Budgie's Burke Shelley dies at 71

treeduck

Damn. He was still a teenager when his band started making LPs. I found out about these guys because of Metalica.

Yes, Metallica's cover of Crash Course In Brain Surgery was the first I had ever heard of them. I didn't give Budgie a serious try until years later when treeduck and a few others on here convinced me to give them a shot. A very underrated band with a lot of cool riffs. You can definitely hear the influence they had on metal even though nobody knows who they are.

RIP

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 4

I have been a Budgie fan since the early days - I first listened to them in 1972. I have been fortunate enough to see them live a couple of times.

It is with great sadness that I read this thread.

RIP Burke Shelley. A real musical hero to me.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 3

I've been sorry, to hear, see, and read this. I haven't been a regular, and daily listener of "Budgie". He will be missed, and remembered. My condolences, and sympathies to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Burke.
  • Like 1

Having BUDGIE NIGHT!

Rank the Budgie albums in order.

In For The Kill

Squawk

Budgie

Never Turn Your Back On A Friend

Bandolier

Impeckable

Power Supply

If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules

Nightflight

Deliver Us From Evil

Cuckooland

I'm surprised you've not got Bandolier in your top 3 and Never Turn Your Back!

• Like 1

Having BUDGIE NIGHT!

In For The Kill

Squawk

Budgie

Bandolier

Impeckable

Power Supply

Nightflight

Deliver Us From Evil

Cuckooland

I might change my mind Pat. Those three albums are up next on the stereo! I confess it's been a while sine I was on a Budgie Binge.

• Like 1

Having BUDGIE NIGHT!

In For The Kill

Squawk

Budgie

Bandolier

Impeckable

Power Supply

Nightflight

Deliver Us From Evil

Cuckooland

I might change my mind Pat. Those three albums are up next on the stereo! I confess it's been a while sine I was on a Budgie Binge.

I've got the same top three as Zepphead, he has "In For the Kill", "Never Turn Your Back" and "Bandolier". After that it's the first two, then Brittania and Impeckable. I like the first two 80's albums a lot though too. Even the 1982 Deliver us From Evil is pretty good. I listened to it a few weeks back and enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Having BUDGIE NIGHT!

In For The Kill

Squawk

Budgie

Bandolier

Impeckable

Power Supply

Nightflight

Deliver Us From Evil

Cuckooland

I've got the same top three as Zepphead, he has "In For the Kill", "Never Turn Your Back" and "Bandolier". After that it's the first two, then Brittania and Impeckable. I like the first two 80's albums a lot though too. Even the 1982 Deliver us From Evil is pretty good. I listened to it a few weeks back and enjoyed it.

Excellent! Zepphead Rocks! I'm listening to the new George Lynch Pat. "Seamless." It's awesome! Instrumental so far. Then the next three on my cd list are those three Budgie albums!

• Like 1

Having BUDGIE NIGHT!

In For The Kill

Squawk

Budgie

Bandolier

Impeckable

Power Supply

Nightflight

Deliver Us From Evil

Cuckooland

Excellent! Zepphead Rocks! I'm listening to the new George Lynch Pat. "Seamless." It's awesome! Instrumental so far. Then the next three on my cd list are those three Budgie albums!

Is it melodic or is it a mish-mash of discordant riffs??

• Like 1

Having BUDGIE NIGHT!

In For The Kill

Squawk

Budgie

Bandolier

Impeckable

Power Supply

Nightflight

Deliver Us From Evil

Cuckooland

Hahaha! You are a Lynch guy like me! I was slightly impressed. It's a melodic mish-mash of riffs and solos that are ok. LOL!

• Like 1

Having BUDGIE NIGHT!

In For The Kill

Squawk

Budgie

Bandolier

Impeckable

Power Supply

Nightflight

Deliver Us From Evil

Cuckooland

Hahaha! You are a Lynch guy like me! I was slightly impressed. It's a melodic mish-mash of riffs and solos that are ok. LOL!

Yeah that's what I thought. I might grab it anyway.

Did you ever get his first solo album from the 90's? That's got some decent tracks. It's patchy though.

And what about Glenn Tipton's solo albums? He's got one good instrumental and the rest is shit, like KK said. And Glenn's vocals are like the sound of a live cat's guts being made into a tennis racket!