The Official 2022 MLB Season Thread

lerxt1990

It’s always great to see a young prospect get called up and immediately produce.  

The Brewers’ Garrett Mitchell has starred in his first two games, hitting a clutch 2-run single yesterday and then a HUGE game-tying 2-run homer in the 8th inning tonight.  He also stole 2nd even though he got picked off!  He’s the new fan favorite!

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  

Edited by Principled Man

Kershaw is back for the Dodgers just in time for the playoffs!  :cheer:

Gives up a hit and three walks in the first inning en route to a game three Mets series loss.  The series also saw LA fielders  exhibiting the now too familiar new-era Dodger playoff sharpness, lol.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:48 AM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

2 hours ago, goose said:

A baseball card being valued so high seems kinda gross to me

Indeed. At 50K thirty-one years ago, that card turned out to be a good investment. At $12.6 million now, how much more will that appreciate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Indeed. At 50K thirty-one years ago, that card turned out to be a good investment. At $12.6 million now, how much more will that appreciate?

I see those numbers and can't help but think what else could be done with the money

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goose said:

I see those numbers and can't help but think what else could be done with the money

Use it for a very small part of collateral to buy a mediocre painting of sunflowers by some French guy?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Mediocre? Philistine! 

That whole painting seemed kind of pointillist, to be honest.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

Dylan Cease loses a no-hitter with two out in the ninth. Is Luis Arraez a shitheel for trying to do his job and get a hit even though his team was down 13 runs with one out left?

You think Yadi's a member here?  :wink:

I think if the Twins did anything to disturb the no no it was sending position players out to pitch the bottom of the 8th, extending the time to play that half inning.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

He might be; it would be in keeping with his overall awesomeness, but he's too busy to post much these days:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yadier-molina-heating-up-for-stretch-run

Who knew owning a basketball team would be so much work?

• Like 1

Brandon Woodruff has his best game of the year.  7 innings of 2-hit ball at Coors Field. 

Up 6-1 after 7, the Brewers’ bullpen loses the game 10-7 in 10 innings.  

The season’s almost over, guys……and good riddance!  

This is huge: more than 50% of minor league players have signed union authorization cards from the MLB Players Association. Evan Drellich at The Athletic reported this news and much more:

In just a week-and-a-half’s time, more than 50 percent of minor leaguers have returned signed union authorization cards, Major League Baseball Players Association officials told The Athletic. Now, with that majority’s support, the MLBPA has taken another significant step: it has asked MLB and the 30 teams to formally recognize the MLBPA as the minor leaguers’ collective bargaining representatives, Players Association officials said.

MLBPA deputy executive director Bruce Meyer made that request for voluntary recognition in a letter sent to deputy MLB commissioner Dan Halem on Tuesday morning. The Players Association sent over what’s known as a card-check agreement, where the league would agree to voluntary recognition, contingent on independent verification of the cards. From here, the next move might belong to commissioner Rob Manfred and the owners, who have yet to publicly comment on the fast-moving unionization effort. MLB did not immediately return a request for comment from The Athletic on Tuesday.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

I see Heaney still sucks.  My Angels and the Yanks warned you, Dodgers.

:laugh:

He got clobbered by the Giants!

Dodgers still took the series.  :cheer:

From ESPN:

"The Major League Baseball competition committee is set to vote Friday on rule changes that would begin in 2023 and include a first-ever pitch clock, the elimination of the shift, bigger bases and a limit to how many times a pitcher can disengage from the rubber..."

Having seen it in AAA the past couple of years, I like the pitch clock.  I don't like eliminating the shift.  And bigger bases...? :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goose said:

From ESPN:

"The Major League Baseball competition committee is set to vote Friday on rule changes that would begin in 2023 and include a first-ever pitch clock, the elimination of the shift, bigger bases and a limit to how many times a pitcher can disengage from the rubber..."

Having seen it in AAA the past couple of years, I like the pitch clock.  I don't like eliminating the shift.  And bigger bases...? :unsure:

The (allegedly) best hitters in the world can’t beat a simple defensive shift by hitting away.  

Poor babies….

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

The (allegedly) best hitters in the world can’t beat a simple defensive shift by hitting away.  

Poor babies….

It's that "allegedly" I get stuck on because -- perhaps excepting Japan, South Korea, and the Dominican Winter League -- these _are_ the best hitters in the world, and they can't get it done. Maybe with today's pitching? Maybe they're sure no one wants to watch a game with nine guys bunting? I get not making it too easy, but the NFL has done okay with changes that brought more offense, so I'm good with it -- just like I am with the larger bases: easier to beat close throws, steal bases, safer, etc.  Ring the changes, MLB!

34 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

It's that "allegedly" I get stuck on because -- perhaps excepting Japan, South Korea, and the Dominican Winter League -- these _are_ the best hitters in the world, and they can't get it done. Maybe with today's pitching? Maybe they're sure no one wants to watch a game with nine guys bunting? I get not making it too easy, but the NFL has done okay with changes that brought more offense, so I'm good with it -- just like I am with the larger bases: easier to beat close throws, steal bases, safer, etc.  Ring the changes, MLB!

How about using the Pauli Exclusion principle to determine replay calls.   Games would last longer than a late 90s Yankee Red Sox game...tags would never be able to be applied, but bases could never be occupied.

8 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

How about using the Pauli Exclusion principle to determine replay calls.   Games would last longer than a late 90s Yankee Red Sox game...tags would never be able to be applied, but bases could never be occupied.

I would prefer applying Zeno's paradox: I can't tag you before my glove has covered half the distance, but you can't step on the base before you've covered half the distance. Heck, you can't even hit the ball, really. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• The topic was unpinned