Having a difficult day

Charlotte7598

How are you doing today? :hug2:

Feel free to send me a PM if you still feel like talking to somebody. I do live in a totally different time zone, but I'll answer you.

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 1

I think it matters, you are brave for sharing and I hope you are feeling better.

But (and don't slap me!) this is kind of Neil's corner of the forums?

I think it matters, you are brave for sharing and I hope you are feeling better.

But (and don't slap me!) this is kind of Neil's corner of the forums?

Main reason I posted it here is cause Neil is one of the things I was feeling sad about. But if I post things in the wrong place feel free to correct me and I'll put it in the right place in the future.

• Like 2

Hi Charlotte and others that are having a bad week. Many times i would like someone to talk too so i come here.I dont have cancer, but i can feel for those that do. God Bless.

You all matter. :heart: :rose:

• Like 2

Hi Charlotte.  I'm 'new' here in that I was here years ago and just came back to start posting again (I think my member number is 71, so that tells you how old I am LOL).  I totally understand how you feel.  I returned here, in part, to commiserate with people who are having the same feelings about this as I am.

I am still not dealing well with his passing.  I guess it's the typical stages of grief where some times I'm fine (and can listen to 'The Garden' without crying) and times where I can't.  There will be random things that should be totally normal to see or hear - like a stupid click bait type video on YT talking about him - that end up making me bawl. 

And the dreams - lord the dreams!  At least once a week (though usually more if I'm honest), he pops up in a dream - like I knew him and we're friends or something and doing random stuff.  

I guess for a lot of us, the day he died will become like the Challenger disaster or 9/11 in that I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard.  His sprawling legacy is comforting to me (about the only thing that is).

But we can have each other, right?  Fellow Rush fans to talk to and be friends with - that's part of the legacy too, I think.

xoxo

• Like 3

I didn’t want to start a new thread, but this one seems to be the most appropriate place to post about this…I’ve been reading a couple of Neil’s travel books lately; I just finished The Masked Rider yesterday and started immediately on Ghost Rider right after it. 

I am not the fanboy type, but I am finding myself getting emotional about him being gone…as I read his words, his careful pieces of prose strung together and conveying incredible stories- it all just brings back to the front of my mind how much we lost when he passed away. His very matter-of-fact way of explaining his thinking, and his humor, and his eloquence. In thinking about just putting this post together, I was going to call him ‘brilliant’, but then I stepped back, because that lends itself too much to hyperbole, I think. But ‘eloquent’ definitely fits. That’s what I gain from his writing- from reading the finished, published books. He had such an eloquent mind.

• Like 2

The degree of my being emotional about him is also because I’ve suffered losses similar to what he did. Losing a couple of loved ones unexpectedly creates a tragic sort of kinship, even when it’s with someone you’ll never meet.

• Like 1

Some people are cursed with being viscerally tuned into reality. Neil Peart was that kind of human being.

I often wish he had been MORE selfish and lived a quiet life that would have made him happier. 

In hindsight his statements about his contemporaries are amusing as most of them got more attention but their legacies are stale. 

Neil allowed the black sheep of the world to have a moment of grace. 

I feel like we can never thank him enough.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 4:38 PM, BigMontanaSKY said:

I feel like we can never thank him enough

I agree.

My personality is a lot like Neil's. I'm extremely introverted and don't like a lot of attention. I frequently find myself wondering why he chose the lifestyle he did in the first place. It makes me think of one thing Neil has said, "what more can you do but inspire people?" 

Well, he wanted to inspire so I have to believe that's why he did everything he's done and put so much love and care into his craft. Putting his own discomfort with the Limelight aside was the most selfless thing he could have ever done....indeed, there is no way to properly thank him for it. But, I don't think he was looking for thanks or acknowledgement either because that's just the kind of person he was.

3 1/2 going on four years gone and somehow it still just sucks. He didn't get what he deserved; while he did live a life most merely dream about, the things that mattered to him most like spending time with his family were ripped away from him in a very cruel fashion. It just can't be understood.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 7:02 PM, Charlotte7598 said:

I frequently find myself wondering why he chose the lifestyle he did in the first place.

Have any rock musicians been truly prepared for stardom when they first start making records and touring?   

I think it's likely that the Boys looked at each other at least once and asked each other, "What have we gotten ourselves into?" 

I think it's very likely that Neil wasn't prepared.  His young daughter didn't know him when he would come home from touring, and that pissed him off.   

On 7/4/2023 at 9:01 PM, Principled Man said:

Have any rock musicians been truly prepared for stardom when they first start making records and touring?   

I think it's likely that the Boys looked at each other at least once and asked each other, "What have we gotten ourselves into?" 

I think it's very likely that Neil wasn't prepared.  His young daughter didn't know him when he would come home from touring, and that pissed him off.   

I knew someone like Neil Peart before I joined the ranks of Rush fandom.

(This guy was brilliant, handsome and funny. He could have done anything he wanted. He chose a quiet prosperous life & raised a small family. He WAS a brutally honest human so I doubt he had days where he really wondered "what if?" regarding his life choices. I guess I'm saying some people are decisive in the best ways.)

IMO Neil Peart was fated to be an artist. He was fortunate that he was surrounded by people who supported his talent and were patient with his quirks.

Let's focus on what is important. Neil Peart left us music, books, essays and teaching aids for drumming. He saved so many souls just by expressing his talent and thoughts. 

• Like 3