2112, the song, with Freddie Mercury on vocals

Alexmai

17 members have voted

1. 1. Freddie could sing the 2112 suite?

• Better than Geddy
    • As good as Geddy
    • Geddy is perfect for it, no need for Freddie
    • Freddie can't sing this particular Rush song
    • I'll explain my opinion on the thread

Yesterday I was watching the toon 2112 video on YouTube and I though: in 1976 Queen were on a US tour, so Freddie could technically visit Rush studio and record his version of the 2112 titletrack.

Would you be curious to listen this imaginary version?

Freddy could have pulled it off, and it would be an excellent cover version.

Exactly, while Geddy is an acquired taste for many he is part of that excellent whole. There is nothing about 2112 indicating it is out of Freddy’s range. I’d like to hear some young Mercury “clone” pull it off, that would be fun.

• Like 5

Only Geddy gets to sing 2112! (I read it, somewhere - but definitely an authority) 

And I would not want Geddy to sing Bohemian Rhapsody.

I would not want Brian May to play Alex's parts.

And I would not want Brian to tune a guitar beside a stream, wondering about how its string make sounds.

Yes, musicians are able to play each other's music - but shame! 2112?! Nobody touches that :smile:

Getting old, I guess :old:

Kinda weird I've never responded to this thread, lol.

I would listen to Freddie sing absolutely anything and in about 93% of cases I don't doubt he'd do it just as well as, if not better than, the original. Ya know, in my ears that is.

But Rush is of course a very special case, especially this era with Geddy's incredibly unique voice at the peak of its...uniqueness...lol.  I would love to hear Freddie sing it, just for fun. I think he'd put his own extra theatrical spin on it, or get the Priests sounding extra demonic (a bit of that acerbic tone from March Of The Black Queen or Death On Two Legs perhaps).  But would I prefer it to Geddy? Hard to say, since Ged means so so much to me. Truly something I would have to listen to side by side and compare.

But I'd rather not have Roger trying Neil's drum parts, lol. Love you, Roger.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:27 PM, Bahamas said:

Only Geddy gets to sing 2112! (I read it, somewhere - but definitely an authority) 

And I would not want Geddy to sing Bohemian Rhapsody.

I would not want Brian May to play Alex's parts.

And I would not want Brian to tune a guitar beside a stream, wondering about how its string make sounds.

Yes, musicians are able to play each other's music - but shame! 2112?! Nobody touches that :smile:

Getting old, I guess :old:

Geddy sings 2112, and Freddy sings Rhapsody, and that's that.

Alex and Brian doing the other's guitar parts, that's not that much of a stretch, I could easily hear it happening.

Being somewhere wondering why a string makes a particular tone or how a tone is modified?  Jeez, I do that all the time.  My friend John, a musician, and I go back and forth on that in regards to equipment, technique, etc.  I'm constantly brainstorming  ideas, like transposing music-particularly instrumental, from one musician/instrument to another.  One of my crazier ones is having a guitarist playing Andreas Vollenweider (electro-acoustic harp). Or The Mad Session in Heaven, Eddie Van Halen and Michael Hedges!

And shit, I already am old, bwahaha!

Edited by pjbear05

9 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Geddy sings 2112, and Freddy sings Rhapsody, and that's that.

Alex and Brian doing the other's guitar parts, that's not that much of a stretch, I could easily hear it happening.

Being somewhere wondering why a string makes a particular tone or how a tone is modified?  Jeez, I do that all the time.  My friend John, a musician, and I go back and forth on that in regards to equipment, technique, etc.  I'm constantly brainstorming  ideas, like transposing music-particularly instrumental, from one musician/instrument to another.  One of my crazier ones is having a guitarist playing Andreas Vollenweider (electro-acoustic harp). Or The Mad Session in Heaven, Eddie Van Halen and Michael Hedges!

And shit, I already am old, bwahaha!

You must be quite interested in Alex's journey of experimenting with sounds, as he has tried to describe.

Guitar with "not guitar" sounds, or something like that.

Maybe this is a side note, but in terms of strings and sounds, something I always found very, very interesting with Rush's music was having Ben Mink play on Losing It, and Jonny Dinklage (who was a young man thinking it was cool and learned to play the violin) was, decades later invited to play it on the final album live tour. So very cool!

Edit: Ok, yes Brian May could play the parts of discovering an instrument in the chapters of 2112, musically, but to me it's a story of discovery very much like Alex and his determination to play. His fingers on the strings is what makes me like those parts so much, almost a life-like discovery. Nothing against scientists, but I can only imagine May seeing an instrument and exclaiming "it's off its axis, the linear angularity and cosmic indifference are not aligned with the..." type discovery.

Over thinking, sure, and he made amazing music as a band, as a part of a band. But I don't think of him as an "explorer". 

Edited by Bahamas
Mr. May and discovery.
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 8:05 PM, Bahamas said:

You must be quite interested in Alex's journey of experimenting with sounds, as he has tried to describe.

Guitar with "not guitar" sounds, or something like that.

Maybe this is a side note, but in terms of strings and sounds, something I always found very, very interesting with Rush's music was having Ben Mink play on Losing It, and Jonny Dinklage (who was a young man thinking it was cool and learned to play the violin) was, decades later invited to play it on the final album live tour. So very cool!

Edit: Ok, yes Brian May could play the parts of discovering an instrument in the chapters of 2112, musically, but to me it's a story of discovery very much like Alex and his determination to play. His fingers on the strings is what makes me like those parts so much, almost a life-like discovery. Nothing against scientists, but I can only imagine May seeing an instrument and exclaiming "it's off its axis, the linear angularity and cosmic indifference are not aligned with the..." type discovery.

Over thinking, sure, and he made amazing music as a band, as a part of a band. But I don't think of him as an "explorer". 

Brian May not an explorer of guitar sounds?

fxx1j2u2qjj31.jpg

• Like 1

I wasn't clear that I love the music Queen made. And I think May is amazing and plays different styles, absolutely, his range is amazing.

Perhaps I might suggest he is a better guitarist than our beloved Alex. I have A Night on vinyl and another that I won't look through my collection for, now. And Live CDs. Queen is in my top five of all times.

I was suggesting that Rush did an amazing exploratory type thing with an idea at their early ages and the guitar and Alex's role in that discovery felt very fitting.