CA

Red3angel

Anybody have clockwork Angels in the top five? Lately it’s been my most played album, maybe because it’s the newest. Some days I think it’s the best. Which is not a bad thing to go out on top
  • Like 4

Anybody have clockwork Angels in the top five? Lately it’s been my most played album, maybe because it’s the newest. Some days I think it’s the best. Which is not a bad thing to go out on top

About 6th or 7th most days.

• Like 2

I still really like CA, and I'm so pleased they were able to make such a strong album to end their recording career.

Is it top 3 though? That's a tough call. If you substituted peak Geddy vocals on it then it might be right up there.

Would that I were able. Suffice it to say — (at risk of saying the quiet part loud :oops: and derailing the thread) that while I default to "no", I'd be willing to hear it should someone make it possible.

CA is in my top 5, hell maybe even top 3. Love the album to death. What a way to go out for this legendary band.

This is how I feel. I can never do definitive "Top Whatever" album rankings, but Clockwork Angels is way up there for me. So is the 2013 version of Vapour Trails. Both very meaningful to me, and rewarding to listen to from start to finish as whole albums. There are a lot of Rush albums that I love to pieces but don't feel that way about.

Probably 5th or 6th most of the time. Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Hemispheres, Counterparts, and Permanent Waves tend to rotate around each other in the top 5 for me these days. I can think of very few swansong albums that are as excellent as Clockwork Angels, though.
  • Like 2

I would say I like CA better then Roll the Bones , Presto , Hold Your Fire , Feedback, Vapor Trails , Snakes and Arrows, Caress of Steel . But not more then the early 80s releases and the epics from the 70s .

I'd put the last three studio albums up against any other three in the catalog. They're that good.

I think if you pare them down to 40 min each, you have a case.
  • Like 1

CA is actually my least favourite Rush album, I listen to it about as much as I listen to the debut. Unfocused, cut-and-paste songs; no memorable melodies; hackneyed 2112-retread concept. It's the kind of backwards-thinking album I never expected to see from Rush.

Its sole saving grace is The Garden. If it didn't have that song on it, it would be completely forgettable.

CA is actually my least favourite Rush album, I listen to it about as much as I listen to the debut. Unfocused, cut-and-paste songs; no memorable melodies; hackneyed 2112-retread concept. It's the kind of backwards-thinking album I never expected to see from Rush.

Its sole saving grace is The Garden. If it didn't have that song on it, it would be completely forgettable.

No memorable melodies? I’m not sure we’ve been listening to the same album!

I have stoked the fire of the big steel wheel...

• Like 3

I think it was their best album since Signals.

I don't think it's a great album but it was very ambitious and a great accomplishment for the band at that stage of their career.

In retrospect (which seems really obvious now but wasn't at the time) there were a lot of hints in the album that they suspected it could be their last.

Lyrically there's definitely a lot of swan song signalling.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a great album but it was very ambitious and a great accomplishment for the band at that stage of their career.

In retrospect (which seems really obvious now but wasn't at the time) there were a lot of hints in the album that they suspected it could be their last.

I think even though I got into Rush the very summer CA came out, it seemed to me at the time to have an air of finality about it. When R40 was sorta kinda advertised as maybe a last tour a few years later, I wasn't surprised. Though I held out hope for a long time they would get back in the studio and make one more record. Really until a year or so before Neil passed.

• Like 1

I think even though I got into Rush the very summer CA came out, it seemed to me at the time to have an air of finality about it. When R40 was sorta kinda advertised as maybe a last tour a few years later, I wasn't surprised. Though I held out hope for a long time they would get back in the studio and make one more record. Really until a year or so before Neil passed.

Neil had actually wanted the CA tour to be their last.

• Like 2

It's not a great album, but it's a great final album.

The only one who did a swan song better was Bowie. Blackstar is amaaaazing.

The only one? Innuendo by Queen begs to differ.

• Like 2