The Official 2022 MLB Season Thread

lerxt1990

47 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

I see the Argonauts beat the Pats 28-5. :laugh:

At least they didn’t go for 2 after the TD’s.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

I'm kicking myself for missing that Jays-Sox game. :banghead:

Just saw the highlights. Tapia grand slam was too funny. Sox looked like a minor league team. It was nice to see Budzinski smile for a change. :wub:

Brewers TV announcer Brian Anderson:

He doesn’t appear runnerish at 1st base.

A hitterish kind of night at American Family Field.

Will someone PLEASE take this nincompoop away from Brewer games?!  PLEASE!!  

Even as a non Angels fan, this is unfortunate.  You hate to see it in someone of his stature who still has some seasons left to play.  This is Reds era Griffey Jr. all over again.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10043075-angels-mike-trout-at-least-a-week-away-from-upping-activity-amid-rib-injury-rehab

• Like 1

7 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

Even as a non Angels fan, this is unfortunate.  You hate to see it in someone of his stature who still has some seasons left to play.  This is Reds era Griffey Jr. all over again.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10043075-angels-mike-trout-at-least-a-week-away-from-upping-activity-amid-rib-injury-rehab

Maybe he sneezed too hard.  :rose:

50 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Benintendi to the Yankees for three pitching prospects. You're welcome, Ed Hunter.

Let's rebuild this thing! (Again!)

Arthur Johnson approves of this trade.

2 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Arthur Johnson approves of this trade.

This Arthur Johnson?

Art Johnson Autograph on a 1994 Big League Cards (#18) 

I'm drawing a blank -- but whoever he is, I'm glad he approves of this trade. I'll like it a lot more if I trusted the Royals to develop pitching. They should have traded him to the Cardinals, though!

19 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

This Arthur Johnson?

Art Johnson Autograph on a 1994 Big League Cards (#18) 

I'm drawing a blank -- but whoever he is, I'm glad he approves of this trade. I'll like it a lot more if I trusted the Royals to develop pitching. They should have traded him to the Cardinals, though!

Well, shit!  My bad.... I could have sworn it was Arthur, but it was really Arnold Johnson, owner of the Kansas City A's, who supplied the Yankees with talent from his franchise as needed.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Well, shit!  My bad.... I could have sworn it was Arthur, but it was really Arnold Johnson, owner of the Kansas City A's, who supplied the Yankees with talent from his franchise as needed.

Oh, that effing guy; he was real POS as an owner, and it's too bad the early '70s A's got good while he still owned the team because it's left a sort of legacy as just a kooky guy, but he was actively working against his own teams quite often.  Yeah, he'd approve, then call a press conference to say he told is GM not to sell, while badgering his GM for not selling more of the players.

6 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Oh, that effing guy; he was real POS as an owner, and it's too bad the early '70s A's got good while he still owned the team because it's left a sort of legacy as just a kooky guy, but he was actively working against his own teams quite often.  Yeah, he'd approve, then call a press conference to say he told is GM not to sell, while badgering his GM for not selling more of the players.

You might be thinking of Charlie Finley, who was also a bad owner, in ways that would take more time to detail than I've got.   Here's the Wiki blurb on Arnold Johnson.

Rumors abounded almost as soon as the ink dried on the purchase that there had been massive collusion between Johnson and the Yankees, especially when the Yankees opted not to force Johnson to pay them an indemnity for moving the Athletics. Under major-league rules of the time, by virtue of owning the Blues, the Yankees also owned the major league rights to Kansas City.[2] Those claims grew louder with a series of trades between the Yankees and A's. With few exceptions, these trades were heavily slanted in favor of the Yankees, with the A's getting very little in return. For example, ten players from the 1961 Yankees, reckoned as one of the best teams of all time, came from the A's.[4] The trades led fans and other teams to accuse the A's of being little more than a Yankee farm team at the major league level. Bill Veeck, for instance, recalled that under Johnson, the A's were "nothing more than a loosely controlled Yankee farm club."[5]

In March 1960, Johnson was returning from watching the Athletics in spring training when he was fatally stricken with a cerebral hemorrhage. He died at Good Samaritan Hospital in West Palm Beach, Florida on March 3 at the age of 54.[6] Later that season, his estate sold its controlling interest in the team to Charles O. Finley, who moved the A's to Oakland and assembled a sports dynasty there in the early 1970s.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

You might be thinking of Charlie Finley, who was also a bad owner, in ways that would take more time to detail than I've got.   Here's the Wiki blurb on Arnold Johnson.

Yeah, you're right. I had my bad owners of the Kansas City A's mixed up; Johnson was the Yankee-friendly one who died about '60, I think; Finley was the one who denied he was trying to move the team while visiting Dallas, Oakland, Seattle, etc.

• Like 1

Brewers @ Red Sox:  Brewers’ color commentator Bill Schroeder, yesterday and today, called the ball park “Wrigley Field”.  Maybe by tomorrow, he’ll realize that they’re in BOSTON.   :facepalm:

The very high green wall and the lack of ivy may clue him in…..

On 7/30/2022 at 9:23 PM, Principled Man said:

Brewers @ Red Sox:  Brewers’ color commentator Bill Schroeder, yesterday and today, called the ball park “Wrigley Field”.  Maybe by tomorrow, he’ll realize that they’re in BOSTON.   :facepalm:

The very high green wall and the lack of ivy may clue him in…..

How he could mistake the cathedral that is Wrigley for the shithole that is Fenway is beyond me. 

• Like 1

The Padres have just provided the first ever conclusive evidence of prayers actually working.  

:biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

• The topic was unpinned