Two years later

Charlotte7598

Every so often I still watch "Dinner with Rush." I happened to be watching it the other day and was busy in the next room and just listened to it. When you aren't looking at them and just listening it becomes obvious that Neil's laugh is the loudest, bellowing and at times almost "crying with laughter." I encourage you to try this as an experiment and enjoy Neil's laughter.

He seemed almost unable to control himself, a testament to their absolute trust in each other? Like, I don't always have to been in control of my emotions, at least not around these two clowns!

A "safe space" and as a fan I feel absolutely lucky that it made it to the cut.

Absolutely.

• Like 1

^^^ From the comments, a cool anecdote...

David J Perkins

Geez- what did I learn from Neil. I came up with Neil in St. Catharines,ONT. He was a phenom in those early high school bands. A few years after school I got the call that Neil's replacement in a local bar band had another gig so I worked for a couple of months subbing in. Neil came by one night and asked me about my ride patterns- I was a jazz based drummer so rock was not foreign to me (from the prog stuff) but I was more "swishy" than a rock player. He told me that toms were not the enemy and he sat in for a set that night and I got to see (on my drum set no less) him play the same tunes HIS way- it was eye opening. We spoke a bit after- I told him I would be working on voicing with more toms and bass drum if he got on the ride every so often lol.....he said he would but it would drive a lot harder to be useful...laughing.....a few bands later our orbits intersected as my bandmates ended up on the Moving Pictures album cover- our manager was Bob King (aka the Naked Guy) and Hugh was a pal . In the years following I found myself in Dan Lanois on a session with a big set of drums- 5 toms....!!! never played on a kit like that but what popped into my head- Neil's advice....!! I brought in all kinds of fills and orchestrations on that album and it was a blast. So thanks for the advice and when I first heard Spirit of Radio and the section with that driving ride/bell pattern- I smiled , he took our deal and made it into something amazing. He was meant to be great.

Show less

thats very cool.
  • Like 3

How many of you have a tear in your eye when you hear a rush tune on the radio? I do.

:(

Not so much on the radio for me any more... but when I play the songs now, my first thought is to Neil. Before I remember why I liked the band...the energy and vibe.

I can't believe it's really over, and 2 years later I still can't believe that he's really gone.

• Like 3

How many of you have a tear in your eye when you hear a rush tune on the radio? I do.

Not so much on the radio for me any more... but when I play the songs now, my first thought is to Neil. Before I remember why I liked the band...the energy and vibe.

I can't believe it's really over, and 2 years later I still can't believe that he's really gone.

Tonight I'm thinking a lot about how much I miss Rush and how I wish I could go to another concert. 2 years later but feels like yesterday. Tomorrow is the official anniversary...

• Like 1

and on this day, the 7th, we didn't even know he was gone. And there was no Covid, either. It was just a regular old winter's day. Not that I would want to stop time in the middle of the winter, but it doesn't look so bad now!

This was the blog I wrote:

https://andthentherewasthis.home.blog/2020/01/23/exit-the-professor/

Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 2

and on this day, the 7th, we didn't even know he was gone. And there was no Covid, either. It was just a regular old winter's day. Not that I would want to stop time in the middle of the winter, but it doesn't look so bad now!

https://andthenthere...-the-professor/

First time I've read your blog - very nice. A great snapshot of 'the end'.

FWIW, your reaction was my reaction when I first heard. "Wait, WHAT?". In text. My buddy texted me with the news he'd just heard.

I couldn't believe it, came here and saw the thread. Then texted back "f**k, it's true". So, that was that day. When we knew it was all truly over.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

FWIW, your reaction was my reaction when I first heard. "Wait, WHAT?". In text. My buddy texted me with the news he'd just heard.

I couldn't believe it, came here and saw the thread. Then texted back "f**k, it's true". So, that was that day. When we knew it was all truly over.

Thanks!

Yeah, right? It was just so bizarre and out of nowhere. Ton of bricks.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Yeah, right? It was just so bizarre and out of nowhere. Ton of bricks.

Such a bolt from the blue and incredibly sad news. An awful start to what has become two awful years.

One of the reasons I joined TRF was the impact that Neil's passing had on me, and the realisation of just how much Rush has meant to me over the years.

• Like 4

With so many people who influenced Rush still with us, I was not remotely prepared for him to die - hadn't even considered it. I remember just feeling utterly shocked. One of my oldest friends, who I am lucky to still be in contact with, was the first to text me the news. Neil was our hero when we were both 12 years old. He was the perfect person to get the news from. Still have a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around Neil dying so (relatively) young - particularly before he had sufficiently scratched the itch of being a travelogue writer and gotten around to doing what most of us wanted from a book of his - a proper memoir of his time in the band. I feel robbed of the insight he might have gained around Rush with time and old age.
  • Like 5

Aside from a few weeks after it happened and I didn't want to hear anything, Listening to Rush songs don't bother me that way.. A handful of the tributes can still be a little rough as is the birthday/anniversary thing...

• Like 2

And today is the anniversary of when we actually found out. :(

I was just about to fall asleep on the couch when I took one last peek at The Rush Forum on my phone.

I saw the new topic header at the top of the main page, opened my eyes fully, and looked again.

I got right up, walked over to my computer and got onto The Rush Forum. Couldn't believe what I was reading. Total shock. :o

• Like 1

It still astonishes me that they all managed to not only keep his illness a secret all that time, but then his death for a few days too.
  • Like 2

And today is the anniversary of when we actually found out. :(

I was just about to fall asleep on the couch when I took one last peek at The Rush Forum on my phone.

I saw the new topic header at the top of the main page, opened my eyes fully, and looked again.

I got right up, walked over to my computer and got onto The Rush Forum. Couldn't believe what I was reading. Total shock. :o

I remember when I found out, I was just sitting on the couch scrolling through the news app on my phone when I saw an article about it. I thought it was a prank article at first, but upon looking into it I realized it was true. Very, very sad day, and made me more regretful that I missed R40.

• Like 1

It still astonishes me that they all managed to not only keep his illness a secret all that time, but then his death for a few days too.

It's pretty amazing how they did it. If people found out and he started getting all that attention, he probably would have died even sooner from the stress, knowing how reserved he is. From what I understand, the fact that he survived 3 and a half years with glioblastoma is pretty remarkable. People die pretty quickly from it.

• Like 2

So it's been just barely under two years since Neil's death, anyone else still feeling the impact? New to the forum btw, hi ������������

I'm new to the forum today too. My post count is working backwards though which is very weird.

Once you hit 100100 posts you become "The Body Electric" and you start going backwards in time. Like Mork And Mindy's baby. Like Benjamin Button..............

• Like 2