The Official 2022 MLB Season Thread

lerxt1990

7 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

So I've just endured the "no announcers" broadcast by Peacock of the Royals-Tigers game. It was total shit.

First, while I understand the biases of local announcing crews, I don't really expect that from a non-local interest like Peacock, but maybe they were using some Detroit locals for the chatter? Whoever the roving woman reporter was, I'm surprised she was able to do those interviews* at all, what with her tongue so firmly down the back of the Tigers' trousers.

Not that those other knuckleheads were much better, at one point riding the carousel while providing some desultory game comments.

They all wandered around the stadium, chiming in every inning or so with something newly inane and pointless.

I tried listening to the radio broadcast while watching, but the asynchrony (about a pitch) was too much to take, so I just turned some music on. Thin Lizzy Live from the Sydney Opera House '78, if you're curious.

Anyway, Royals win, but my enjoyment was dimmed by Peacock's experiment.

(*Her interview with the merchandise vendor who's been with the Tigers since 1960 was actually kind of cool; he sounds like a real historian of Detroit and had neat stories.)

The Pirates had a vendor like that that worked until he was 80 or something; they don't make em like that anymore! The rest of the no announcing game sounds a little strange!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blueschica said:

The Pirates had a vendor like that that worked until he was 80 or something; they don't make em like that anymore! The rest of the no announcing game sounds a little strange!

I remember that guy, he was 99 and worked for 81 years before retiring.  He also fought in WW Two.

• Like 1

Interesting Yet Meaningless Stat of The Day:

Brewers catcher Victor Caratini was the fifth major league player since 1900 to strike out in his first four plate appearances of a game before hitting a walk-off homer his fifth time up.

Mike Schmidt -1983

Ray Knight - 1986

David Justice - 2001

Derek Norris - 2015

Victor Caratini - 2022

Suzuki is off the IL and has wasted absolutely no time getting back to crushing the ball.

Scherzer is back too and humiliated the Reds with a season high 11 K's, but in Mets fashion they lost the game 0-1

• Like 1

The Brewers starter tonight should have just done the opposite of what he thought he should do.

16 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

The Brewers starter tonight should have just done the opposite of what he thought he should do.

Indeed….he should have induced fly ball outs instead of ground balls.  His infielders stunk up the field!

The Marquee network is a complete clusterfuck.  Sutcliffe should never do another game again.  The Cubs had just gotten three straight hits and had a runner on second with no outs.   Their best power hitter, with the platoon advantage, then bunts the runner over to third.   If Ross had anything to do with the decision, he should be gone too.   He should be gone anyway.  Although the bunt was executed successfully, the strategy is dependent on the next hitter executing, which of course, he doesn't.  Sutcliffe practically falls out of the booth praising the move.   He sucks as an announcer anyway but at least don't praise an indefensible strategy.  It's not 1917 anymore.

The Cubs then end up losing in large part due to a dropped fly ball the outfielder had about three seconds to camp under.

Brian Anderson and Bill Schroeder are the main TV announcers for the Brewers.   They test the very limits of our tolerance with their inane buffoonery.  

Schroeder:  The Pirates have had multiple base runners on base.  

Anderson:  Reynolds has a short lead.  He doesn’t appear runnerish.  

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Edited by Principled Man

33 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

Brian Anderson and Bill Schroeder are the main TV announcers for the Brewers.   They test the very limits of our tolerance with their inane buffoonery.  

Schroeder:  The Pirates have had multiple base runners on base.  

Anderson:  Reynolds has a short lead.  He doesn’t appear runnerish.  

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Trade you Sutcliffe for Schroder.   Or does he believe strategies costing your team runs are they way the game should be played, too.

Boog's OK but he needs to push back on inane CW.

If you have mlb.tv my son says there's a way to sync up your home radio broadcast with the telecast.  Haven't tried it yet, though.

2 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Trade you Sutcliffe for Schroder.   Or does he believe strategies costing your team runs are they way the game should be played, too.

Boog's OK but he needs to push back on inane CW.

If you have mlb.tv my son says there's a way to sync up your home radio broadcast with the telecast.  Haven't tried it yet, though.

Schroeder, a former Brewer, has a vocabularity of about 50 words.   The same clichés over and over again, every game.  He and Anderson are full-time praisers of every player, in spite of their failures at the plate and piss poor batting average.  

Their on-field reporter, Sophia Minneart, is no better.  After every win, she asks one of the star players simplistic, self-answering questions like “How important was this win?”….”How big was it to rally in the 9th inning?”…etc.   

WTMJ radio’s website blacks out Brewer games on my side of the state….damnit.   

On 7/10/2022 at 8:06 AM, edhunter said:

I know the Yanks have a 15 game lead but watching them blow that game last night really pissed me off. Stupid running plays, stupid managing and freaking Donaldson choking on a game-ending doubleplay ball. 

Yes, but just think, come October, you'll have built up a tolerance to it when they do it in the playoffs, as they have for most of this century (nearly a quarter gone).

On 7/11/2022 at 9:36 PM, invisible airwave said:

Standard procedure during negotiations.  Our contract was up in April and we had the authorization vote in March.   Negotiations are moving along pretty well so we still work. It will make for a nice retro-bump once it finally gets finalized. 

Assuming the negotiations are progressing, I wouldn't expect a stoppage. But if they're not, striking the All-Star Game makes a nice impact statement.

Ten (10!) of the Royals players cannot make the trip to Toronto because of vaccination rules. No other franchise has more than four. What a f*****g clown show this club is at the moment. I guess shitty teammates means a shitty team. Whit Merrifield even came out and said if the team was more competitive, he might have gotten the vaccine then. What a prince.

:facepalm:

47 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Ten (10!) of the Royals players cannot make the trip to Toronto because of vaccination rules. No other franchise has more than four. What a f*****g clown show this club is at the moment. I guess shitty teammates means a shitty team. Whit Merrifield even came out and said if the team was more competitive, he might have gotten the vaccine then. What a prince.

:facepalm:

Sounds like the clown show is the Canadian government.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

Sounds like the clown show is the Canadian government.

The US government has the same expectations -- you can't enter the country without being vaccinated -- but I know that doesn't carry any weight with you.

They've known for months what the rules are, and they made "personal decisions" to abandon their teammates rather than do something (easy, painless, harmless -- and maybe helpful!) about it.

I'm filing this one under "ignorance is bliss as a sports fan, or, thing I wish I didn't know."

• Like 1

I want sooooo much to see Corbin Burnes in the Brewers’ dugout, ripping into the guys for being so impotent with runners on.  

Bases jammed, no outs, three straight K’s.  :facepalm:   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

The US government has the same expectations -- you can't enter the country without being vaccinated -- but I know that doesn't carry any weight with you.

They've known for months what the rules are, and they made "personal decisions" to abandon their teammates rather than do something (easy, painless, harmless -- and maybe helpful!) about it.

I'm filing this one under "ignorance is bliss as a sports fan, or, thing I wish I didn't know."

Science not being one of those things, lol

2 hours ago, Principled Man said:

I want sooooo much to see Corbin Burnes in the Brewers’ dugout, ripping into the guys for being so impotent with runners on.  

Bases jammed, no outs, three straight K’s.  :facepalm:   

Can't even lean into one? 

5 hours ago, goose said:

Science not being one of those things, lol

Well, the science of vaccines speaks for itself*, so that's not the explicit list, no. Maybe I misunderstood your intent?

(see Smallpox, near eradication of; MMR; Polio; flu shots [which don't eliminate the flu but make it less virulent]; etc., etc.).

Anyway, the kids took a game from the reeling Blue Jays last night, so that's a fun coda to the story. Maybe some of those trade candidates become trader candidate-ier.

Edited by Nova Carmina
to add actual baseball the post!

8 hours ago, goose said:

Can't even lean into one? 

The Brewers are under orders to swing for the fences in virtually every at-bat. 

No small ball, no bunts, no shortening up your bat to punch the ball somewhere. 

It's all or nothing, and too often, they get nothing.   Lots of strikeouts and double plays.  

• The topic was unpinned