Musical intervals

Laurabw

I know somewhere there was a topic about something new I learned in the world of music today but I couldn’t find it. Anyway what I did find today by accident was this cool video on how to identify musical note intervals. And yes our three boys are included in this lesson.

• Like 3

I know somewhere there was a topic about something new I learned in the world of music today but I couldn’t find it. Anyway what I did find today by accident was this cool video on how to identify musical note intervals. And yes our three boys are included in this lesson.

Very useful. Thank you! :)

You're welcome! "here comes the bride" was the one I've always used for fourths, and that was the only one I'd ever learned. The Star Wars one totally resonates with me for the 5th and the rest I'll eventually remember. But it's good for sight reading. or just knowing how something is supposed to sound ahead of time.
  • Like 1

I may take the challenge and play the intervals with my bass and figure out some tunes that I can replace the not-familiar ones presented on the video with. For the 4th Here Comes the Bride is a good choice.

For the 5th I was immediately thinking about a famous and maybe the most often used Finnish wedding march from a fairy-tale play Prinsessa Ruusunen (Sleeping Beauty). This Festival March was composed by one of the greats, Erkki Melartin, around 1904 and is a real tear-dropper as the first notes start echoing in the church. I remember watching an old movie adaptation of this fairy-tale play, and this wedding theme hit me years before the Star Wars theme.

Edited by Sun & Moon

I've never heard of him, or the song, but it's a good choice! I'd be interested to hear what other ones you come up with.

• Like 1

I've never heard of him, or the song, but it's a good choice! I'd be interested to hear what other ones you come up with.

He was one of those composers that stood in the big shadow of Sibelius in the early 1900's. Here's an article from the archives of FMQ magazine, it illustrates a bit of his work: https://fmq.fi/articles/erkki-melartin-a-symphonic-composer-of-international-stature

This interval task will be a fun one! Let's see what I will find out. I'm eager to read about the choices of other TRF members as well.

1) I knew once I started watching the video that Rush would be the tritone, and it would be YYZ.

2) I was curious if David was going to repeat the myth about the tritone being banned by the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages. But to his credit, he started out by saying it was a disproven myth.

• Like 2

The one that really impressed me was the minor 3rd and Mad World, and he referenced the Gary Jules version.
  • Like 1