Do you own ALL the albums of your favourite bands?

treeduck

Albums you own  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own ALL or even any albums of your favourite bands?

• Yes I own everything, every album of my favourite bands
    • I own everything by a LOT of bands
    • No I just use Spotify (or equivalent)
    • I sold all my albums and now I just have 250,000 MP3s
    • I only own all the albums of my top 10 bands
    • I don't own all the albums of any band, but I have most albums by my favourite bands
    • I never owned albums, I just download and that's always been the case
    • I don't listen to music, I just like talking shit in TSON
    • I only listen to soundtracks when I'm watching Netflix
    • I'm just getting into buying albums

I own all of the Queen, Rush, and Muse studio albums, and have multiple live albums from each. There are probably a couple other bands I own all their studio albums as well but that's more by coincidence than intention. I have almost all of the Genesis studio albums, Calling All Stations being the only one I don't have. And I own every David Bowie studio album from Space Oddity through Let's Dance. I own nearly all the Van Halen studio albums, but that's one of those more coincidentally things. I mean, every Van Halen album I own is great, but there are some I could be convinced to let go of if I had to (Diver Down, Balance). I also own all of the MisterWives and White Reaper studio albums, but they only have three a piece so that's not very difficult. On the other hand, I still don't own Outlandos D'Amour from The Police, though I have the other four. I own every Yes album from The Yes Album through Union (minus a couple live albums, but including the mighty Yessongs), but I have no real intention of getting some of their latest output. I own all the King Crimson studio albums from ITCOTKC through Beat, and I have every intention of making that a full collection someday.

I collect a lot of music.

• Like 4

I have every studio record with these bands / artists (all on vinyl record, and lots of them I have multiple copies and pressings of):

Rush

Queen

Brian May (his solo records)

Led Zeppelin

The Firm

Ozzy Osbourne (I do have all Ozzy Black Sabbath and all Dio Black Sabbath, but not with any other singer that was in Black Sabbath, so do not count that)

The Beatles

The Runaways

The Law (only made one record)

4 Non Blondes (only made one record)

P!nk

Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 4

I used to, many-many moons ago.

Now I have a bunch of CD that collect dust but for example I don’t own every RUSH album on compact disc. Maybe 96%.

I stream music now. I buy songs or albums on iTunes or listen to XM or Amazon Music.

I can’t believe I once owned High ‘n Dry on vinyl, what was I thinking?

I used to, many-many moons ago.

Now I have a bunch of CD that collect dust but for example I don’t own every RUSH album on compact disc. Maybe 96%.

I stream music now. I buy songs or albums on iTunes or listen to XM or Amazon Music.

I can’t believe I once owned High ‘n Dry on vinyl, what was I thinking?

You were thinking it's a killer record that you'd love to own all nice and large enough to see the album art!

• Like 1

My husband and I used to have a pretty large album collection. At that time the water heater in our house was in a closet, leaked and flooded the whole place when we were away one weekend. The album covers got all wet and started to mold. :rage: :banghead: We used the insurance money to buy CDs of what we missed because it was the 90's. Only a few of my husband's Deep Purple Tetragrammaton records were saved!

I started to miss them a few years ago and have been slowly rebuilding. The sound of true analog on vinyl is so much better! At the same time as everyone else, so it's been a bit by bit hobby. :(

• Like 3

My husband and I used to have a pretty large album collection. At that time the water heater in our house was in a closet, leaked and flooded the whole place when we were away one weekend. The album covers got all wet and started to mold. :rage: :banghead: We used the insurance money to buy CDs of what we missed because it was the 90's. Only a few of my husband's Deep Purple Tetragrammaton records were saved!

I started to miss them a few years ago and have been slowly rebuilding. The sound of true analog on vinyl is so much better! At the same time as everyone else, so it's been a bit by bit hobby. :(

Absolute disaster! :o

• Like 1

And I don't why why I didn't think of this when I wrote the post above, but I do now own all of Led Zeppelin's studio albums. But I don't own any of their live albums. I owned The Song Remains The Same back when I was in high school. But even back then twenty six minutes of Dazed and Confused, fourteen minutes of Whole Lotta Love, and thirteen minutes of Moby Dick was just too much. And I tend to skip Whole Lotta Love and Moby Dick whenever I listen to Led Zeppelin II now.

But even back then twenty six minutes of Dazed and Confused, fourteen minutes of Whole Lotta Love, and thirteen minutes of Moby Dick was just too much.

I know all these words, but somehow this sentence just won't make sense for me . . .

• Like 1

I think of myself as a kind of completist, but I make allowances and give myself permission to be selective.

I own all of Rush's official albums, studio, live, and best of. And I own every live show I know of, although not every source for every date

I own all of Led Zeppelin's official albums, studio, live, and best of. And I own every live show I know of, although not every source for every date.

Ditto for Pink Floyd and The Rainmakers.

I own all of Jethro Tull up through Catfish Rising, including live, best, etc., but nothing after 1991.

Ditto that for Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica, and AC/DC; Genesis, too, but nothing after 1981.

For nearly every other band, it's hit or miss, although I "most" albums by Yes (nothing after Union), Megadeth, Anthrax, King's X (again nothing after 1992), The Beatles, The Drive-by Truckers, etc.

Sometime in the early '90s, about the time I started moving more frequently, keeping up with new releases just became sort of a chore, so while I have certainly gone back and filled in gaps, a perusal of my shelves or playlists would show a pronounced pre-Clinton era bias. iTunes certainly makes it easier to "own" things, but I don't really count that stuff, since I'm a "physical is real and digital is not" sort of analog guy.

My albums/45s got waterlogged during hurricane Floyd back in 1999. They were on the floor of my parent's basement when the sump pump stopped during a 7-day power outage.

I don't own all albums from my favorite bands. They do put of duds now and then but I still love them.

All of their stuff:

Beatles

Zep

Ozzy Sabbath

Rush

Doors

Eagles

Metallica

Jeff Healey (guitar stuff, not jazz trumpet stuff)

Steely Dan

SRV

Most of their stuff:

Ozzy solo

Creedence

Fogerty solo

Floyd

Allman Bros. Band

Robin Trower

Stones

ZZ Top

Left out acts that I have all of their albums but they only put out a few e.g. Cream, Hendrix, Don Henley solo

• Like 1

Not all of every band, but lots of my favorite bands.

Quite a few dupes in multiple formats. The Moody Blues first seven albums and Yes' early albums on both vinyl and CD.

The same with ELP, burned through two vinyl copies of WBMFTTSTNE before getting it on CD.

Detroit band dupes, of course-early Seger, Alice Cooper, Amboy Dukes/Nuge, and The Holy Grail, Kick Out the Jams.

A fair bit of duplication with Kraftwerk including cassette tapings of Der Mensch Machinen and Trans Europa Express in German with CD's of The Man Machine and Trans Europe Express in English.

Other duplicates include Jeff Beck, Andreas Vollenweider, Michael Hedges, The Who, and of course, Al DiMeola.

My albums/45s got waterlogged during hurricane Floyd back in 1999. They were on the floor of my parent's basement when the sump pump stopped during a 7-day power outage.

I don't own all albums from my favorite bands. They do put of duds now and then but I still love them.

You have my sincere sympathy! Been there, done that. Surprisingly, 2 copies of Frampton Comes Alive survived, of all things. :lol: Not a bad album but not one I need to hear much from again.

You have my sincere sympathy! Been there, done that. Surprisingly, 2 copies of Frampton Comes Alive survived, of all things. :lol: Not a bad album but not one I need to hear much from again.

It's funny you bring that album up. I've never owned a copy of that album because while I enjoyed it, I never needed to own it cuz everybody else I knew had a copy and played the shit out of it. I may be one of the few people of "our age" that never bought it.

• Like 1

It's funny you bring that album up. I've never owned a copy of that album because while I enjoyed it, I never needed to own it cuz everybody else I knew had a copy and played the shit out of it. I may be one of the few people of "our age" that never bought it.

I've never owned it either.

• Like 1