Who has NEVER bought a deluxe edition (or equivalent) of an album in their lives?

treeduck

Who has NEVER bought a deluxe edition (or equivalent) of an album in their lives?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who has NEVER bought a deluxe edition (or equivalent) of an album in their lives?

• I never have. It makes me happy that I never allowed myself to be blatantly swindled by multi millionaire bands, and I feel superior to you who have.
    • Only RUSH stuff
    • I did buy one once, I use it as doorstop nowadays, so I'm getting my moneys worth
    • I have but only for my favourite (Top 5, top 10) bands
    • I've bought dozens
    • I've bought hundreds!
    • I've bought millions!
    • My name is EARL, you know the rest. I bought JAPAN!!
    • My name is Tony R, I only bought the cream of the crop of prog outfits and hard rock legends. No crap in my collection
    • My name is Jonathan Blaze, I'm too tight to buy actual albums I beam the music into my mind using a Reed Richards invention I borrowed
    • My name is Zepphead, I even bought all the merch from my local pub band and I hate them!
    • My name is THE CAT, I only buy what is cool, and I know what is cool...
    • My name is 73 and I haven't even bought a RUSH album yet! I'm too lazy to click the order button on amazon
    • My name is Becky Blueschica, I've bought everything of Lifeson's. I even stole his dirty laundry and swallowed his filthy underpants! And I loved it!
    • My name is MICK, I only buy things that are signed MICK... Mick

I've never bought special editions that have 'stuff' included. Extra books, posters, figurines, etc.

Have bought some deluxe sets that have extra discs, DVD's or vinyl.

Pretty much only for Rush, DT, and Metallica. I love a lot of other bands, but don't care enough to buy anything extra. Maybe if the guys from Tiles and Riverside did something ambitious I'd buy, just to support them. When YYNOT gets to that stage, they'll be part of the club too.

Something like a deluxe edition of the new PT coming out, or Envy of None.... I'll be looking for the best possible CD editions. To rip and then put on my shelf with the rest of the library.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Something like a deluxe edition of the new PT coming out, or Envy of None.... I'll be looking for the best possible CD editions. To rip and then put on my shelf with the rest of the library.

The In Absentia deluxe from a couple years ago is good, and fairly cheap. The surround wasn't bad in the original DTS, so for me the alt versions and in progress versions of the songs, as well as a couple that didn't make the record, is the true worth in that particular set.

My price point is $100 or less. I mostly buy them for surround mixes that are bundled, and only sometimes distributed separately. Exception is SW's Hand Cannot Erase, which is a true piece of art with the book that I rather enjoy.

There has to be something significant about the release for me to spend more than $20 on new/re-released music.

Edited by stoopid

i bought a few because like y2112 said it's kinda unavoidable.......but i don't play the bonus tracks on em much at all. i'm really not a bonus song kinda guy

like......i dunno. b-sides are fine but then like........here's a bunch of songs that wasn't good enough for the record first go round....oh and here's some demos of me coming up with the main hook of a song based off a series of well timed farts.

i'll pass, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Streamed many but bought none physically. A couple I wouldn't mind owning are Wildflowers by Petty and Aeroplane Flies High by Smashing Pumpkins. It's not quite "deluxe" but I have the combo of Ten and Ten Redux by Pearl Jam on vinyl.

Well mask-up and get out there and buy them! And send some other albums to your TRF pals. Send some Van Halen to EARL he needs as many copies as possible, he's making a Raiders display made from Van Halen I and II booklets!

Still waiting for my favorite Hagar album to be reissued on vinyl, the F word. Come on, Warner! I've got old pressings of 5150 and OU812 even though they haven't been reissued compared to the DLR era. The vinyl doesn't include Apolitical Blues.

Edited by invisible airwave

Streamed many but bought none physically. A couple I wouldn't mind owning are Wildflowers by Petty and Aeroplane Flies High by Smashing Pumpkins. It's not quite "deluxe" but I have the combo of Ten and Ten Redux by Pearl Jam on vinyl.

Well mask-up and get out there and buy them! And send some other albums to your TRF pals. Send some Van Halen to EARL he needs as many copies as possible, he's making a Raiders display made from Van Halen I and II booklets!

Still waiting for my favorite Hagar album to be reissued on vinyl, the F word. Come on, Warner! I've got old pressings of 5150 and OU812 even though they haven't been reissued compared to the DLR era. The vinyl doesn't include Apolitical Blues.

What about Three Lock Box?

The Zep box set released in the 90s so yeah.

Beatles remastered CDs which I'm not entirely fond of.

Another question: do those "half-speed" mastered vinyl albums from like the 80s count? (Think I had Wish You Were Here in that format)

i bought a few because like y2112 said it's kinda unavoidable.......but i don't play the bonus tracks on em much at all. i'm really not a bonus song kinda guy

like......i dunno. b-sides are fine but then like........here's a bunch of songs that wasn't good enough for the record first go round....oh and here's some demos of me coming up with the main hook of a song based off a series of well timed farts.

i'll pass, lol

Mick

That's generally my take on extras as well. The Beatles load their boxed sets with outtakes, which are mostly useless studio banter and start/stop performances, etc. Maybe buried there's a few a-ha moments but mostly stuff left on the cutting room floor for a reason, as you explained. In Absentia and a few of Yes's sets are the only ones I've ever returned to.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Not an album, but I when Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage came out, Best Buy had promotional copies of the DVD that included a distessed MP tour T-shirt, and I bought one of them. Shirt was tagged as an XL, but that didn't last after the first wash and dry, lol.

Not an album, but I when Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage came out, Best Buy had promotional copies of the DVD that included a distessed MP tour T-shirt, and I bought one of them. Shirt was tagged as an XL, but that didn't last after the first wash and dry, lol.

I can't dry any of my t-shirts in the dryer. An XL fits me well most of the time but sometimes they shrink in the dryer so I take no chances and hang dry all of them and I have a LOT. I collect music Ts and Harley Ts from places I've ridden to (and there are many of those).

• Like 1

I can't dry any of my t-shirts in the dryer. An XL fits me well most of the time but sometimes they shrink in the dryer so I take no chances and hang dry all of them and I have a LOT. I collect music Ts and Harley Ts from places I've ridden to (and there are many of those).

I found a couple of RUSH t-shirts the other day that I never knew I had, or forgot I had. They were waaaaay way in the back of this cupboard and still unopened. One is a Signals one and the other is AFTK. I wonder where I got them from? :eh:

i'll pass, lol

Mick

Unless it's TULL, TULL bonus tracks are good!

i'll pass, lol

Mick

That's generally my take on extras as well. The Beatles load their boxed sets with outtakes, which are mostly useless studio banter and start/stop performances, etc. Maybe buried there's a few a-ha moments but mostly stuff left on the cutting room floor for a reason, as you explained. In Absentia and a few of Yes's sets are the only ones I've ever returned to.

Have you actually listened to the Sgt. Pepper’s, White Album and Abbey Road boxes?

It's admirable that they stayed so true to the original.

Some of them are great value but others are a total rip off. I'm very discriminating when buying deluxe stuff, avoiding all blatant cash grabs, even from bands I love.

I'll buy them if they have a live set from the tour (Turbo, Pyromania, Mob Rules) and I'll buy Beatles' related boxes ONLY to hear alternate takes. The White Album, for example, has the Esher Demos, which are fantastic. I have no interest in box sets that have new liner notes or tour books. I'm not an audiophile, so I have no idea if "remastering," (not remixing) does anything. I certainly can't hear it.

Some of them are great value but others are a total rip off. I'm very discriminating when buying deluxe stuff, avoiding all blatant cash grabs, even from bands I love.

I'll buy them if they have a live set from the tour (Turbo, Pyromania, Mob Rules) and I'll buy Beatles' related boxes ONLY to hear alternate takes. The White Album, for example, has the Esher Demos, which are fantastic. I have no interest in box sets that have new liner notes or tour books. I'm not an audiophile, so I have no idea if "remastering," (not remixing) does anything. I certainly can't hear it.

I've bought the rest of the Sabbath Super Deluxe sets! They arrived yesterday, they're here with the PARANOID one! :D-13:

• Like 1

i'll pass, lol

Mick

Have you actually listened to the Sgt. Pepper’s, White Album and Abbey Road boxes?

Sgt Pepper's, they're expensive so I'm holding out for the price to drop over time then will snag them all second hand.

The surround mix is good, I've heard the Abbey Road surround mix and it's phenomenal. Sadly have not heard anything from the white album box yet, and it's my favorite of the three.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

i'll pass, lol

Mick

Sgt Pepper's, they're expensive so I'm holding out for the price to drop over time then will snag them all second hand.

The surround mix is good, I've heard the Abbey Road surround mix and it's phenomenal. Sadly have not heard anything from the white album box yet, and it's my favorite of the three.

I got them! :smoke:

The In Absentia deluxe from a couple years ago is good, and fairly cheap. The surround wasn't bad in the original DTS, so for me the alt versions and in progress versions of the songs, as well as a couple that didn't make the record, is the true worth in that particular set.

My price point is $100 or less. I mostly buy them for surround mixes that are bundled, and only sometimes distributed separately. Exception is SW's Hand Cannot Erase, which is a true piece of art with the book that I rather enjoy.

There has to be something significant about the release for me to spend more than $20 on new/re-released music.

If you are into lynyrd skynyrd, Wal mart used sell the a greatest hit package with one disc in surround sound. A regular CD and a DVD of the Grey whistle test. Price was around $10!