Pick your top five from this list of classic punk / alternative bands not named REM, U2, The Ramones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Blondie, etc...

Entre_Perpetuo

choose  

29 members have voted

1. 1. your favorite 5

• Fugazi
    • Minor Threat
    • Dead Kennedys
    • Sonic Youth
    • The Pixies
    • Minutemen
    • Dinosaur Jr.
    • Black Flag
    • Wire
    • Buzzcocks
    • Joy Division
    • New Order
    • The Replacements
    • Husker Du
    • The Smiths
    • The Cure
    • X
    • Television
    • Echo And The Bunnymen
    • The Jesus And Mary Chain
    • Cocteau Twins
    • Midnight Oil
    • Siouxsie And The Banshees
    • Bauhaus
    • Violent Femmes
    • Public Image Ltd.
    • The Stone Roses
    • Melvins
    • Gang Of Four
    • Mission Of Burma
    • The Fall
    • Social Distortion
    • The Cult
    • Pavement
    • Butthole Surfers
    • Big Black
    • Oingo Boingo
    • Killing Joke
    • Meat Puppets
    • Rites Of Spring

You missed a ton, but you know that.

(Pere Ubu, XTC, Etc...)

Every band there has made music I love.

I voted for several and still felt wrong for the omissions.

Excellent list

• Like 1

You did one hell of a job here. I have only one band that I wish was on that list. THE CHURCH! "Starfish" is a masterpiece. The song "Under The Milky Way" is one of my favorites. It's all the title of my movie that I still have to write out.

Thanks! I'll have to look up The Church. I'm not sure I've heard of them. Really trying to get into this stuff. Hoping to make some good record store runs in the nearish future.

Yes! Get the album "Starfish" or find a greatest hits. You will dig them.

The Unguarded Moment ftw
  • Like 1

FRANKENCHRIST! A MASTERPIECE! I have my album from 1986 when it came out! My high school buddies drove into SF and went to Rough Trade Records and we all bought an lp! Of course it features the poster PENIS LANDSCAPE by the great H R Giger!! My poster is still mint inside the jacket.

For those of you who don't know. A few weeks later the SF Police came into every record store and confiscated all the "Frankenchrist" albums and fuckking burned them.

The same HR Giger that did the cover of Brain Salad Surgery?

There was only one.

FRANKENCHRIST! A MASTERPIECE! I have my album from 1986 when it came out! My high school buddies drove into SF and went to Rough Trade Records and we all bought an lp! Of course it features the poster PENIS LANDSCAPE by the great H R Giger!! My poster is still mint inside the jacket.

For those of you who don't know. A few weeks later the SF Police came into every record store and confiscated all the "Frankenchrist" albums and fuckking burned them.

The same HR Giger that did the cover of Brain Salad Surgery?

That is correct!

He also did Debbie Harry's solo album KOO KOO which I LOVE!

Also DANZIG III

Dang, he's got a pretty eclectic set of artists he's worked with.

Bad brains

Fear

Dead Kennedys

Morrissey ( what a knucklehead )

The dickies

A few on your list here that aren't on mine!

Yeah there will have to be a round 2. Very surprised I forgot Bad Brains actually.

• Like 2

If there's a round two, can we please add Naked Raygun, Pere Ubu, XTC, Bad Religion, Adverts, Magazine, Madness---okay. To many to name
  • Like 4

Sisters of Mercy`s "Floodland" and "Vision Thing" are magnificent. They stopped making records in the early 90s due to a fight with Warner Bros; but they never stopped touring. They should be known by everyone, for "Dominion" and "Lucretia, My Reflection" and many more awesome songs.

Oh, and I love "Strangeways, Here We Come" just as much as The Smith`s "The Queen is Dead".

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 2

6 votes for The Cult and it seems I'm the only one that will admit voting for them. Too mainstream?

Great band, but they're much more of a straight ahead heavy rock band compared to most of the others, aren't they?
  • Like 1

6 votes for The Cult and it seems I'm the only one that will admit voting for them. Too mainstream?

I voted for them even though they might not fit on this list. Semi-off topic, Ian MacKaye who you may remember was in both Fugazi and Minor Threat among other bands has a newish band called Coricky which I like. They aren't punk by any means but still pretty good.

• Like 2

I've never heard any albums from anyone on this list. There's a number of them I've never heard of before.

Check out either Let It Be or Tim by The Replacements. They're basically just a really good rock and roll band with scruffy edge. Let It Be even has a Kiss cover!

TIM is a beast!! an absolute classic!
  • Like 1

I voted for them even though they might not fit on this list. Semi-off topic, Ian MacKaye who you may remember was in both Fugazi and Minor Threat among other bands has a newish band called Coricky which I like. They aren't punk by any means but still pretty good.

Ian is also in the Evens (just him and his wife who was in the Warmers).

Quieter than Coricky but excellent.

• Like 1

My 6 (i know only 5)

Cult

Jesus and Mary

Husker Du

Television

X

Replacements

Hüskers and Replacements, very different groups but from the same time and place.

Also possibly the best bands ever to come out of the USA. What a coincidence :)

Ian is also in the Evens (just him and his wife who was in the Warmers).

Quieter than Coricky but excellent.

I saw a Coricky album at the record store today. I almost bought it since I recognized the name from this thread, but I decided to get myself a copy of Fugazi Repeater for now instead. Certainly an album I needed to hear.

• Like 1

Great band, but they're much more of a straight ahead heavy rock band compared to most of the others, aren't they?

They seemed to appeal to post punkers and fans of GnR back then. She Sells Sanctuary has a post punk sound but Love Removal Machine sounds a lot like AC/DC.

• Like 1

Great list! The only one I was looking for that I didn't see was The Smithereens. I always liked A Girl Like You by them, but maybe they are too much straight rock? I kind of think of them as alt rock though.

Nice to see Television. Marquee Moon is an awesome album.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3