RIP Islanders great Clark Gillies, 67

laughedatbytime

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/clark-gillies-passes-away/c-330036716

:rose:

The New York Islanders are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of legendary power-forward and Hockey Hall of Fame member Clark Gillies.

"The entire Islanders community is devastated by the loss of Clark Gillies," Islanders President and General Manager Lou Lamoriello said. "He epitomized what it means to be a New York Islander. The pride he felt wearing the Islanders sweater on the ice was evident by his willingness to do anything to win. Off the ice, he was just as big of a presence, always taking the time to give back to the local community. The New York Islanders have four Stanley Cups because of the sacrifices he and the members of those dynasty teams made for the franchise. On behalf of the entire organization, we send our deepest condolences to the entire Gillies family."

Gillies, 67, a native of Moose Jaw, SK, was a member of the Islanders from 1974-75 through 1985-86. He was selected by the Islanders in the first round (4th overall) of the 1974 NHL Entry Draft. As a member of the Islanders, Gillies played in 872 games (fifth all-time in franchise history), scoring 304 goals (fourth all-time in franchise history) and 359 assists (fifth all-time in franchise history) for 663 points (fourth all-time in franchise history). He played in 159 playoff games for the Islanders, scoring 47 goals and 46 assists for 93 points. Gillies was one of 17 Islanders players that won four straight Stanley Cups Championships from 1980-1983. He also was a member of the group that set the NHL record of 19 straight playoff series wins, a mark that still stands today.

He was inducted into the NHL Hall of Fame in 2002. Gillies represented the Islanders at the 1978 NHL All-Star Game and was named to the NHL First All-Star Team in 1978 and 1979. Gillies had his number 9 retired on December 7, 1996 and his banner now hangs in UBS Arena.

Gillies was not only a giant on the ice, but off it in the Long Island community. He began The Clark Gillies Foundation, a non-profit corporation developed to help children who are physically, developmentally and/or financially challenged. The goal of the foundation is to improve the quality of life with 100% of the proceeds going straight to people in need.

The Huntington Hospital Pediatric Unit has been named after Clark and his foundation, which raised one million dollars to help fund the construction of the unit. The Foundation continues their association with Huntington Hospital after they created Brianna's Cub room within the Clark Gillies Pediatric Unit and by creating The Clark Gillies Pediatric Emergency Room which is staffed and equipped specifically for children.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this, LABT.

Just got done watching tonight's Isles/Coyotes game and the news broke just as the players were leaving the ice at the end of the game. That's when the team found out as well. Gillies was still very active in the community and with the team, and hearing the players and studio host get choked up talking about him says a lot about what kind of guy he was.

• Like 2

I used to go to the Regina Pats games at Exhibition (Cow Barn) Stadium in Regina. He Was a gentle giant but a beast on the ice. The Pats won the 1974 Memorial Cup with him and I saw them play the Flin Flin Bombers who were led by Bobby Clarke, my favorite hockey player ... on ice anyways.

R.I.P. Clark

• Like 2

Fk! I remember watching him play during the Islander playoff run, the man was a workhouse, and definitely not someone you'd want to get ino a scrum with.

RIP, Jethro (Clark's nickname, after Jethro Bodean Clampett).

• Like 1

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. I remember him, and knew what player he was. When he was in the lineup playing hockey, I watched some games, too. He will be missed, and remembered. My condolences, and sympathies to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Clark.

Edited by Derek19