Alex's 'Envy of None' released their first single called "Liar"

Jag2112

Had a change of feeling about that tom morello thing, is actually pretty good and showcases Al's guitar pretty well. Decent stuff.

One thing i'm noticing though in Al's collaborations, seems to be trying hard not to sound like Alex Lifeson of Rush

• Like 1

Had a change of feeling about that tom morello thing, is actually pretty good and showcases Al's guitar pretty well. Decent stuff.

One thing i'm noticing though in Al's collaborations, seems to be trying hard not to sound like Alex Lifeson of Rush

It's because he likely can't. The Working Man Live in Cleveland is all the proof one needs that Alex is a pale facsimile of what he once was. He still my favorite guitarist, and I am still moved by his earlier work, but he's not the guitarist he used to be.

• Like 1

Weakest of the three songs I have heard.

That said, I have been a Alex fanboi since the 70s. I think its great that he making music he likes and I don't care for.

Art as expression lives on in Alex!

Three songs? Where are the other two????

Rod, I am likely wrong. I thought Kabul blues and spy house were part of the EON project? My bad

Edit- the link in the original post seems like i am correct?

Oh, got it! No, these songs are stand alone tracks that Alex worked on. My understanding is that they won't be on the EON album.

I won't listen to this pile of steaming shit for EONS.

Envy

Of

Neverending

Shit

"Fart as expression."

That said, I have been a Alex fanboi since the 70s. I think its great that he making music he likes and I don't care for.

Art as expression lives on in Alex!

Rod, I am likely wrong. I thought Kabul blues and spy house were part of the EON project? My bad

Oh, got it! No, these songs are stand alone tracks that Alex worked on. My understanding is that they won't be on the EON album.

Envy

Of

Neverending

Shit

"Fart as expression."

I remember when folks used to say that they'd be happy to see Rush again, or get a record, even if all they did was fart.

Art as exp<b></b>ression lives on in Alex!

Envy

Of

Neverending

Shit

"Fart as exp<b></b>ression."

I cancelled my preorder. I don't think this song is bad but I don't see myself playing an album of it.

The saddest thing about this project so far is that it sounds like echoes of a million other generic artists. It's such a faceless song, and I will need to play the album for sure before I decide.

• Like 2

He even played that way while still in Rush doing work outside of Rush.

Mostly yes but, there's an awful lot of guitar on Victor that could easily be on a Rush album - definitely Lifeson of Rush stuff

Edit - But yeah although working with others on Victor is still what described as his solo album so unsure if can be described as a 'collaboration' as such.

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 1

Mostly yes but, there's an awful lot of guitar on Victor that could easily be on a Rush album - definitely Lifeson of Rush stuff

Edit - But yeah although working with others on Victor is still what described as his solo album so unsure if can be described as a 'collaboration' as such.

I was thinking more of his one offs (or more than that) contributions to other projects (Someone needs to make a definitive list of all of them). Didn't even consider Victor, but that's a mixed bag of different approaches.

• Like 1

I wasn't impressed when Liar came out, but must admit that I liked the whole album more than I was ready to...I will have a chat with Andy Curran about the album, hopefully next week.
  • Like 3

The guys coulda done a tour not performing as Rush but performing Rush music with guest percussionists, woulda been great nothing too heavy or expected, more like a party or celebration while Al and Ged could still do their thing together, can't see the problem they'd make a fortune the fans happy and everybody has a great time, just get it on

The guys coulda done a tour not performing as Rush but performing Rush music with guest percussionists, woulda been great nothing too heavy or expected, more like a party or celebration while Al and Ged could still do their thing together, can't see the problem they'd make a fortune the fans happy and everybody has a great time, just get it on

No. They will NEVER do that.

I had a good chat with Andy Curran today, who was Rush's A&R and is the bass player of Envy of None. He was actually at Rush's headquarters in Mississauga, and showed me the dryers they used on the Vapor Trails tour.

• Like 2

Yo this "night with Ged and Al" fantasy show with diehard fans high-fiving one another is NOT happening.

The guys are over it.

Al drinks his port wine at home and pesters Ged via text message. That's it.

• Like 1

listened to "liar" and then checked out "look inside" which i liked better

maybe in truth alex actually likes - or at least missed - being lower in the mix and adding to synth soundscapes.

i didn't go into it expecting it to be anything like rush so i'm not disappointed at all. they're just trying to make more modern music.