"Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame (I use the phrase R&R loosely)

Laurabw

I love seeing Beck on this list - he's been making absolutely stellar music for years now.

I am sorry. Beck is a joke. Thank Goodness Jeff Beck got in the Hall back in 2009!

How is Beck a joke? If you had posted "I can't stand Beck's music" I wouldn't comment...but he's a songwriter, producer and multi-instrumentalist who works across multiple genres, is generally critically acclaimed, with a few of his records making their way onto many publications best of year lists. For my (subjective) money, Sea Change and Morning Phase are two of the most beautiful pop albums ever made. Why is he joke to you?

• Like 1

Pat Benatar is not already in, but Madonna is???

Madonna's great and all, but she's just not as cool as Pat Benatar.

It might be because Madonna is perceived to be a trailblazer regarding image and attitude. She benefited from and took advantage of MTV and music videos and became a cultural icon. Pat Benatar belted out a couple of good songs for several years and dropped out of the public's eye when Madonna flooded movies, music, TV, concerts, magazines...

Pat still has her voice. Mostly. Saw her acoustic show with her hubby. She can still belt them out.

Is she RRHOF worthy? I dunno. I wouldn't call her overly influential. But that voice she had in 1981. My god.

Promises In The Dark........insane.

• Like 1

People must have amnesia and forget this discussion that takes place every single year about this time. So and so isn't rock and roll. So and so is in but so and so isn't. Etcetera etcetera.

I mean… that’s the entire point of the RRHOF, to make people have those exact conversations. It’s part of why they suck so much, but I do understand that’s part of their basic marketing strategy, to just get people talking regardless if it’s positive or not.

• Like 1

People must have amnesia and forget this discussion that takes place every single year about this time. So and so isn't rock and roll. So and so is in but so and so isn't. Etcetera etcetera.

I mean… that’s the entire point of the RRHOF, to make people have those exact conversations. It’s part of why they suck so much, but I do understand that’s part of their basic marketing strategy, to just get people talking regardless if it’s positive or not.

Supposedly any publicity is good publicity.

Supposedly any publicity is good publicity.

Any publicity is good for clicks and immediate income. Generally you also need enough good publicity so that people will ever want to hear from you again, which the RRHOF probably scrapes by on by allowing people to vote and for the better moments that sometimes come out of the induction speeches.

Pat Benatar is not already in, but Madonna is???

Madonna's great and all, but she's just not as cool as Pat Benatar.

It might be because Madonna is perceived to be a trailblazer regarding image and attitude. She benefited from and took advantage of MTV and music videos and became a cultural icon. Pat Benatar belted out a couple of good songs for several years and dropped out of the public's eye when Madonna flooded movies, music, TV, concerts, magazines...

Pat still has her voice. Mostly. Saw her acoustic show with her hubby. She can still belt them out.

Is she RRHOF worthy? I dunno. I wouldn't call her overly influential. But that voice she had in 1981. My god.

She's a great singer who's having a bit of a renaissance. Good songs sung well usually have some staying power. Is she objectively a "Hall of Famer"? Probably not. The doors she walked through were already open...

Opened by whom? Was there a hard rock female solo performer before Benatar? I guess you could say rock groups that had female singers paved the way, but a group is not a solo artist.

Pat Benatar was not really a solo artist. Her husband crafted and performed the songs for/with her.

But I do think her voice and stage command is worthy of recognition by the hall. She had a lot of hits as well

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

A little birdie told me this lady is being inducted into the RRHOF on November 5.       Congratulations Pat -- FINALLY!!

• Like 2