The Official 2022 MLB Season Thread

lerxt1990

Universal DH is now official for AL and NL. Condolences to "big sexy."

bartolocolon-bartolo.gif

Mixed feelings but I can deal lol.

End this lockout !!!

The universal DH sucks!

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion alert, but I wouldn't vote for Robo Umps if given the chance; the human element is just part of what makes the game, you know, human. From Siri to spellcheck, we're too quick to surrender our agency to Skynet. Having said that, Angel Hernandez must go.

And! The universal DH does suck; not a fan. Pitchers hitting has made the strategy of who and when part of what makes late innings, esp., more interesting. I'd rather see the AL abandon it!

End this lockout!

Fun graph I found at Royalsreview and they got it from the guy who posted it from the Athletic:

[okay, so apparently I can't copy the graph in here, but the url to the story is "]https://www.royalsre...s-or-are-lying]

Here's the analysis, if graphs aren't your thing: >>In 2003, the per-team revenue stood at about $125 million, with a per-team payroll of about $75 million. In 2019—the last year before the pandemic warped standard revenue figures—the per-team revenue grew to almost $350 million, nearly triple 2003’s figure. But the per-team average payroll only grew to almost $150 million, only double 2003’s figure. The owners are pocketing the difference.<<

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion alert, but I wouldn't vote for Robo Umps if given the chance; the human element is just part of what makes the game, you know, human. From Siri to spellcheck, we're too quick to surrender our agency to Skynet. Having said that, Angel Hernandez must go.

And! The universal DH does suck; not a fan. Pitchers hitting has made the strategy of who and when part of what makes late innings, esp., more interesting. I'd rather see the AL abandon it!

End this lockout!

Fun graph I found at Royalsreview and they got it from the guy who posted it from the Athletic:

[okay, so apparently I can't copy the graph in here, but the url to the story is https://www.royalsre...s-or-are-lying]

Here's the analysis, if graphs aren't your thing: >>In 2003, the per-team revenue stood at about $125 million, with a per-team payroll of about $75 million. In 2019—the last year before the pandemic warped standard revenue figures—the per-team revenue grew to almost $350 million, nearly triple 2003’s figure. But the per-team average payroll only grew to almost $150 million, only double 2003’s figure. The owners are pocketing the difference.<<

I dont like the robo ump thing either but the ability to call balls and strikes is getting really rough.

Problem is the zone in the vertical direction especially is subjective to an extent...

Plus in our hearts who wants someone to sit down after a questionable strikeout and say "the computer did it" - w no ump to boo.

• Like 1

Universal DH is now official for AL and NL. Condolences to "big sexy."

Condolences to Shohei Otani and his 46 HR's and 100 RBI's.

MLB: Sorry, Mr. Otani, but when you're pitching, you can't bat and drive in runs. :facepalm:

The designated hitter is a farking insult to baseball.

• Like 1

End this lockout!

[okay, so apparently I can't copy the graph in here, but the url to the story is https://www.royalsre...s-or-are-lying]

I dont like the robo ump thing either but the ability to call balls and strikes is getting really rough.

Problem is the zone in the vertical direction especially is subjective to an extent...

Plus in our hearts who wants someone to sit down after a questionable strikeout and say "the computer did it" - w no ump to boo.

I do. I can take the vertical variance in the strike zone, but the left-right inaccuracy is absurd.

As for DH, having rally-killing pitchers hit hurts the flow of the game way more than it adds an element of strategy. The reality is that most pitchers no longer work on hitting, so why not have a legitimate offensive threat take their place. The AL has show it works just fine.

• Like 1

End this lockout!

I do. I can take the vertical variance in the strike zone, but the left-right inaccuracy is absurd.

As for DH, having rally-killing pitchers hit hurts the flow of the game way more than it adds an element of strategy. The reality is that most pitchers no longer work on hitting, so why not have a legitimate offensive threat take their place. The AL has show it works just fine.

Good points all. It would just be easier if all these pitchers who are champ hitters up to college wouldn't continue to be so awesome... we see what some are capable of... Having been involved w youth baseball for a long time.. always killed me.

Edited by lerxt1990

FORT WORTH - The former communications director of the Los Angeles Angels was found guilty of providing the drugs that killed pitcher Tyler Skaggs in 2019, after a trial that raised questions about the prevalence of opioid use in Major League Baseball.

A federal jury of 10 women and two men deliberated for three hours before finding Eric Kay guilty of two counts of drug dealing: conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute a controlled substance and distribution of a controlled substance, fentanyl, resulting in Skaggs’s death.

Kay, who worked as the liaison between the Angels’ players and the reporters who covered them, was found guilty of giving Skaggs a lethal mixture of oxycodone and fentanyl, leading to his death in his Southlake, Tex., hotel room. His body was found July 1, 2019. He was 27.

Kay faces a minimum sentence of 20 years and could be behind bars for the rest of his life.

I’m sorry but I have to order you taken into custody,” U.S. District Judge Terry Means said after the verdict was read.

“I understand, your honor,” Kay said.

He was later led to the basement of the federal courthouse, his legs and hands shackled by a metal chain.

-------------------------------------------------

"I'm sorry"....? The judge is SORRY that he has to order this scum taken into custody?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

• Like 2

FORT WORTH - The former communications director of the Los Angeles Angels was found guilty of providing the drugs that killed pitcher Tyler Skaggs in 2019, after a trial that raised questions about the prevalence of opioid use in Major League Baseball.

A federal jury of 10 women and two men deliberated for three hours before finding Eric Kay guilty of two counts of drug dealing: conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute a controlled substance and distribution of a controlled substance, fentanyl, resulting in Skaggs’s death.

Kay, who worked as the liaison between the Angels’ players and the reporters who covered them, was found guilty of giving Skaggs a lethal mixture of oxycodone and fentanyl, leading to his death in his Southlake, Tex., hotel room. His body was found July 1, 2019. He was 27.

Kay faces a minimum sentence of 20 years and could be behind bars for the rest of his life.

I’m sorry but I have to order you taken into custody,” U.S. District Judge Terry Means said after the verdict was read.

He was later led to the basement of the federal courthouse, his legs and hands shackled by a metal chain.

"I'm sorry"....? The judge is SORRY that he has to order this scum taken into custody?

Likely because this man isn't some pro sports drug-dealing outlier. Drugs have long been a part of pro sports, and the judge's language to me reflects an acknowledgement of the absurdity of singling Kay out.

It's bad enough their prospects are treated like chopped liver and now this. Shame on you, cheapskate Arte. My squad has been cursed for years and this proves it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG3XXJBwsmk

Edited by invisible airwave

MLB delays start of spring training until March 5; CBA negotiations resume Monday

Jesse Rogers

ESPN Staff Writer

Spring training games won't begin until at least March 5, Major League Baseball announced in a statement on Friday.

"We regret that, without a collective bargaining agreement in place, we must postpone the start of spring training games," the statement said. "All 30 clubs are unified in their strong desire to bring players back to the field and fans back to the stands.

"We are committed to reaching an agreement that is fair to each side. On Monday, members of the owners' bargaining committee will join an in-person meeting with the Players Association and remain every day next week to negotiate and work hard towards starting the season on time."

Owners locked out the players in December after the last collective bargaining agreement expired, as negotiations for a new agreement haven't proven fruitful so far -- talks on Thursday broke off after just 15 minutes, sources told ESPN.

Talks between the league and the players union should intensify next week as the deadline to start the regular season on time looms. Negotiations are scheduled for Monday -- just the seventh time that the two sides have gotten together since the lockout began Dec. 2.

Spring camps were set to open this week, with games starting on Feb. 26, but all of that is on hold.

"MLB announced today that it 'must' postpone the start of spring training games. This is false," the MLBPA said in its statement Friday. "Nothing requires the league to delay the start of spring training, much like nothing required the league's decision to implement the lockout in the first place. Despite these decisions by the league, players remain committed to the negotiating process."

The league has previously stated they would prefer about four weeks of spring training, so camps would need to open by early March in order to start the regular season on time.

The sides are far apart on a number of issues including revenue sharing between the clubs, service time for players to enter the arbitration system, the amount of money in a pre-arbitration bonus pool and the thresholds and penalties for the competitive balance tax.

The last time spring and regular season games were missed -- outside of the COVID-19 pandemic -- came during the player's strike which began in 1994 and carried over to 1995. The 1995 season opened on April 25 and went for 144 games.

Fans who had purchased tickets to spring training games that will not be played have an option for a full refund, MLB said in its statement.

Edited by lerxt1990

I wish these assholes would get it together.

They're killing their own golden goose which was already wounded considering the loss of fanbase over the last 20 or so years.

We sure could use a Palpatine-esque Chancellor to come in and restore order.

• Like 1

They're killing their own golden goose which was already wounded considering the loss of fanbase over the last 20 or so years.

Trudeau is busy, lol
  • Like 2

Trudeau is busy, lol

Buffalo Blue Jays is starting to have a nicer ring to it every day.

• Like 1

What they're fussing about:

Key proposals in Major League Baseball labor negotiations

A summary of some key areas in collective bargaining between Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association as of proposals through Feb. 24, as obtained by The Associated Press

By RONALD BLUM AP Baseball Writer

February 24, 2022, 7:39 PM

JUPITER, Fla. -- Some of the key areas in collective bargaining between Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association as of proposals through Feb. 24, as obtained The Associated Press. This is only a partial list of bargaining topics:

FREE AGENCY

MLB: Would keep existing system in which six seasons of major league service required.

MLBPA: Would keep existing system, subject to agreement on its service time proposal.

FREE AGENT DRAFT PICK COMPENSATION

MLB and MLBPA: Agree to eliminate direct amateur draft-pick compensation, which has existed since 1976 and existed for qualified free agents since 2012.

MLB proposed that a team losing a free agent would receive draft-pick compensation based on revenue-sharing status and whether a club had been over the luxury tax threshold. For a free agent who had spent the entire season with one team, there would would be four compensation tiers based on:

— $25 million in guaranteed salary or $18 million average annual value (AAV),

— $55 million or $23 million AAV,

— $100 million or $30 million AAV,

— $150 million or $40 million AAV.

SALARY ARBITRATION

MLB: Would retain current system for players with at least three years of service and less than six, plus the top 22% by service time with at least two years but less than three, the cutoff since 2013. The Super 2 class began in 1991 at 17%.

MLBPA: Would lower eligibility to two years of major league service, plus the top 75% by service time with at least two years but less than three. MLBPA estimated 98 additional players would become eligible post-2021 with a cutoff of 2 years, 27 days. MLB estimated an additional 97.

PRE-ARBITRATION BONUS POOL

MLBPA: Proposed a new bonus pool for those not yet eligible for arbitration, who would split a $115 million from central revenue, based on WAR, appearances on an all-MLB team and recognition such as best position player, best pitcher and best rookie Would be split among 150 players.

MLB: Would agree to a new bonus pool, offering $20 million to be split among 30 players.

SERVICE TIME

MLBPA: Saying this would address its allegations of improper service time manipulation, proposed rookie-eligible players be credited with an additional year of major league service for the top 15 at each position in each league by WAR, or the top five, depending on position, and for top five Rookie of the Year, top three Rivera/Hoffman awards or first or second all-MLB team.

MLB: Proposed any rookie-eligible player with top-100 prospect status who accrues a full season of major league service would be eligible to earn his team up to two extra draft picks -- one domestic and one international -- if MLBPA would agree to an international draft, which it has opposed. MLBPA would accept in addition to its own proposal, but with modifications.

LUXURY TAX

Threshold was $210 million in 2021, with tax rates of 20% for first offender, 30% for exceeding in consecutive years and 50% for exceeding in three or more consecutive years. Surcharges for exceeding $230 million and $250 million. The second threshold was $230 million last year, with tax rates of 32% for the first offender, 42% for the second and 62% for the third. The third threshold was $250 million, with tax rates of 62.5% for the first offender 75% for the second and 95% for the third.

MLB: Proposed raising threshold to $214 million in 2022 and ‘23. $216 million in ’24, $218 million in ’25 and $222 million in ’26, with the second threshold $20 million above the first and the third threshold $40 million above the first. MLB also proposed increasing the tax rate to 50% for exceeding the first threshold, 75% for exceeding the second and 100% for exceeding the third, with no escalating rate for a team exceeding in successive years. A team would lose a second-round pick for going over the second threshold rather than dropping 10 slots and would forfeit a first-round selection for exceeding the third threshold.

MLBPA: Proposed raising threshold starting at $245 million for the 2022 season. Threshold would increase to $273 million in 2026, Would keep rates of expired agreement and eliminate non-monetary penalties.

AMATEUR DRAFT

MLB: Proposed an NBA/NHL-style draft lottery for top four selections.

MLBPA: Accepted the concept of a weighted lottery but would expand the number of teams to seven and make adjustments designed to incentivize competition.

MINIMUM SALARY

MLB: Proposed raising from $570,500 to $640,000 in 2022, rising by $10,000 annually to $680,000 by 2026.

MLBPA: Proposed raising it to $775,000 in 2022 and then $30,000 annually to $895,000 by 2026. The minor league minimum for players signing their initial major league contracts would rise to $63,200 in 2022, $66,000 in 2023, $68,500 in 2024, $70,900 in 2025 and $73,400 in 2026, and for later contracts to $126,400, $131,200, $136,100, $141,100 and $145,900.

POSTSEASON

MLB: Would expand postseason from 10 to 14 teams, with wild cards increasing from two per league to four. Division winner with best record in each league would advance directly to Division Series, and the other two division winners and wild-card teams would start in a best-of-three round.

The division winner with the second-best record would choose its opponent from among the three lowest-seeded wild-card teams. The division winner with the third-best record would then get to pick from among the remaining two wild cards. The top wild card would face whichever team is left over after the division winners make their choices.

MLBPA: 12-team expanded playoffs and possible realignment to two divisions per league, subject to agreement on MLBPA economic proposals. Three-division plan would result in 8-to-16 additional games and two-division plan in 10-to-18.

DESIGNATED HITTER

MLB has offered to accept MLBPA’s proposal to extend the designated hitter to the National League, subject to agreement on postseason expansion. The DH has been used in the American League since 1973 and was used in both leagues during the pandemic-shortened 2020 season.

AMATEUR DRAFT

MLBPA proposed cutting the amateur draft from 40 rounds to 20, which MLB accepted.

UNIFORMS ADVERTISEMENTS

MLB: Proposed adding uniform and helmet advertising patches.

MLBPA: Would agree, subject to agreement on MLBPA economic proposals.

REVENUE SHARING

MLBPA: Proposed annual revenue sharing by clubs be lowered by $30 million.

MLB: Disputes the calculation in MLBPA proposal and says it will not agree to any changes in a system that has been largely in place since the 1997 agreement.

INTERNATIONAL DRAFT

MLB has proposed an international draft, which the MLBPA has long opposed.

OPTIONAL ASSIGNMENTS

MLBPA: Proposed a limit of four optional assignments, without the tie to minor league reserve minimum.

MLB: Withdrew proposed limit of five optional assignments to the minor leagues in any season for a player, tied to MLBPA agreeing to allowing MLB the flexibility to reduce the number of players with minor league contracts from 180 to 150 per major league team in future seasons.

ON-FIELD RULES CHANGES

MLB proposed a joint committee, including at least four active players, to discuss potential on-field rule changes.

LENGTH

Five years.

f**k playoff expansion

f**k advertising on uniforms

Playoff expansion bugs me. Its already too big, and too big in all sports.... I get why they want to, but I think its a bad idea.

Especially for sports with 162 games and with such relatively narrow differences in winning percentages.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to The Official 2022 MLB Season Thread
  • The topic was unpinned