Sean Payton

Saint NIck

Perhaps many RUSH-fans on here who follow the NFL may be aware that New Orleans Saints Head Coach Sean Payton announced his retirement this afternoon.

As a life-long Saints' fan, and season-ticket holder since 1999, from 2006 to 2021 have been/will always be known as our Glory Years. When Coach Payton arrived here in January of 2006, we had no idea what to expect; what was to come.

What was to come were amongst the best days of our lives as for Saints fans.

For those unfamiliar with the Saints: started playing in 1967, and wouldn't have a winning season until 1987: play-offs in '87, '90, '91 & '92.

We wouldn't win a play-off game until 2000.

Coach Jim Mora was the very best; until he 'burnt out' and resigned in mid-season 1996; we'd finish 3 & 13.

Owner Tom Benson hired Mike Ditka, and it was absolutely ridiculous: 6 & 10, 6 & 10, and 3 & 13; that was in '99 when Ditka traded the whole draft class to Washington to pick Ricky Williams; an absolute bust.

Coach Jim Haslett came in, and his one highlight was the play-off win.

Meanwhile all that time, a young offensive, assistant coach was working in New York, I think Philly and Dallas for sure.

Mr. Benson hires Coach Payton and we'd make the play-offs in 2006, '10, '11, '13, and from 2017 - 2020.

Oh, we'd win the SUPER BOWL in 2009.!

To my RUSH friends who are Dallas Cowboy fans, I'm thinking, and if I were a betting man, I'm thinking Jerry Jones wants Sean Payton.

Jerry basically gets anything he wants.

We'll see.!?

Oh, and just so y'all know; all those who call the Saints the 'Aints; that was only one season in 1980 when we only beat the Jets in an end-of-the-game New York snowstorm. There have been a few other teams that only won once: Dallas, Detroit, Carolina, New England, Cleveland, New York Jets and maybe more.

THANKS SO MUCH COACH PAYTON !!!

• Like 2

I think he is still under contract with the Saints though right? And his contract freezes while he takes time off. I bet some how he ends up in Dallas, but it may take some sort of a trade.
  • Like 1

I think he is still under contract with the Saints though right? And his contract freezes while he takes time off. I bet some how he ends up in Dallas, but it may take some sort of a trade.

Yes...the Cowboys would need to trade for him since I believe he has 3 years left on his deal. I don't think he'd be enough of a "yes man" to appease Jerry Jones though.

As an Eagles fan, I always considered Payton an a-hole. He held a particular grudge against the Eagles for some reason and we all know about the bounty issues.

I certainly won't miss the cameras zooming in on his pompous, self-important, "I am a football genius!" face.

He's no better than Mike McCarthy. He has one Super Bowl victory and many early exits, because he couldn't build and keep a strong team around his star QB.