Rush experiences

Ghost of a Rider

My brother in law asked me if I wanted to come help volunteer at a food booth at this festival for the National Guard regiment returning home from Iraq. While there, a biker dude comes up and orders some gumbo and notices my Vapor Trails shirt. He points at my shirt and says:

"Rush! Are you a fan of Neil's?"

"You bet." says I.

"And Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee?"

"You know it."

"All right! Those guys are the best."

"Durn tootin' they are."

He told me he hasn't seen them since the RTB tour though. I told him they just toured last year for R30. Oh well.

My second experience was this woman ordering some gumbo who was wearing a T-shirt that said "Ross Paul" on the front. I didn't think anything of it as I had no idea what it was. But then she turned around and the back of the shirt had the "Plus la change.." line from Circumstances on the back. I beckoned her over and asked what that was about and during the course of the conversation I find out that Ross Paul is the name of a Rush cover band in our area that I didn't even know about. She said they play all the time at the club she works at and gave me the phone number of the place.

How cool is that?

yes.gif Some people have all the luck sounds real cool.

Now those are really cool Rush experiences! My latest one (granted, I've had about 3 total) was when I was at the store, and I was wearing my R30 tie-dye shirt. This guy stops me and says, "YOU like Rush?" "Yes, indeed," says I. smile.gif He said, "I didn't think they were still around!" And so of course I proceeded to tell him that they are in fact going strong, and that I had seen them three times last summer. He said, "Huh. Well, I'm going to have to get caught up and go home and listen to my cds."

I walked away feeling satisfied that my work as a rabid Rush fan was done. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 14 2005, 07:15 AM)
maybe there's some correlation between people that order gumbo and people that like rush tongue.gif

You know, I wondered about that. But I guess it's just one of the mysteries of the universe like why is the thing you're looking for always in the last place you look?

After I posted I went looking for this band on the net and found their web site. Turns out they're a classic rock cover band and Rush is one of about 6 or 7 other bands they cover. Here is their song list:

* Snortin Whiskey

* Imigrant Song

* White Room

* Getting Betta

* Here Again

* Walk This Way

* Rock & Roll All Night

* Kashmir

* A Passage to Bangkok

* Limelight

* Wish You Were Here

* Comfortably Numb

* Communication Breakdown

* Empire

* Hard to Handle

* The Ocean

* Strange Brew

* Seagull

* Workin Man

* Flyin Turkey Trot

* 157 Riverside Avenue

* Cold Gin

* Heartbreaker

* Living Loving Maid

* Day of the Eagle

* Simple Man

* Tie Your Mother Down

* Anthem

If there's a lesson to be learned from this brothas and sistas, it's that you should wear your Rush T-shirts at all times to proclaim your devotion to the One True Band.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 14 2005, 05:04 PM)
y'know... i don't have ANY Rush t-shirts. How lame is that?

You better do something about that. Rush Backstage has a fine selection to choose from. GO NOW!

And while you're at it, I highly recommend the golf balls.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Nov 14 2005, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 14 2005, 06:04 PM)
y'know... i don't have ANY Rush t-shirts.  How lame is that?

It better not be lame....I don't have any either....

I just got my 6th shirt last weekend. I have two from the R30 tour, two from the Vapor Trails tour, one that is from A Farewell to Kings, and one from the Signals tour.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Nov 15 2005, 05:29 AM)
QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Nov 14 2005, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 14 2005, 06:04 PM)
y'know... i don't have ANY Rush t-shirts.  How lame is that?

It better not be lame....I don't have any either....

Same. sad.gif

You guys are f***ing lame.

QUOTE (Daylin @ Nov 14 2005, 07:33 PM)
Great stories Ghost!

I'm happy to see you. How's your writing going?

Going slow I'm afraid. I had wanted to be a writer since I was about 17 or so but didn't have the nerve to pursue it. As a result, today I have no typing skills or much writing experience. You'd be surprised how daunting it is to write something by hunting and pecking on a keyboard. It's very frustrating because my typing can't keep up with my thoughts and sometimes I'll forget a particularly interesting point before I can get it down.

That's why I love coming here and to other forums, it's great practice for my typing, punctuation and grammer, using my vocabulary and basically just expressing myself.

I have a book idea (non fiction) in mind and a cool title and I even wrote a page or two before I realized there was much more preparation to be done before tackling something of this magnitude. The book I'm writing is going to involve massive amounts of research from innumerable fields of interest. It will include info from science and religion mostly but from other areas as well and I am not an expert in anything (except Rush of course).

So, in short, I have a lot of work to do. So if you'll excuse me...

P.S. I can't believe you remembered about my writing, that's very sweet. You must have remembered from the AGP counselling sessions.

Here's a rose.gif for you for being such a sweetheart.

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Nov 15 2005, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Daylin @ Nov 14 2005, 07:33 PM)
Great stories Ghost!

I'm happy to see you.  How's your writing going?

Going slow I'm afraid. I had wanted to be a writer since I was about 17 or so but didn't have the nerve to pursue it. As a result, today I have no typing skills or much writing experience. You'd be surprised how daunting it is to write something by hunting and pecking on a keyboard. It's very frustrating because my typing can't keep up with my thoughts and sometimes I'll forget a particularly interesting point before I can get it down.

That's why I love coming here and to other forums, it's great practice for my typing, punctuation and grammer, using my vocabulary and basically just expressing myself.

I have a book idea (non fiction) in mind and a cool title and I even wrote a page or two before I realized there was much more preparation to be done before tackling something of this magnitude. The book I'm writing is going to involve massive amounts of research from innumerable fields of interest. It will include info from science and religion mostly but from other areas as well and I am not an expert in anything (except Rush of course).

So, in short, I have a lot of work to do. So if you'll excuse me...

P.S. I can't believe you remembered about my writing, that's very sweet. You must have remembered from the AGP counselling sessions.

Here's a rose.gif for you for being such a sweetheart.

You need to transcribe it and have someone who types fast type up your thoughts for you.

I do copy editing and such on the side, and can type about 85/90 wpm. Maybe you can find someone like that to help you. If you wanna ship 'em to me, I'll give you a good deal. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Nov 13 2005, 11:08 PM)
My brother in law asked me if I wanted to come help volunteer at a food booth at this festival for the National Guard regiment returning home from Iraq. While there, a biker dude comes up and orders some gumbo and notices my Vapor Trails shirt. He points at my shirt and says:
"Rush! Are you a fan of Neil's?"
"You bet." says I.
"And Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee?"
"You know it."
"All right! Those guys are the best."
"Durn tootin' they are."
He told me he hasn't seen them since the RTB tour though. I told him they just toured last year for R30. Oh well.
My second experience was this woman ordering some gumbo who was wearing a T-shirt that said "Ross Paul" on the front. I didn't think anything of it as I had no idea what it was. But then she turned around and the back of the shirt had the "Plus la change.." line from Circumstances on the back. I beckoned her over and asked what that was about and during the course of the conversation I find out that Ross Paul is the name of a Rush cover band in our area that I didn't even know about. She said they play all the time at the club she works at and gave me the phone number of the place.
How cool is that?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/sundog918/smileys/classic-smiley-4.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 15 2005, 10:42 AM)
You need to transcribe it and have someone who types fast type up your thoughts for you.

I do copy editing and such on the side, and can type about 85/90 wpm. Maybe you can find someone like that to help you. If you wanna ship 'em to me, I'll give you a good deal. biggrin.gif

My longhand writing is not fast enough either and besides, it's extremely tiring. I'm no good at thinking out loud either, it's just something I've never done. So voice recording is out. Maybe what I need is to have someone like yourself who can type faster than me have and type my thoughts for me. Goodness knows mine get me in trouble from time to time.

Actually I have a Mavis Beacon typing instructional program that's pretty good. I got it some time back and have been slowly working my way through it. Thanks for the offer though.

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Nov 15 2005, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 15 2005, 10:42 AM)

I do copy editing and such on the side, and can type about 85/90 wpm.  Maybe you can find someone like that to help you.  If you wanna ship 'em to me, I'll give you a good deal.  biggrin.gif

My longhand writing is not fast enough either and besides, it's extremely tiring. I'm no good at thinking out loud either, it's just something I've never done. So voice recording is out. Maybe what I need is to have someone like yourself who can type faster than me have and type my thoughts for me. Goodness knows mine get me in trouble from time to time.

Actually I have a Mavis Beacon typing instructional program that's pretty good. I got it some time back and have been slowly working my way through it. Thanks for the offer though.

learning touch typing the proper way as opposed to the hunting for a key method really rocks and it's so worth the time put into it to learn how to do it. being able to type well without looking at the keys is great, but takes a little time and patience - it's all SO worth the effort...

Archived