutral. My younger sister, 72, was very into the Beatles. I showed some interest in other Brit Invasion bands, most notably, The Dave Clark 5, The Animals, and The Kinks. But younger sister blew my doors off when she played two stunning albums for me-Fresh Cream and Are You Experienced. :dweez: :codger: :geddy:

• Like 2

My mom loved music, and the artists she loved that keep resonating for me are the Staley Brothers, Loretta Lynn, Tom T. Hall, Donna Fargo, the Beatles, and Johnny Cash.

So specifically it was a country and blue Grass Bonanza, Beatles aside, but she also had great respect and admiration for the talents of Bowie and any other consummate show Men.

• Like 1

Also how could i forget. it's never popular here. but my first love is musical theatre. thanks to Grandma too grew up on a steady diet of

Rodgers and Hammerstein

Rodgers and Hart

Frank Losser

Lerner and Lowe

Andrew lloyd Webber (make fun of him......but Jesus Christ Superstar is the shit and none of you wrote it, lol)

Sondheim (RIP maestro)

Musicals were in my blood way before ANYTHING else......i'm a theatre kid first, lol

Mick

I thought you were the theater person but I wasn’t sure .

I know I sound like I’m bragging, and I guess I am, but both of my parents got into community theater before I did because their friends did. So on any given day when I go to visit them, we will quote at least one show that we have been in. Annie, Chicago, Pippin, Guys and Dolls, etc.

and Jesus Christ Superstar is in my top 10 of everything.

And I own a healthy amount of soundtracks on vinyl myself but when I listen to them it has to be all I’m doing because I sing every single word!

• Like 1

Rodgers and Hammerstein

Rodgers and Hart

Frank Losser

Lerner and Lowe

Sondheim (RIP maestro)

Mick

I thought you were the theater person but I wasn’t sure .

I know I sound like I’m bragging, and I guess I am, but both of my parents got into community theater before I did because their friends did. So on any given day when I go to visit them, we will quote at least one show that we have been in. Annie, Chicago, Pippin, Guys and Dolls, etc.

and Jesus Christ Superstar is in my top 10 of everything.

And I own a healthy amount of soundtracks on vinyl myself but when I listen to them it has to be all I’m doing because I sing every single word!

i played a few roles in my life. not many just a hanful

Eddie/Dr scott in Rocky Horror

Tanardier in Les Mis

George In sunday in the Park (i'm most pround of this obviously)

than i was in a lot of talent shows in High school singing various songs from shows.

Mick

• Like 2

My mother was a wet rag when it came to music. Clueless. "How much for that doggie in the window" was her idea of a good tune.

My father all through the 70's and the 80's was stuck in his doo-wop period. Couldn't get past that to appreciate anything else, even other forms of rock music. Including Elvis, who was in his prime during the same years doo-wop was happening.

The one and only song I got from the drunken bastard, that I like, is Rock Around The Clock. By Bill Haley and the Comets. I still have the 45 from 1957 or whenever.

Edited by grep

When I was younger, I think some, and a little bit of music from some artists, bands, and groups my parents listen to I was introduced to, but I listened to most of the music from some of the artists, bands, and groups they are listening to. From my parents, the names of a couple, or few artists, bands, and groups, and their music I was introduced to are "Boney M.", and "ABBA". Edited by Derek19

Bupkis. I don`t recall my parents ever playing music when I was growing up. I do remember finding a box of old LPs in the attic and Rubber Soul was among them, but I couldn`t make it work by running a compass point around the grooves :huh:
  • Like 2