"Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame (I use the phrase R&R loosely)

Laurabw

Well here’s my immediate 2 cents:

Rule 1: the rock hall sucks

Rule 2: if they make a good induction that they could’ve made more than two years ago, that doesn’t make them suck any less

Rule 3: understand that it’s not all rock and roll anymore, but they really ought to change the name because of that, but they don’t because branding, which is kinda dumb, which makes sense because they suck

All that out of the way, here’s the rant: I think just about every artist up for nomination this year deserves to be in. How is Kate Bush not in yet? How is Dolly Parton not in yet? Obligatory how is Judas Priest not in yet? Personally I’d ditch The Eurythmics and I don’t really know anything about Fela Kuti. The only possible explanation for how Pat Benatar isn’t in yet is sexism. She’s as rock and roll as they come, had like a dozen significant hits (at least and handful of which are all time classics, practically rock standards), get’s played every day on rock radio around the world to this day, and I find it hard to believe with those stats she hasn’t been a standard influence of most pop/rock singer songwriters since her debut. Did I mention she’s in the first few tracks of Guitar Hero? Everyone my age knows and loves Hit Me With Your Best Shot. They should just skip voting and induct everyone they’ve nominated. It’s not like they can’t just livestream a multi-hour long induction ceremony to cut venue and seating costs and blame it on covid protocol.

• Like 1

Nice to see DD…finally get recognized.

That’s a rather sexist nickname for Dolly Parton, isn’t it?

;)

EzCakCK.gif

Got nothing against her. Rhinestone is the best "so bad it's good" comedy I've seen. Unintentionally funny comedy compared to unintentionally funny drama is hard to do but her and Stallone pulled it off.

"I really do have this big organ!" :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y53lIkq1jo

Rage against the machine made one really incredible record than faded fast in my eyes.

One album wonder.

I saw Rage open up for Pearl Jam on the "Ten" Tour at the Warfield in SF.

After the gig, LaDouche jumped into the crowd went to the back and started handing out demo tapes. My buddy got one.

• Like 1

1643831827[/url]' post='4988010']

Nice to see DD…finally get recognized.

That’s a rather sexist nickname for Dolly Parton, isn’t it?

;)

My inner Beavis and butthead approve of this post.

Dolly is just an awesome person. She is super charitable and her best one imo is that she gives books to children. Check it out

https://imaginationlibrary.com/

• Like 1

Pat Benatar is not already in, but Madonna is???

Madonna's great and all, but she's just not as cool as Pat Benatar.

• Like 1

It might be because Madonna is perceived to be a trailblazer regarding image and attitude. She benefited from and took advantage of MTV and music videos and became a cultural icon. Pat Benatar belted out a couple of good songs for several years and dropped out of the public's eye when Madonna flooded movies, music, TV, concerts, magazines...

• Like 1

It might be because Madonna is perceived to be a trailblazer regarding image and attitude. She benefited from and took advantage of MTV and music videos and became a cultural icon. Pat Benatar belted out a couple of good songs for several years and dropped out of the public's eye when Madonna flooded movies, music, TV, concerts, magazines...

Pat still has her voice. Mostly. Saw her acoustic show with her hubby. She can still belt them out.

Is she RRHOF worthy? I dunno. I wouldn't call her overly influential. But that voice she had in 1981. My god.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Oh I totally understand why Madonna would be in over Pat, I just think popular opinion has got this one backwards!

Pat still has her voice. Mostly. Saw her acoustic show with her hubby. She can still belt them out.

Is she RRHOF worthy? I dunno. I wouldn't call her overly influential. But that voice she had in 1981. My god.

She's a great singer who's having a bit of a renaissance. Good songs sung well usually have some staying power. Is she objectively a "Hall of Famer"? Probably not. The doors she walked through were already open...

• Like 1

She's a great singer who's having a bit of a renaissance. Good songs sung well usually have some staying power. Is she objectively a "Hall of Famer"? Probably not. The doors she walked through were already open...

Opened by whom? Was there a hard rock female solo performer before Benatar? I guess you could say rock groups that had female singers paved the way, but a group is not a solo artist.

Opened by whom? Was there a hard rock female solo performer before Benatar? I guess you could say rock groups that had female singers paved the way, but a group is not a solo artist.

What's the difference of a singer being solo or being in a band? A singer is a singer. Pat Benatar was hardly an innovator or trailblazer. She is a very good singer who sang some popular songs. Ann Wilson, Janis Joplin, Chrissie Hynde, Grace Slick, Tina Turner, Ronnie Spector... and pretty much every other female singer before Pat Benator opened the door for Pat Benatar. With that said, Pat Benatar may very well be a better singer than all the female singers who came before her, but she certainly didn't blaze and new trails.

What's the difference of a singer being solo or being in a band? A singer is a singer. Pat Benatar was hardly an innovator or trailblazer. She is a very good singer who sang some popular songs. Ann Wilson, Janis Joplin, Chrissie Hynde, Grace Slick, Tina Turner, Ronnie Spector... and pretty much every other female singer before Pat Benator opened the door for Pat Benatar. With that said, Pat Benatar may very well be a better singer than all the female singers who came before her, but she certainly didn't blaze and new trails.

Well we disagree. Solo is different from being part of a band. No one before Benatar sang hard rock solo.

Appreciate that you mentioned Grace Slick. She doesn't get mentioned as a great female singer as often as I believe she should.

• Like 1