How the Rush pinball machine was designed

I Forgot

I found a couple of podcasts on the Stern website talking about how decisions were made with the machine. The band was intimately involved with the process. What I found interesting is how music was chosen. Alex, Geddy and Ed Robertson put together a “set list” of songs. Ed is a pinball fanatic and helped steer their final choices toward ones that are the most appropriate for a pinball machine.

There’s about two hours of Rush music in the machine’s audio library.

Here’s the best part in my opinion:

the songs are the FULL tracks and Ed was pretty much responsible for that. Rather than just “Temples” the entire first side of 2112 is included. Same thing for all 18 minutes of Cygnus X-1.

The reason is even though they’re really long songs, the music publisher considers it a single track and only one licensing fee.

One small downside: the “Attention all planets of the solar Federation” pilot voice is included, but it’s not Neil’s voice. In reading the conversation, it sounds to me like his voice IS included within the song but new voice tracks were recorded for isolated game effects. (After reading the transcript, let me know if you come away with the same interpretation.)

They talk about art work, playfield graphics and more. Unless I can upload all 16 pages, here’s a link to the pdf on my Google:

https://drive.google...QxjkgWjvh9/view

Here’s the conversation with the Stern development team:

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

Edited by I Forgot
  • Like 4

1641510112[/url]' post='4980305']

They deigned to make a pinball machine?? How good of them!

*sigh*

Sorry man. I’m really excited about this thing (and got a little hasty). Thus, the spelling error. As you can see, I don’t post here very often…How can I edit the title to correct the spelling?

Edited by I Forgot
  • Like 1

They deigned to make a pinball machine?? How good of them!

*sigh*

Sorry man. I’m really excited about this thing (and got a little hasty). Thus, the spelling error. As you can see, I don’t post here very often…How can I edit the title to correct the spelling?

Just edit the post and change the title.

I found a couple of podcasts on the Stern website talking about how decisions were made with the machine. The band was intimately involved with the process. What I found interesting is how music was chosen. Alex, Geddy and Ed Robertson put together a “set list” of songs. Ed is a pinball fanatic and helped steer their final choices toward ones that are the most appropriate for a pinball machine.

There’s about two hours of Rush music in the machine’s audio library.

Here’s the best part in my opinion:

the songs are the FULL tracks and Ed was pretty much responsible for that. Rather than just “Temples” the entire first side of 2112 is included. Same thing for all 18 minutes of Cygnus X-1.

The reason is even though they’re really long songs, the music publisher considers it a single track and only one licensing fee.

One small downside: the “Attention all planets of the solar Federation” pilot voice is included, but it’s not Neil’s voice. In reading the conversation, it sounds to me like his voice IS included within the song but new voice tracks were recorded for isolated game effects. (After reading the transcript, let me know if you come away with the same interpretation.)

They talk about art work, playfield graphics and more. Unless I can upload all 16 pages, here’s a link to the pdf on my Google:

https://drive.google...QxjkgWjvh9/view

Here’s the conversation with the Stern development team:

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

Nice work, thank you for this! :rush:

• Like 2