Asia Astra (1985) vs. Triumph Sport of Kings (1986)

treeduck

ASIA vs Triumph  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer?

• Asia - Astra
    • Triumph - The Sport of Kings

I'm actually doing a discography run-through of Asia right now and Astra is my next album. I'll get back to you on this tomorrow...

I love the ASIA catalog when Wetton came back into the band. Amazing underrated prog pop. My favorite from that era is "GRAVITAS."

There's a new box set out with 3 of the last 4 albums and a live disc.

The mid 80's and everyone has gone Linn drum crazy!

Great poll!

I LOVE ASIA ASTRA!!!!

I'm playing it now

It's very good! I don't like Alpha, so this is a cool surprise.

We have this in common too!

I love the debut. A Gem.

"Alpha" is good and I do love it but it's the weakest album of the three.

I'm so happy you dig "Astra." It's an underrated masterpiece.

I remember buying Alpha, on vinyl of course in 1983, and I really loved the artwork and the colours. I spent ages just looking at the cover!

Me too! It's an incredible cover!!

Aye!

The mid 80's and everyone has gone Linn drum crazy!

Great poll!

I LOVE ASIA ASTRA!!!!

I'm playing it now

It's very good! I don't like Alpha, so this is a cool surprise.

We have this in common too!

I love the debut. A Gem.

"Alpha" is good and I do love it but it's the weakest album of the three.

I'm so happy you dig "Astra." It's an underrated masterpiece.

Maybe it's time I did a deep dive into both these bands. I tried Triumph a while ago and thought it was all so very good but nothing stood out.

Dive Dive Dive! Get into them both!!! Some bands need more listens to grow as you know!!

Me and Savatage, who went from a band I really like to a full blown obsession!

Hahaha! Are you sure we aren't related? Even family can squabble too! Lol!!! I too am a SAVATAGE Addict!

Earl what do you think of the RUSH Chronicles compilation album?

And what do you think of a RUSH best of album which includes tracks like The Necromancer, Circumstances, The Twilight Zone and The Analog Kid?

I think "Chronicles" is a great start for someone who know nothing about RUSH. It's ok. Nothing great, although I did love the DVD when it came out with all of that old footage!!

I would love a "B SIDES RUSH COMP"

"Chronicles II: CYGNUS X-1"

• Like 1

I used to have THX sound on one of my laptops but I put windows 10 on it and the software got deleted by Microsoft!

That sucks! But yes!! Give that song a listen! Very cool!

And of course we all know that Lucas had THX !38 on a license plate in American Graffiti. Also of course in the title "THX-1138." Which I think was a reference to "The Body Electric." Also Han Solo says it in Star Wars.

There's a 70's sci-fi flick called THX with Robert Duvall and Donald Pleasence.

Wait what?? You know I'm a Donald Pleasance freak and a film completist. It's endless! I hope it's in print! I must watch it!

• Like 1

I used to have THX sound on one of my laptops but I put windows 10 on it and the software got deleted by Microsoft!

And of course we all know that Lucas had THX !38 on a license plate in American Graffiti. Also of course in the title "THX-1138." Which I think was a reference to "The Body Electric." Also Han Solo says it in Star Wars.

Wait what?? You know I'm a Donald Pleasance freak and a film completist. It's endless! I hope it's in print! I must watch it!

Yeah it was released in 1971. There's a lot of great Donald Pleaseance films out there. Did you ever see him in THE GREAT ESCAPE?? Not the prog metal album, the WWII flick with Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Garner and James Coburn!!

• Like 1

I'm an idiot. Nevermind. DUH! The 1971 classic. I had a brain fart. So out here Pat we have a public transportation system called BART. Bay Area Rapid Transit. When they were digging and completing the tunnels for the trains, before they laid down the tracks they let Lucas film in the tubes. That's what you see in the flick. Great movie.

• Like 1

Yeah it was released in 1971. There's a lot of great Donald Pleaseance films out there. Did you ever see him in THE GREAT ESCAPE?? Not the prog metal album, the WWII flick with Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Garner and James Coburn!!

See my last post. I goofed.

• Like 1

I'm an idiot. Nevermind. DUH! The 1971 classic. I had a brain fart. So out here Pat we have a public transportation system called BART. Bay Area Rapid Transit. When they were digging and completing the tunnels for the trains, before they laid down the tracks they let Lucas film in the tubes. That's what you see in the flick. Great movie.

That's cool!

What about the Donald Pleasence film called THE FREAKMAKER, AKA The MUTATIONS??

• Like 1

I'm actually doing a discography run-through of Asia right now and Astra is my next album. I'll get back to you on this tomorrow...

I love the ASIA catalog when Wetton came back into the band. Amazing underrated prog pop. My favorite from that era is "GRAVITAS."

only music i've heard past Alpha is a few songs from the "Silent Nation" record which I liked (I was bored and it recommended it to me on YouTube), and the Gravitas title track which is also very good (ditto). I'll probably listen to Rare too, despite it being an instrumental album with only Downes and Payne and really shouldn't be an Asia album.

• Like 1

I do consider Sport Of Kings to be the worst Triumph album (sometimes the debut takes that spot), but it's still a decent record. (excluding Edge Of Excess since that really shouldnt be under the Triumph name), but I'm not gonna get my hopes up for Astra because I don't want to be underwhelmed like I was with Alpha.
  • Like 2

only music i've heard past Alpha is a few songs from the "Silent Nation" record which I liked (I was bored and it recommended it to me on YouTube), and the Gravitas title track which is also very good (ditto). I'll probably listen to Rare too, despite it being an instrumental album with only Downes and Payne and really shouldn't be an Asia album.

Silent Nation features Guthrie "The Governor" Govan on guitars I enjoy the album!

• Like 1

That's cool!

I don't know that movie Pat. I love "Phenomena."

• Like 1

I remember getting Aqua featuring Al Pitrelli. That was on vinyl too, and has great artwork.

The Orca flying in space. Love the cover too. Music was just ok. But I bought them all.

Were you not impressed with Big Al Pitrelli??

That's cool!

You need to find it on bluray Earl!

• Like 1

I remember getting Aqua featuring Al Pitrelli. That was on vinyl too, and has great artwork.

The Orca flying in space. Love the cover too. Music was just ok. But I bought them all.

He's good buddy, I just didn't love the music as a whole.

I found "The Freakmaker!" Limited Bluray with slipcover! Pumped! I work fast Pat. No time to fuckk around.

• Like 1

That's cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQ22R21Ux0

This is right up my alley! Sweet!

• Like 1

Silent Nation features Guthrie "The Governor" Govan on guitars I enjoy the album!

of the few songs I heard, "Gone Too Far" has quickly become a favorite of mine, he has a killer solo on that song.

• Like 1

He's good buddy, I just didn't love the music as a whole.

I found "The Freakmaker!" Limited Bluray with slipcover! Pumped! I work fast Pat. No time to fuckk around.

It's a solid horror flick, and DP makes it a classic!

of the few songs I heard, "Gone Too Far" has quickly become a favorite of mine, he has a killer solo on that song.

Yeah Guthrie is a BEAST!

• Like 2

That's cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQ22R21Ux0

This is right up my alley! Sweet!

It's an under the radar horror classic!

• Like 1