"Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame (I use the phrase R&R loosely)

Laurabw

The usual nonsense with the nominees with a few actual "rock and roll" artists. From Billboard:

Indie auteur Beck, rock hitmaker Pat Benatar, art rocker Kate Bush, new wave oddballs Devo, new wave chart-toppers Duran Duran, hip-hop heavyweight Eminem, synth-pop duo Eurythmics, heavy metal fixtures Judas Priest, Afrobeat pioneer Fela Kuti, political rock outfit MC5, proto-punks New York Dolls, country legend Dolly Parton, rap-metal outfit Rage Against the Machine, R&B hitmaker Lionel Richie, pop singer-songwriter Carly Simon, alt hip-hop icons A Tribe Called Quest and pop vocal pro Dionne Warwick are all nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2022.

• Like 2

I guess I'm just hung up on semantics, as I am every year. Yes, Dolly is quite accomplished. But country/pop. Not rock and roll. Same with Lionel Richie. Pop. Not rock. Not that this is news, of course, it's been this way forever. But then call it what it is, Music Hall of Fame.
  • Like 1

I guess I'm just hung up on semantics, as I am every year. Yes, Dolly is quite accomplished. But country/pop. Not rock and roll. Same with Lionel Richie. Pop. Not rock. Not that this is news, of course, it's been this way forever. But then call it what it is, Music Hall of Fame.

I always thought "Rock and Roll" to be an all inclusive term for popular music. All these genres bounce off each other and influence each other. Little Richard and Woody Guthrie gave us Bob Dylan.

• Like 3

Shouldn't Dolly already be in there? Yeah, her genre is country but she was a huge crossover star and they already have non rock artists inducted.

That is the narrative most use while announcing the news today of her nomination.

Duran x 2

Pat Benatar!

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 1

Dionne Warwick should be inducted only if her entire "Psychic Friends Network" staff gets to come with her.
  • Like 1

I could make a case for the ones below. Not saying I think they should all get in, but it could be argued...

Pat Benatar, Duran Duran, Eminem, Judas Priest, MC5, New York Dolls, Dolly Parton, Carly Simon

I hope Priest gets in just on principal alone. And I LOVE Carly Simon, but I still see a hard divide between Pop and Rock.

Pat Benatar should def go in.

• Like 3

I hope Priest gets in just on principal alone. And I LOVE Carly Simon, but I still see a hard divide between Pop and Rock.

Judas Priest and Iron Maiden should have been inducted years ago. They both defined and popularized and entire genre and musical culture.

• Like 6

I could make a case for the ones below. Not saying I think they should all get in, but it could be argued...

Pat Benatar, Duran Duran, Eminem, Judas Priest, MC5, New York Dolls, Dolly Parton, Carly Simon

Don't underestimate Devo. They broke down doors many artists later walked through. Musically and visually important and innovative with great tunes to boot.

• Like 3

Can they please just rename the damn place the:

Music Hall Of Fame.

It’s insulting to Rock Music fans.

Many non rock artists are great talents.....so make the Hall of Fame what it has become.....a Music Hall of Fame.

Make sense?

• Like 6

Dolly`s awesome so I`m okay with that, but logically, wouldn`t there be a hip hop or rap HoF for A Tribe Called Quest? If they get in the R&R one, shouldn`t Rush get into the rap one for Roll the Bones? :huh:

Dionne Warwick should be inducted only if her entire "Psychic Friends Network" staff gets to come with her.

They already know the results of the vote....

• Like 4

Beck - No

Pat Benatar - hell yes

Kate Bush - no

DEVO - yes

Duran Duran - no

Eminem - yes

Eurythmics - no

Judas Priest - hell yes

Fela Kuti - yes

MC5 - yes

New York Dolls - yes

Dolly Parton - yes

Rage Against the Machine - yes

Lionel Richie - yes

Carly Simon - no

•  

A Tribe Called Quest - yes

Dionne Warwick - yes

Here’s my top ten choices...

Pat Benatar

Kate Bush

Devo

Duran Duran

Eurythmics

Judas Priest

MC5

New York Dolls

Dolly Parton

Carly Simon

(It is criminal that Devo, Judas Priest, MC5 & New York Dolls aren’t in already)

Edited by The Cat 3
  • Like 2

Someone has a stiffie for that Fela Kuti dude. Outside of Afrobeat listeners I wonder how many people have even heard of him?

I think part of the point of nominated Fela Kuti isn't about who heard of him but who heard music influenced and inspired by him. Talking Heads and Peter Gabriel are just two major artists who are directly influenced by him. Paul McCartney also name checked him in the past. He is incredibly influential.

• Like 1

Don't underestimate Devo. They broke down doors many artists later walked through. Musically and visually important and innovative with great tunes to boot.

Agreed.

Someone has a stiffie for that Fela Kuti dude. Outside of Afrobeat listeners I wonder how many people have even heard of him?

It's good stuff. Not a huge fan but have heard some. Kind of like Africa's James brown.

I imagine he is included for his influence.

Stoked for devo.true originals.

• Like 1

Judas Priest and Iron Maiden should have been inducted years ago. They both defined and popularized and entire genre and musical culture.

100%. It's the leftover of Jann Wenner's distaste of metal and prog. Fukk him. When the band that basically invented, or at the very least popularized metal, Black Sabbath, is left out for 10 years after they become eligible you know the process is a joke.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 3