What should the NFL overtime rule be, in your opinion?

laughedatbytime

Ot  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which design do you prefer for the postseason

• Current NFL
    • NFL prior to 2010 (game can end on 1st possession with an FG)
    • College rule (1st OT get ball on 25, run regular series, 2nd must go for 2, dueling 2 PT conversion s thereafter
    • Ten minute periods played out, then sudden death
    • Fifteen minute periods played out, the sudden death
    • "Sealed" bid...each team bids to see who gets ball, bidder choosing farther from goal line gets the ball), sudden death
    • Open bidding (alternating bids, otherwise operates as above)
    • #6 but with first team to 4+ pts wins
    • #7 but with first team to 4+ pts wins
    • Texas HS rule from the 80s (IIRC), team that crossed midfield the most declared the victor
    • Other, please describe below
    • Old college rule, alternative getting ball on 25 till there's a winner
  2. 2. How should the rule work in the regular season?

• same as playoffs (list choice in post)
    • Tie at end of regulation

I dunno; I like the college system. Each team gets the ball, increasing level of difficulty, chances for more scoring, more tension, etc. The 25 yard line might be a little close for the pros; maybe the 50?

We should definitely hope for something convoluted with lots of math, like first downs + expected yards after catch (actual yards after catch average)/QBR = overtime points. :outtahere:

• Like 1

Coin toss,

1st possession if score (3 or 7), other team gets to receive kick and gets a drive to try and score.

After that - each team gets one possession until one of them at the end of 1-2 wins.

And they go 15 minutes, with a water break if need be for 2OT, 3OT

I don't care about how many plays have to be run, man up. I also don't wan't to skip the kickoff thats part of the game.

I also dont care about historical numbers of wins or losses w coin toss because the team that loses it has every chance to even up or beat the team that wins it with gameplay.

Coin toss,

1st possession if score (3 or 7), other team gets to receive kick and gets a drive to try and score.

After that - each team gets one possession until one of them at the end of 1-2 wins.

And they go 15 minutes, with a water break if need be for 2OT, 3OT

I don't care about how many plays have to be run, man up. I also don't wan't to skip the kickoff thats part of the game.

I also dont care about historical numbers of wins or losses w coin toss because the team that loses it has every chance to even up or beat the team that wins it with gameplay.

Edit - so its still "sorta" sudden death... just in a James Bond you can get out of it way...

Parallel to baseball extra innings. Play 15 minute quarters until someone has a winning score at the end of the quarter.

I don't care anymore, lmao. It's someone else's problem now. I'm gonna turn the TV volume down, turn the music up, sit back and laugh. My team is the San Diego Orphans, er Los Angeles Chargers fwiw. The NFL thrives on controversy! They can't even stop themselves.

Leave it alone. You leave a team time to tie you, and can't defend well enough to let them tie you and score a TD in OT, tough s--t. Same for regular season.

Folks posting that either team didn't play defense down the stretch must have watched a different game. Mahomes and Allen made some great plays under duress, that two-point conversion by Josh being a prime example.
  • Like 3

I don't care anymore, lmao. It's someone else's problem now. I'm gonna turn the TV volume down, turn the music up, sit back and laugh. My team is the San Diego Orphans, er Los Angeles Chargers fwiw. The NFL thrives on controversy! They can't even stop themselves.

I was just glad that the refs seemed to stay out of the way this week in regards to helping determine the outcome of the games. Wild card weekend was a different story.

As far as being a Chargers fan, I think you'll have a lot to look forward to in the coming years.

Edited by Relayer2112
  • Like 1

Folks posting that either team didn't play defense down the stretch must have watched a different game. Mahomes and Allen made some great plays under duress, that two-point conversion by Josh being a prime example.

It does seem that an elite QB will trump an elite defense at least 90% of the time. In the case of the Bills, they needed to do something to put more pressure on Mahomes to get rid of the ball. He had way too much time all day and an elite QB will always succeed given that much time.

You can't normally blitz an elite QB, but the Bills should have done that with 13 seconds left if only to force Mahomes to throw before his receivers were 20 yards down the field.

True but the blown coverage on Kelce was bad. I heard from one of those talking heads (Phil Sims?) that part of that was a blown blitz...

But thats part of the game. To your point a great defense isnt great every single play.

• Like 1

It does seem that an elite QB will trump an elite defense at least 90% of the time. In the case of the Bills, they needed to do something to put more pressure on Mahomes to get rid of the ball. He had way too much time all day and an elite QB will always succeed given that much time.

You can't normally blitz an elite QB, but the Bills should have done that with 13 seconds left if only to force Mahomes to throw before his receivers were 20 yards down the field.

Or sprint for 20 yards, which would set up the pass he then made to Kelce. The key was that the Bills were facing an offense loaded with weapons with three timeouts. "Why guards the sidelines?" analysts are asking. But hadn't they just been burned in regulation by Hill going all the way along the sideline? "Play them tighter" others have said. Of course then you risk getting flagged for PI.

Glad I didn't have to make those coaching calls.

• Like 1

True but the blown coverage on Kelce was bad. I heard from one of those talking heads (Phil Sims?) that part of that was a blown blitz...

But thats part of the game. To your point a great defense isnt great every single play.

On the prior play I believe Kelce noticed they were guarding the sides and tipped Mahomes off that he'd change his route accordingly. Defense should read it, I suppose, but that's easy to say.

I do think the defensive bottom line would be anyone but Hill or Kelce. That's a fair criticism.

• Like 1

Leave it alone. You leave a team time to tie you, and can't defend well enough to let them tie you and score a TD in OT, tough s--t. Same for regular season.

Field goal Shoot Out! I'm tellin ya the fans would love it! :lol:

Oh god I hate shootouts.... :)

• Like 1

I'm generally opposed to awarding a "win" when one team does not defeat the other in competition. Regular season games really should have no overtime.
  • Like 2

I'm generally opposed to awarding a "win" when one team does not defeat the other in competition. Regular season games really should have no overtime.

Extra Innings have entered the chat

Yes. Its a team sport. Win or lose as a team. That;; take too long? F-ck you, be a man.

• Like 1

Team A gets ball. Either scores, punts, turns it over

Team B gets the ball. Either scores, punts, turns it over

Check to see if game still tied. If not, game over. If still tied, repeat this process

Just like baseball.

It is so damn easy....

• Like 2

Yes. Its a team sport. Win or lose as a team. That;; take too long? F-ck you, be a man.

Exactly. I see this s--t all the time in MMA fights that go the distance and place the decision in the hands of 3 judges. The potential for a fighter to get screwed is gigantic, and it happens, turning one person or another and/or their fans into whiny c--ts. Beat the opponent's ass in the cage or forget about it.
  • Like 1

Team A gets ball. Either scores, punts, turns it over

Team B gets the ball. Either scores, punts, turns it over

Check to see if game still tied. If not, game over. If still tied, repeat this process

Just like baseball.

It is so damn easy....

If not the way its done now, this would be fine. Still a "shoot out" but with the real game.