Def Leppard: Albums Elimination (FINAL ROUND, PLEASE VOTE!)

_hi_water._

26 members have voted

1. 1. Eliminate:

• High 'N' Dry (1981)
    • Pyromania (1983)

Hysteria has been eliminated. :rage:

10. X (2002)

9. Songs From The Sparkle Lounge (2008)

8. Slang (1996)

7. Def Leppard (2015)

6. Euphoria (1999)

5. Adrenalize (1992)

4. On Through The Night (1980)

3. Hysteria (1987)

• Like 1

I'd eliminate them all. Although, I suppose High 'n Dry is their best and purest work.

Maybe they'll team up with Fogelberg or Manilow and do a tribute album to Air Supply and then there'd be something in their catalog to your liking.

• Like 2

I'd eliminate them all. Although, I suppose High 'n Dry is their best and purest work.

Maybe they'll team up with Fogelberg or Manilow and do a tribute album to Air Supply and then there'd be something in their catalog to your liking.

All they have to do is put some effort into lyric writing instead the crap filler they've put out thus far. Tackle something deeper than chick banging and heart breaks.

• Like 1

All they have to do is put some effort into lyric writing instead the crap filler they've put out thus far. Tackle something deeper than chick banging and heart breaks.

When I put on Def Leopard I'm not looking to hear:

"It was just before sunrise

When we started on traditional roles

She said "sure I'll be your partner but don't make too many demands"

I said "if love has these conditions I don't understand those songs you love"

She said "this is not a love song this isn't fantasy land"

• Like 1

Have you ever listened to their album Slang? A lot of the songs have deeper lyrics than on any other Def Leppard album. It made sense to since doing Hysteria part three in the mid 90s would not have worked.

• Like 1

High N Dry sounds like Def Leppard having a great time almost figuring out how to be Thin Lizzy or Judas Priest. Pyromania is perhaps the greatest "hair metal" album ever made.

Globin Gleebin Mountain Globin

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 3

When I put on Def Leopard I'm not looking to hear:

"It was just before sunrise

When we started on traditional roles

She said "sure I'll be your partner but don't make too many demands"

I said "if love has these conditions I don't understand those songs you love"

She said "this is not a love song this isn't fantasy land"

Better than Pour Some Sugar on Me.

Sweet dream, saccharine, loosen up (loosen up)

Loosen up

That shit is deep, so deep put her ass to sleep.

Please. They were 20 somethings who were "banging chicks," under their stage. And, frankly, there is nothing I find more ridiculous than someone who is of, at best, average intelligence trying to sound erudite in a rock song.

• Like 2

Results:

10. X (2002)

9. Songs From The Sparkle Lounge (2008)

8. Slang (1996)

7. Def Leppard (2015)

6. Euphoria (1999)

5. Adrenalize (1992)

4. On Through The Night (1980)

3. Hysteria (1987)

2. High 'N' Dry (1981)

And the winner is...

Pyromania (1983)

• Like 2

I never really considered Def Leppard to be a hair metal band. They always put the music before the image. Hair metal bands always seemed to value what they looked like more than anything else. Steve Clark and Rick Savage had the big hair but that was pretty much it. Joe had a mullet while Phil and Rick Allen always had shorter hair. I never felt that Def Leppard's image superseded the music. A lot of hair bands went so over the top with the look that people couldn't take the music seriously. That didn't happen with Def Leppard. In fact when it came to the image all five members had their own unique look. Almost like they look kind of odd together but when they're playing it makes perfect sense. Oh yeah, the band doesn't like being called hair metal either. I think they see it the same way I do. They are much bigger than that. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Pyromania is the first commercially made tape (ie, not taped from a record) that I ever owned...got it when I got my first walkman! I adored it when it came out...heavy enough to fit in with the heavy metal that I was into at the time, but catchy and "pop" enough to really become a collection of earworms. It managed to exist in the same world as Iron Maiden and Duran Duran at the same time. So it does get my vote as their best album...but it's all pretty much dross to me now. Edited by Timbale
  • Like 1

High N Dry sounds like Def Leppard having a great time almost figuring out how to be Thin Lizzy or Judas Priest. Pyromania is perhaps the greatest "hair metal" album ever made.

Globin Gleebin Mountain Globin

I maybe showing my age LOL ! ������������.. ( early 50s )

but to me Def Leppard were never ever ‘ Hair Metal ‘ ! ������������

This incorrect IMHO term - and I actually lived through this time LOL of ‘ Hair Metal ‘ - has been seemingly retrospectively recently applied to any Hard Rock band who happened to be around circa 83 to 89-90/advent of grunge.

Def Leppard were part of the NWOBHM and on their first two albums OTTN & High ‘n’ Dry to my ears at the time they sounded like a more melodic AC/DC meets Thin Lizzy.

Mutt Lange came onboard as producer in ‘83 and further smoothed out their more jagged edges ... most Def Lep fans would probably agree that Mutt got the balance between Full on Hard Rockin’ &

melody just right on ‘ Pyromania ‘ ... but maybe Mutt took the slick production slightly too far with ‘ Hysteria ‘ ������... Great album though it still is ������������

To me the ‘Hair Metal ‘ tag should be applied to mid to late 80s Glam Metal bands who wore lipstick & whose image seemed as important to their fanbase as their musicianship ... such as Hanoi Rocks, Tigertailz , Poison, Pretty Boy Floyd etc ..

( and yep ok I suppose I’ll reluctantly let you have the likes of

Mötley Crüe & Cinderella too )

Van Halen however , again to me , aren’t ‘ Hair Metal ‘ they are the late 70s Hard Rock band who were so far ahead of the time that they were making 80s music 2 years in advance of the decade to come

VH are nowadays deemed as being the main influence to those bands who are lumped into this ‘ Hair Metal ‘ category, however to my eyes/ears they were much more than that.

Interesting! See, to me, Def Leppard from Pyromania onwards are undeniably playing in the same wheelhouse as Poison, Bon Jovi, Ratt, Motley Crue, Cinderella, and all the other popular hair metal bands (and I would definitely consider all of those bands hair metal at least on their most popular songs). It's not so much to do with them being popular rock bands in the mid-80s as it is a certain sound and image that seems to match. Like, Guns N Roses falls into that period, and they even have a lot of the hair metal image to boot, but they're just far too rough and tumble to sound like a hair band to me. The music is well produced but never over polished, and everything they do seems more lifted from Aerosmith than Van Halen (who I don't believe are hair metal but I do believe paved the way as every hair metal band copied them). But all in all, I'm likely showing my age, as I'm only 23, and all this stuff is much older than me.

I appreciate you comments EP , and I can understand - with you obviously being so young

at only 23 , and so wasn’t even born at the time - how you would have reached this

conclusion.

EP ... I think it’s great that you have such a great breadth of

knowledge and passion for music.

You have clearly gone out of your way to listen to as many different genres of

current and past music as possible, so kudos to you my good sir :-)

• Like 1